Lifting belt - when is support needed?

Options
melainemelaine
melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
Hello all,

I hope you can shed some light.

Some say you 'need' a belt, others don't. Now I don't feel like i need the support ( yet), my lifts are fine and feel comfortable.
I currently barbell squat 5x5 60kg and do 60kg DLs.

Now I watched the women's weightlifting on TV for the Olympics, and even there are ladies wearing no belt, some do.

So what is the verdict? are they just stronger in their core? Will they pay for not wearing a belt lifting that heavy when they are old?

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't use a belt. I want my core as strong as the rest of my body. But I'm not lifting olympic weights, either. At any rate, no belt for my purposes.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Taken from a thread on bodybuilding.com:

There are always a lot of posts on belts... their purpose and efficacy, safety, and their resultant impact on training.

Hopefully this thread will help some people see the light, and put to rest a lot of the misinformation out there.

The purpose of a belt is to increase intra-abdominal pressure. By pushing your stomach against the belt, you create internal forces that act on the anterior side of your spine. This works to stabilize your spine, and thus entire body.

This means that more energy can be directed do moving the load, and less to maintaining bodily position. When used effectively, it will help you move bigger weights, and may provide an element of protection. The belt also helps by providing proprioceptive feedback... that is, it provides your body with tactile information, and this helps your brain know where you are in space.

A belt used properly means on a minimal, as needed basis. Generally speaking, this will mean on heavy sets (1-5 reps) of the major compound lifts. The use of the belt is subject to the trainee's discretion... it can be worn whenever they reasonably need the extra support on a lift. This could be a tough 8 rep set of front squats, or perhaps even a less heavy day when their back may already be fried from previous training.

Some trainees, particularly older or injured lifters, may not be able to lift at all without a belt.

Now, there is a common concern that wearing a belt hinders core strength. This is only true if the belt is used inappropriately. Wearing a belt does not cause certain muscle groups to drop out of function. In fact, they are still recieving a stress stimulus. If one wore a belt every single set of their lift, and added 200 lbs to their squat... all the assosciated musculature would still be strengthened. Likely not to its max potential, but the point of this extreme example is to illustrate how the principle of overload does not cease to exist when wearing a belt.

Sub-maximal sets are done beltless, and these should be rising right along with your belted sets. Therefore, your core is still recieving all the stimulation it needs. As well, many people forget that you can do such a thing as direct core work if you are worried about it.

A note on the design of belts.... the contoured ones that are thin in the front were not designed by someone familiar with their functioning. The support given actually comes from the front of the belt, where you push your stomach against it. It should be the same thickness all the way around.

As for how tight to wear it... tight, but not so tight that it restricts your ability to push your stomach out against it. It should be worn well above your pants belt... up on your 'natural waist'.

Used properly, the belt will help push your top end numbers up, resulting in greater overload to the body and long term, greater potential strength. The belt is a tool that can help you train safer and stronger, but like any tool it can also be mis-used.

So please... if you hit your thumb with a hammer, do not blame the hammer.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Taken from a thread on bodybuilding.com:

There are always a lot of posts on belts... their purpose and efficacy, safety, and their resultant impact on training.

Hopefully this thread will help some people see the light, and put to rest a lot of the misinformation out there.

The purpose of a belt is to increase intra-abdominal pressure. By pushing your stomach against the belt, you create internal forces that act on the anterior side of your spine. This works to stabilize your spine, and thus entire body.

This means that more energy can be directed do moving the load, and less to maintaining bodily position. When used effectively, it will help you move bigger weights, and may provide an element of protection. The belt also helps by providing proprioceptive feedback... that is, it provides your body with tactile information, and this helps your brain know where you are in space.

A belt used properly means on a minimal, as needed basis. Generally speaking, this will mean on heavy sets (1-5 reps) of the major compound lifts. The use of the belt is subject to the trainee's discretion... it can be worn whenever they reasonably need the extra support on a lift. This could be a tough 8 rep set of front squats, or perhaps even a less heavy day when their back may already be fried from previous training.

Some trainees, particularly older or injured lifters, may not be able to lift at all without a belt.

Now, there is a common concern that wearing a belt hinders core strength. This is only true if the belt is used inappropriately. Wearing a belt does not cause certain muscle groups to drop out of function. In fact, they are still recieving a stress stimulus. If one wore a belt every single set of their lift, and added 200 lbs to their squat... all the assosciated musculature would still be strengthened. Likely not to its max potential, but the point of this extreme example is to illustrate how the principle of overload does not cease to exist when wearing a belt.

Sub-maximal sets are done beltless, and these should be rising right along with your belted sets. Therefore, your core is still recieving all the stimulation it needs. As well, many people forget that you can do such a thing as direct core work if you are worried about it.

