News and Items of Interest

Options
KahuNZ
KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
Thought I would start a new thread that we can inform each other of news articles that concern diets exercise etc.
Today the NZ Herald had this article.
'Everything you know about dieting is wrong'

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10786947

There is a link there in this sentence - 'Their model was first published in The Lancet in August 2011. A link is available here'
I opened it and put the data in and it was quite interesting. (a little technical)

Replies

• AriadneSnow
    AriadneSnow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Very interesting - the article backed up a lot of the things that I've learned on MFP. For example, that if you eat too little you'll plateau. I put all my measurements into the calculator and to lose the weight in the amount of time I want, I have to eat roughly the amount of calories I'm eating now. Very good to know!
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This article is interesting too - I've recently cut out all wheat (amongst other things)... feel so much better!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html

Glad I'm gluten free now!!
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    This article is interesting too - I've recently cut out all wheat (amongst other things)... feel so much better!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/wheat-gluten_b_1274872.html

Glad I'm gluten free now!!
    Hi heathernz
    It was a interesting article. I believe that our wheat has changed over the years but I'm not a 'gluten free' person. I used to make my own bread and eat far too much but since being on MFP, I now only have Vogels as I know the calorie content. I think generally when you start looking and logging what you actually eat you become aware of the good and 'bad' foods. Everything in moderation. If I could make Vogels myself I would, but haven't succeeded!
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Reading a very interesting book called 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall. Only read a few pages but enjoying it

Review from a web site........
    Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all, pure inspiration, Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world's greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong.
    Isolated by the most savage terrain in North America, the reclusive Tarahumara Indians of Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons are custodians of a lost art. For centuries they have practiced techniques that allow them to run hundreds of miles without rest and chase down anything from a deer to an Olympic marathoner while enjoying every mile of it. Their superhuman talent is matched by uncanny health and serenity, leaving the Tarahumara immune to the diseases and strife that plague modern existence. With the help of Caballo Blanco, a mysterious loner who lives among the tribe, the author was able not only to uncover the secrets of the Tarahumara but also to find his own inner ultra-athlete, as he trained for the challenge of a lifetime: a fifty-mile race through the heart of Tarahumara country pitting the tribe against an odd band of Americans, including a star ultramarathoner, a beautiful young surfer, and a barefoot wonder.

With a sharp wit and wild exuberance, McDougall takes us from the high-tech science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultrarunners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to the climactic race in the Copper Canyons. Born to Run is that rare book that will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that the secret to happiness is right at your feet, and that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    I had been looking for a site that I can log my exercise and set goals and for it to track how you are going etc. I found this site which seems quite good so far (only been logging on it for two days)
    www.shapelink.com

Does anyone else use these type of sites to log your exercise? I know there are heaps around but its finding one that works for you and is free!
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is great to be able to track your progress in time, speed, distance. i use mapmyrun.com which details the distances etc on a calandar to track these. i am aiming to run 70km this month so it will be easy for me to track, oh and its free
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    From tubby to trim in FOUR MINUTES a day

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2120201/From-tubby-trim-FOUR-MINUTES-day.html

Hard to believe!!!
  • lisajnz
    lisajnz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    www.dailymile.com :) My other favourite site - lots of likeminded people, tracks your miles etc each day/week/month, I also find it good for tracking things like how long I've been using my shoes.

I'm lisajnz (beckfamily@paradise.net.nz) there as well if you want to join and add a friend :)
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Wrote to Bundaberg recently as noticed in the supermarket the price between non diet and Diet drinks were the same but you had a smaller bottle for Diet drinks. I thought this was a bit of a ripoff. Anyway Bundaberg told me that the s/market sets the price. I ask the s/market .........and after a little investigation the s/market replies.....Bundaberg sell both products to the s/market the same price.

I write again to Bundaberg...........seems you telling me porkies!!!

