Strength Training with Fibro

Options
Lynn_SD
Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
Hi all, just wondering what your experiences have been with trying a weight lifting program? I just started MFP about 6 weeks ago, tracking calories, protein, fiber etc and began exercising. I've had fibro for 14 years and have been through all the meds too, lots of side effects from Savella and Neurontin and Cymbalta. On maintenance doses of Ultram, Flexaril and some other pain meds but was still having lots of daily pain. Tried 3 years ago to exercise but had huge fibro flare after 6 weeks in. Also have OA in hands and back, with some radiating nerve pain to left hip.

Exercise IS helping my fibro pain levels, which has greatly surprised me as this never happened before. I have lost about 4 lbs in past 6 weeks, nearly all fat. This time, I have been strength training with weights only twice per week (used to lift 3X per week bFfibro) and trying to do 30 min of cardio 3x per week. The two days that I lift, I do 30 min on a recumbent bike first. The other day, I swim laps in a warm pool for 30 min.

I am NOT doing any type of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) or whole-body lifting or even really heavy weights. I use machines for most of my lower body lifts to minimize any chance of injury, use free weights for upper as I am very petite height-wise and don't fit properly in machines. My weight poundage is between 4 lbs and 23 lbs, depending on exercise. I am only doing 8 to 12 reps and one set at present, just nudging up weight a little on some machines by one pound per time (still looking for that right weight that is hard but not too hard).

I was trying to rest the day after lifting and then go to pool on the 2nd day, but am finding that I wake up hurting MUCH more on the second day after lifting. I guess that makes sense, injuries are always worst 48 hrs out and lifting is breaking down the muscle then rebuilding stronger...anyone else experiencing something like this? Has anyone here with fibro been successful in a long term strength training program with weights?

Replies

• Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have used hand weights and a resistant band. I notice if I do too much my neck starts to hurt. So I am trying to start out slow.. I also walk between 1.5 - 2 miles almost every day. I find walking is pretty nice to my body.. I would like to start jogging at some time, but we'll see about that :) The most in pain pills I have taken since I began exercising is usually 3 Advil at night, and if I hurt a lot I will take a Vicodin.. But I have noticed that my pain is a lot lower now... Sounds as if you are doing the right thing for you, I hope you can keep at it :)
  • Lynn_SD
    Options
    Thanks for your response! For sure you can lose weight with walking, sounds like you have a good program going. I have to force myself to get out of bed every day. I can't do a walking program as I have severe lower back pain from osteoarthritis (combo of a partially herniated disc, narrowed central canal and one vertebra being slipped forward on the lower one so it pinches nerves). I'm in physical therapy right now for that and I had a steroid epidural injection about 6 months ago. So I am sticking to swimming and recumbent bike for now.

My physical therapist gave me a booklet she got at a continuing medical education conference on "Exercise and Fibromyalgia". It says that the bands aren't good for fibromyalgia as they cause "eccentric" contractions (which is responsible for most muscle injury and soreness) whereas regular weights result in "concentric' contractions. I have never used bands, do you notice a difference in soreness between the two?

I rested this weekend and am going back to the gym today. The same booklet says with fibro to have THREE days of recovery between episodes of weight training with no more than two days per week of weights. I'm trying to figure out some schedule where I can also fit in the swimming on days where I am not too sore (one problem is that my gym closes very early on the weekends.) Are you still using the hand weights?

*Is there anyone else in this group who does strength training??*
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,096 Member
    Options
    I am using (now don't laugh) 3 lb. free weights to do some arm exercises. Having trouble with nasty pain on the insides of the elbows so no heavy weights, no push-ups etc. The only exception to my 3 lb. rule is a 5 or 8 lb. weight for one-arm bent over rows. I really find weights problematic and on try twice a week at best.

I hope others have more specific information to share.
  • Lynn_SD
    Options
    Oh Linder, you are right on the money, for my upper body free weights, I am using only 4lb for shoulder, delts and triceps, 7lbs for biceps. The machines are hard to compare as every machine is different, but most I am at the first plate (usually 10 lb, but it is on a pulley system so not really same as lifting 10 lbs of free weights!). We girls gotta start somewhere, right!

Your twice a week for weight training is right on the money, see the post I just put up. I want to get in a day of swimming and thought it would be best after a rest day (so 2 days after weights) but the soreness was so incredible, no way could I swim. Are you noticing any pattern after weight workouts, is the soreness from working out the worst the next day or the day after that?? What kind of pain are you getting in inside of elbows, what exercise elicits it, what weight poundage?

Has anyone come across any current books on Fibromyalgia and Exercise? I bought one book about a decade ago, I think it is still being published, it might be in the back of my bookcase. We need some more current information on exercise and fibro.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,096 Member
    Options
    I seem to have the most pain the day after especially with a bit heavier weights on bicep curls and triceps extensions. The triceps extensions can cause muscle knots across my upper back. I guess all in all, I don't do well with weight training do I? :-}

