Shopping Primal on a budget

Options
Hi guys!

Normally, I am al on board for grass fed meats and organic veggies. But I need to budget this month for an upcoming event.
Can anyone offer suggestions on budget friendly meals/shopping ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I have a very lovely relationship with the meat guy at my local grocery store...I ask him when things are going to go on sale and if he has any special cuts of meat that fit my specific requirements (grass fed, or free range, or whatever). He has recommended me coming in towards the end of the day so that he can mark down some of the meat that is nearing the end of its shelf life. Since I'll cook it that night, its cheaper! I also look at the normal weekly add and plan at least one meal around whatever organic meat is on sale---lately its been ground natural chuck so I've been making meat balls, taco salads, meat loaf, or bunless burgers for dinner the past few weeks.
  • brooksingletary
    brooksingletary Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why hello! I was in the same boat yesterday, but stumbled upon a good website. I should add I appreciate the "weekly meals" aspect of the site. It may help to answer your question.

http://paleoonabudget.com/
  • livetothebeatYOLO
    Options
    Wow, you must have an awesome local grocery store- ours never have organic meats on sale! I usually get the majority of my food from the farmers market, including eggs and meats.

Thanks for that website, I'm going to check it out!

I may just have to prioritize what is more important. After all, it's only for a month or so right?! It's hard to get out of that mindset though, even if for a month! :(
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Costco is pretty helpful for this-- sucks the week that I buy in bulk, but we eat out of the freezer for the rest of the month. It works out pretty well.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Costco is pretty helpful for this-- sucks the week that I buy in bulk, but we eat out of the freezer for the rest of the month. It works out pretty well.

Same.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Does your Costco have grass fed beef or free range chicken?? I looked last weekend and did not see anything?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

Does your Costco have grass fed beef or free range chicken?? I looked last weekend and did not see anything?

They do have bison (ground and steak) and wild salmon this time of year. I generally hate chicken, so I don't usually pick it up (and when I do, wander to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods). I get beef from WF/TJs too. We eat a lot of fish, eggs and chicken sausage, with ground bison/beef to mix it up.

Husband can't digest fat (lots of things, actually) well, so extra lean beef trumps grass fed in our house.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

They have but they are skinless and boneless. Yuck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Go hunting! LOL (Yes, I am aware that not all of us have the time, resources, or live in a location where that is a possibility, but if you can do it, it's ideal!)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Go hunting! LOL (Yes, I am aware that not all of us have the time, resources, or live in a location where that is a possibility, but if you can do it, it's ideal!)

I forgot to mention that hunting for food is great for the body, mind and soul. Not to mention that you know that the meat was not raised on a feed lot. :)
  • bongbunny
    bongbunny Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you looked to see if there's a farmers market nearby? I get 60-80% of my fresh fruit and veggies there, and the cost is incredibly low ($.50 a spaghetti squash, $.25 peppers, etc). My market also has grass-fed beef at nearly the same cost as the grocery store's pink slime. I go every weekend to do the bulk of my shopping.
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I went to a local farmers market for the first time yesterday. I was talking to the farmer who was selling organic free range meat about what he feeds his pigs. I commented that they must be happy pigs, he said they are and showed me a photo of...well, happy pigs. I couldn't buy the meat, felt guilty. I will no doubt get over it ....lol.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I went to a local farmers market for the first time yesterday. I was talking to the farmer who was selling organic free range meat about what he feeds his pigs. I commented that they must be happy pigs, he said they are and showed me a photo of...well, happy pigs. I couldn't buy the meat, felt guilty. I will no doubt get over it ....lol.

I feel much better knowing that I eat "happy" animals, which is how I see wild animals as well. There's no reason why animals shouldn't have a happy life while they are alive. I think it's cruel in the extreme that so many animals are treated inhumanely on industrial farms. I do believe we are what we eat so if one agrees that eating meat is ethical and necessary, as i do, then eating animals that have been treated with care and respect makes sense to me.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Why hello! I was in the same boat yesterday, but stumbled upon a good website. I should add I appreciate the "weekly meals" aspect of the site. It may help to answer your question.

http://paleoonabudget.com/

Thanks for sharing
  • Septlondon
    Septlondon Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I feel much better knowing that I eat "happy" animals, which is how I see wild animals as well. There's no reason why animals shouldn't have a happy life while they are alive. I think it's cruel in the extreme that so many animals are treated inhumanely on industrial farms. I do believe we are what we eat so if one agrees that eating meat is ethical and necessary, as i do, then eating animals that have been treated with care and respect makes sense to me.

I agree with you, that is why I was looking in the first place. I will definately go back, I really want to support primary producers who make the extra effort to do their job in an ethical way.
  • greenlj77
    Options

Yes! That's how I feel. My grandfather used to shoot or fish for his family's dinner. Hunting actually helps to control a booming population of wildlife that might otherwise be prone to disease and starvation. Not to mention that the better the quality of life livestock has, the healthier and more nourshing it will be. It also costs less to raise livestock and is kinder to the Earth than wearing out soil to rotate crops of grain every year. If I hear one more vegetarian tell me how cruel and unethical this is, I will scream.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Yes! That's how I feel. My grandfather used to shoot or fish for his family's dinner. Hunting actually helps to control a booming population of wildlife that might otherwise be prone to disease and starvation. Not to mention that the better the quality of life livestock has, the healthier and more nourshing it will be. It also costs less to raise livestock and is kinder to the Earth than wearing out soil to rotate crops of grain every year. If I hear one more vegetarian tell me how cruel and unethical this is, I will scream.

Thanks for your comments. :) I was a bit worried that I would get jumped on for mentioning hunting!

I watched Price is Right today and it was recorded before Earth Day. One of the prizes were "good for the environment" shoes that were made out of plastic and NO animal products. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Imagine how the Inuit feel when NGOs try to turn the world against their way of life. It's so sad and I've come to think that many people are so disconnected with nature that they just don't know how to be human anymore.

I have a tough time understanding vegans. The few I've met don't look well, though many are slim. There are many books out there written by ex-vegans who explain why they were sick on such a diet even though they wouldn't admit it at the time. However, I respect if people think it is unethical to eat/wear all animals (some people think it's ok to eat cows but not seals!) as long as they recognize that they aren't saving the planet by wearing synthetic materials or eating grain. lol