Then I received a phone call from the company...... Ohh Ohh seems someone told you incorrectly... OHH shock horror!! After listening to salesspeech................the jist of it is that WOMEN are targeted as they are the ones that BUY diet drinks and would prefer in a smaller/slimline bottle! The men on the other hand want the big round bottle!
    BS to all that........next is the salespeech that says …...the manufacturing costs are higher.........I gave up!
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Want to lose weight? Tuck in to curry, chocolate and cheese! I love all of these things mmmm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2140470/Want-lose-weight-Tuck-curry-chocolate-cheese.html
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Healthy Food Guide this month says
    'Despite Popeye's strength, iron is not the greatest source of iron. A cup of raw spinach only contains around 1mg iron, and spinach also contains oxalic acid, which binds with iron and inhibits its absorption'

I thought that was interesting as being a vegetarian I like to have spinach thinking I was getting iron!

Some examples of iron in foods -
    Tofu has 5.4mg per 100g
    An egg has 1.2mg iron.
    Green mussels 8.6mg per 1/2 cup
    Vension 5.3mg per 120g

RDI for men of all ages and women over 51yrs is 8mg
    RDI for women 19-50yrs is 18mg
  • paxier
    paxier Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wrote to Bundaberg recently as noticed in the supermarket the price between non diet and Diet drinks were the same but you had a smaller bottle for Diet drinks. I thought this was a bit of a ripoff. Anyway Bundaberg told me that the s/market sets the price. I ask the s/market .........and after a little investigation the s/market replies.....Bundaberg sell both products to the s/market the same price.

I write again to Bundaberg...........seems you telling me porkies!!!

Then I received a phone call from the company...... Ohh Ohh seems someone told you incorrectly... OHH shock horror!! After listening to salesspeech................the jist of it is that WOMEN are targeted as they are the ones that BUY diet drinks and would prefer in a smaller/slimline bottle! The men on the other hand want the big round bottle!
    BS to all that........next is the salespeech that says …...the manufacturing costs are higher.........I gave up!
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

ha interesting! shame they didn't send you some freebies though.
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    On Yahoo today...'The truth about calories'

http://nz.lifestyle.yahoo.com/mens-health/nutrition/healthy-eating/article/-/14425252/the-truth-about-calories/

Stuff we all know, but quite interesting.
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    A note to NZers on MFP
    - if you create a new food or edit one add (nz) to the title as it helps when we search for NZ foods.
    It looks like we have a good database already.
  • marsoe
    marsoe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    A note to NZers on MFP
    - if you create a new food or edit one add (nz) to the title as it helps when we search for NZ foods.
    It looks like we have a good database already.
    And remember to change kilojoules into cals!
  • KahuNZ
    Options
    Consumer mag this month - talks about muesli - can't show the whole report but the jist of it.............

Despite muesli's health halo, it frequently includes ingredients you wouldn't want in a "healthy" breakfast food.
    Our survey of 75 products found many contain extra oils and sweeteners, increasing their fat and sugar content.
    If you're looking for a lower-fat lower-sugar muesli, check the nutrition information panel (usually found on the back of the packet).

Lower fat
    Many mueslis contain vegetable oils in addition to the fats in nuts and seeds. Less than 12g of total fat and less than 2.9g per 100g of saturated fat is lower than average. The ingredients list will help you identify whether the fat comes mainly from nuts and seeds or from added oils.

Lower sugar
    Most mueslis contain added sugars, sometimes disguised as honey, golden syrup, maple syrup or glucose. Some of the dried fruit used in muesli may also be sweetened with extra sugar. Check the ingredients list for added sugar. Less than 18.9g of sugar per 100g is lower than average.

Products that have more fruits and nuts or more-expensive varieties are usually dearer. Sultanas tend to be the main fruit in mueslis at the cheaper end of the market.
    But paying more doesn't necessarily mean you're getting a "healthier" product. If you want a muesli without all the extra oils and sugars, your best bet may be to make it at home.
  • 708Vivian
    708Vivian Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the articles, they are great late night reading :)