I am just trying to move my arms more and use the 3 lb weights when I feel *good* which I know is not a very good way to approach training but with fibro not all things are possible on a schedule.
  • gooselili
    gooselili Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do weight training with the 5lbs. I make sure to walk first to warm up my body. If you do weight training without warming up, you will have more pain. I'v be doing it since the first week of May of this year, and week by week I found myself being able to do more and more, even started to use resistand band. Since then I lost 12 lbs and over 2 inchs on my waist and I am very proud of myself because I've put a lot of hours in exercise. I walk on my threadmill minimum of 5 days a week, and a minimum of 30 minutes. No one are the same, when I feel good I can do 90 minutes of walking at 3 miles an hour, but I have days that I might not be able to walk at all. You have to listen to your body but still move, it helps a lot with the pain. Good luck with your training!
  • Bookworm_Chris
    Bookworm_Chris Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am newly diagnosed with Fibro (as of May of this year), but have experienced chronic pain for ages. Since I already take medications for depression, anxiety, migraine, thyroid, and menopause on a daily basis, my doc didn't want to add to that list if it could be helped. So other than Tramadol as needed when the pain simply becomes unbearable (and its odd as to how high that level needs to get, since I've grown so accustomed to being in pain daily), I don't really take anything specifically for the Fibro. My current exercise routine consists mainly of cardio at the gym (treadmill, recumbent/stationary bike). and lots of swimming. On days when I am in more pain than usual, I just walk/jog the lanes of the pool. Today I added the 'water barbells' to my workout. I think I'm going to like that because it lets me do some strength training exercises while working with just the natural resistance of the water. Also, when on land, I currently use 5lb free weights. There are so many different schools of thought out there as to what is 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to strength training. The only one you need to focus on is 'right for you'.!!
  • aweiker
    aweiker Posts: 1
    Options
    During the past year when trying to figure out what's wrong with me, I stopped all cardio but stuck with my upper body weight lifting - I have lifted for years. So glad I did! It doesn't bother my fibro and I don't get the awful pain the next day, like running and biking do to me. I think it's because I never stopped doing it. I am having a hard time getting lower body training into my routine, as it triggers the flares. But I think it's combined with my other lower body stuff I'm starting back up (the cardio). I still lift heavy and do all of the muscles of my upper body. When I am feeling achy, most of the time if I do my weights through the achiness I feel so much better after. I have always been extremely active and love to push my body hard -it's a huge part of who I am! Trying not to overdo it has been such a struggle for me.
  • Ariesmom95
    Options
    Let me preface by saying that I began suffering from fibromyalgia in 2000, but wasn't diagnosed until 2005.

As of February of this year, I have been able to successfully add weight training into my exercise routine. I follow the workout routine for the Body for Life regimen. I lift weights three days a week, alternating upper and lower body. For example, I'll work upper body on Monday, lower body on Wednesday, and upper body again on Friday. The following Monday I will begin the week with lower body, Wednesday - upper body and so on. This allows each much group to fully rest before I work it again. Any soreness I may feel for that muscle group is completely gone before I lift again. If I experience soreness, it is within 24 - 48 hours of lifting, but this is usually only when I haven't lifted for a few weeks (from letting my muscles rest from heavy lifting - at least heavy for me) or when I increase my weights. On my non-weight days I do some type of cardio, anywhere from biking, elliptical, Zumba, Turbo Fire, and even Insanity. I was even able to complete a full round of Insanity (60 days) along with weight training this past spring. I really had to listen to my body though, and some days I needed to rest a little more so that I wouldn't have a flare. I plan on starting another round of Insanity within the next month. It did take me over a year of walking then jogging, the elliptical, Zumba, etc. to build up to this level of fitness again. I would say the key is listening to your body and learning the difference in a flare and normal soreness from a taxed muscle. I push through a little soreness. I would rest with a flare, but I must say that since I have started lifting weights, I have not had a true "flare" this entire year - some aches and at times major fatigue (which I now know the fatigue was from not eating enough), but no actual flares. I think some of my success was having someone (a friend who is also a personal trainer) work out with me in the beginning of my weight training to show me proper form. Improper form can cause more aches and possible injury. A personal trainer can be beneficial, if you can find one experienced in working with clients with fibromyalgia.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    I used to do body pump about 6-7 years ago back in England. I used very light weights no more than 5 Lb but found that plenty and the range of movement seemed to work very well with my fibro- i did that 2 or 3 times a week.

However over the last couple years my fibro has got much worse.

Most of the cardio like aerobics and zumba, although fun, make me suffer more. I still do some of the body pump routines that I can remember at home but I can only do that about once a week using anything between 2-6 LBs depending on the type or how I feel.

I hope you find the right balance for you

Good luck
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training since March, doing deadlifts, squats, etc, and for me I've found that if I don't do anything the day after then I'm a complete mess. For me, I've been alternating with walking/jogging and pilates.

My tendency is to tense up and shrug my shoulders when working out, and it helps relieve a lot of the neck pain when I focus on not doing just that.

One of the biggest helps for me has been stretching, both before and after I lift. I've been doing a combination of dynamic stretches (walking lunges and so on) before and static stretching after (downward dog, cat/cow, etc). The key for me though has been my foam roller, which is my ultimate lifesaver! I spend about 10 minutes a day before doing any workouts just using that, and it has helped tremendously with the pain. Seriously, it looks weird to be loafing around with a giant pool noodle at the gym, but OMG it's amazing.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm
  • Lynn_SD
    Options

THANK YOU for that link; I can't wait to order one! Which one do you use?
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    yw:smile: The one I'm using is similar to this one: http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fitness/yoga+-+exercise+accessories/301017_3072230.do but I've used the textured shorter rollers as well and like them quite a bit. A tennis ball works great for smaller areas too.
  • Lynn_SD
    Options
    My physical therapist put two tennis balls together in a stretchy tube and I've been using that on my back. Only problem is that one of my cats loves it too and plays with it if I don't hide it!