A note on the design of belts.... the contoured ones that are thin in the front were not designed by someone familiar with their functioning. The support given actually comes from the front of the belt, where you push your stomach against it. It should be the same thickness all the way around.

As for how tight to wear it... tight, but not so tight that it restricts your ability to push your stomach out against it. It should be worn well above your pants belt... up on your 'natural waist'.

Used properly, the belt will help push your top end numbers up, resulting in greater overload to the body and long term, greater potential strength. The belt is a tool that can help you train safer and stronger, but like any tool it can also be mis-used.

So please... if you hit your thumb with a hammer, do not blame the hammer.

Yep this is it ^^

Personally I use a belt for squats and deads @ 80% of my 1RM upwards. I don't use it for olympic lifting and don't know many people who do. I imagine its because olys are such dynamic motions that a belt would hinder movement. Also most non-elite people (myself included) aren't snatching or cleaning anywhere near at their true strength potential, because just getting the technique is so damn hard.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I don't use a belt. I want my core as strong as the rest of my body. But I'm not lifting olympic weights, either. At any rate, no belt for my purposes.

I don't use a belt either and have been working out with heavy weights for years. Have not been injured in the gym either. However, I do not think it will hinder the strength of your core if you decide to use one. I believe it's means is to offer support so you are less likely to end up in Snap City if your back is thinking about giving out. Good form and knowing your limits also accounts for remaining injury free.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your response. I stick to no belt then, I doubt I will ever go that heavy to really 'need' one anyway.
  • Nataliaho
    Options

I don't use a belt either and have been working out with heavy weights for years. Have not been injured in the gym either. However, I do not think it will hinder the strength of your core if you decide to use one. I believe it's means is to offer support so you are less likely to end up in Snap City if your back is thinking about giving out. Good form and knowing your limits also accounts for remaining injury free.

It's also just a performance enhancer for comps, if its legal and helps you lift more then you wouldn't wear one? Personally I think wearing one does give me a slight edge, so I do. Kinda like wearing the right shoes :)
  • Nataliaho
    Options

It's also just a performance enhancer for comps, if its legal and helps you lift more then why wouldn't you wear one? Personally I think wearing one does give me a slight edge, so I do. Kinda like wearing the right shoes :)
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    As long as I am in the novice lifter category I don't think a belt is indicated. I expect that I will be in this category for quite some time. When increasing weights on a more advanced program because difficult, I would consider investing in a belt.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Actually, a lot of Olympians do wear belts, but they're more narrow than powerlifter belts to not get in the waty of mobility. I'd say 50% of Olympians have been wearing them at this games. I have a powerlifting belt, i wear it only for things in the 85% + range, and if i do multiple sets at those weights, only for the last set. If you're going to buy a belt, dont skimp.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    No belt.
    If your core needs help, train it more.
    Plank, leg raises, ab circuits, static holds with a weight much higher than your squat, yoke walks. The list is endless.

But in saying that, it all depends on your goals.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    My squats and deads are getting into the #s where I wear a belt. I 've lifted the same #s w/ and w/o. The belt helps. But I don't way to risk and injury going raw
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    This para from the BB.com post pretty much describes why I like the belt.

"The purpose of a belt is to increase intra-abdominal pressure. By pushing your stomach against the belt, you create internal forces that act on the anterior side of your spine. This works to stabilize your spine, and thus entire body."

That's what gets the extra # for me, you push your gut out into the belt and I don't know how to explain it, but it gives that extra grunt to my lift. It could be psychosomatic :) Totally not about weak core though. At the end of the day I do what my powerlifting coach tells me to do, he knows more about this stuff than anyone I've ever met:)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I wear one for 1rm testing for deadlifts. I don't like them for squatting. Just a bit of extra insurance I guess you'd say.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I should try a belt one day...see what it adds.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Dunno if it actually adds anything I think it's a mental thing mostly. When I was testing DLs a few weeks ago I used it from 195kg onwards, made the 200kg, didn't make the 205kg. Took belt off & pulled the 200kg exactly the same as with a belt.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I dont think Belts add to a lift like knee wraps do, its more to hold you tight, and help your form on the sort of weights where form goes out the window.
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    Dunno if it actually adds anything I think it's a mental thing mostly. When I was testing DLs a few weeks ago I used it from 195kg onwards, made the 200kg, didn't make the 205kg. Took belt off & pulled the 200kg exactly the same as with a belt.

You've just gotta believe in the power of the belt:)
  • slimlifter
    slimlifter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference and a hotly debated topic.
    I once had a guy that sells kettle bells try to tell me that for powerlifting I shouldnt be using a belt because it will make my core weaker. What a crock of ****.
    I don't squat to work my core.
    Wear a belt if you feel you need to. That simple.