Martial Arts Calorie Burn Calculation...????

Options
ClammyCupcake
ClammyCupcake Posts: 49 Member
How in the eff do you go about trying to calculate calorie burn? 4 days a week, I train 45 minutes of Tang Soo Do and 90 minutes Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. After like 6 months of counting calories I am still at a loss on how to add that up. I am either way overestimating burn or underestimating. I guess around 200-300 for TSD and 500-600 for BJJ? I'm sorry if this is a repeat topic, I am new to this group. How do YOU do it?

Replies

• stephinpitts
    Options
    How in the eff do you go about trying to calculate calorie burn? 4 days a week, I train 45 minutes of Tang Soo Do and 90 minutes Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. After like 6 months of counting calories I am still at a loss on how to add that up. I am either way overestimating burn or underestimating. I guess around 200-300 for TSD and 500-600 for BJJ? I'm sorry if this is a repeat topic, I am new to this group. How do YOU do it?

That's the million dollar question. :)

This website, and the majority of calculators on the web that I've used, seem to assume that each class is the most intense, non-stop class possible. 1,000+ calories per hour is something that I could see happening SOMETIMES, but each class? Heck no.

What I do is I use my heart rate monitor to count my calorie burn during other activities (since HRMs are not allowed during karate class). You get a feel for your calorie burn after awhile, and I try to estimate my cal burn based on the amount of time that I was active during the class.

I've also done some experimenting with how many calories I burn doing kata, and I've also used the HRM to count cals burned when using my punching bag.

It's far from a science and I wish that I could convince our sensei to allow me to use the HRM during at least one evening.
  • ClammyCupcake
    Options
    I'll probably be allowed to use one so long as it doesn't beep, I don't see why they would say no. Thanks! I didn't know those things tracked calories too
  • Recovering_for_cupcakes
    Options
    Personally I cut the count pretty much in half though if I've been doing nothing but sparring drills for an hour I might give it a boost. I figure I'm better of underestimating than over!
  • VirtuallyAmy
    VirtuallyAmy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do not log the entire class time. If it is pretty intense for most of the class, I log more. If it is a slower day, I log way less. Not exact but I use MFP exercise logging ballpark measure anyway so it has worked for me.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    for bjj when it comes to the majority of the class where we are practicing technique w/out much resistance I log it as light aerobics and cut the time in half. I do the same for MMA or Muy Thai...the only thing I log as BJJ is actual rolling and then i still cut the time down although I believe the calculation for rolling is pretty accurate when logged as jiu-jitsu. I log a very small part of the mma/muay thai as sparring/boxing.
  • ClammyCupcake
    Options
    for bjj when it comes to the majority of the class where we are practicing technique w/out much resistance I log it as light aerobics and cut the time in half. I do the same for MMA or Muy Thai...the only thing I log as BJJ is actual rolling and then i still cut the time down although I believe the calculation for rolling is pretty accurate when logged as jiu-jitsu. I log a very small part of the mma/muay thai as sparring/boxing.

Yea we only do about a half hour of rolling, half hour learning and a half intense warm ups
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Personally I cut the count pretty much in half though if I've been doing nothing but sparring drills for an hour I might give it a boost. I figure I'm better of underestimating than over!

This is what I do.
    I'll probably be allowed to use one so long as it doesn't beep, I don't see why they would say no. Thanks! I didn't know those things tracked calories too

If you do full-contact sparring, they might say no due to the chance of breaking it and/or injuring you and/or your partner. It depends, of course, on your style and dojo.