primal blueprint/paleo diet (day 25)

Options
mantisladyx
mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
Hello again, I am bugging the community again.....sad to say, none of my bookstores carry the primal blueprint or the paleo diet, otherwise it would already be in my possession, it is also out and not to be had in the library, I am on the waiting list. So everything I know is from you guys, and I have made my share of my mistakes. MDA is my lifesaver at the moment, but I have been reading so much and not sure if I am reading the right pages. I do feel better then I felt in a long time. My Dry Skin is gone and I think my Body is changing a bit. I find that I am getting a bit shapelier, I still have trouble sleeping, and have to take a sleeping pill every night, so if you guys have any ideas please let me know. I feel like I am still trapped in the dark and groping around blindly, I so want to do things right before I get into a bad habit. I am listening and eager.

Replies

• tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just started reading It Starts With Food. Such a good book, unfortunatly work has been cutting in to my reading time! I actually bought it online and read it on my laptop or iPhone. I did the same with the Primal Blueprint. Just an idea if you don't want to keep waiting for it:)
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have heard that some people take melatonin or magnesium supplements to help them get to sleep tonight. If you spend a good portion of your day outside and eat enough good natural magnesium rich foods, you may not need to go this route.

Here's a few tips from Robb Wolf:
    http://robbwolf.com/2010/12/31/easy-ways-to-be-a-sleep-viking-in-2011/

I highly recommend the F.Lux program for your computer that he links in that post. It takes a little getting used to, but if you're on your computer after the sun goes down, I find it REALLY helps. I had no idea the light from my computer screen was making it so hard for me to sleep before I tried it! Once you've used it a few days, you don't even really notice when it's on or not, and if you disable it, the brightness of the screen hurts your eyes!

I know you said you've been all over MDA, here are the pages I would recommend you check out there if you've missed them:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sleep/#axzz22OojuQ00
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-ways-to-improve-your-sleep/#axzz22OojuQ00

For me to sleep well, I need to stick to a routine. I get up early, and try to get as much time outside in a day as life allows. I try to be in bed around the same time each night. If the weekends keep me up late, it seems to take awhile for me to get back into a decent sleep schedule. I limit my caffeine intake to 2 cups of coffee a day, and they HAVE to be in the morning for me. Through trial and error I've discovered that an afternoon coffee/tea will definitely keep me awake. Rooibos (caffeine free) tea is a good afternoon substitute. I sleep best on the night where I have done strength training that day, what are you doing for exercise? I also try to walk everyday which I find helps me feel more tired come bedtime. I try to avoid sugar after supper. These are just things that I've found work for me, as long as I stick to them. Doing it for one day is not long enough to see any results so try a few things out for several weeks before you decide if it helps or not!

Good luck!
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I signed up for MDA's email newsletter. You'll get 1 a day for 7 days that does a great job explaining the basics, especially the "why" of Primal Blueprint. I actually have the book, and all it does it take the 7 principals and expands on them a bit. After that, you'll only receive 1 email a week. Nothing overwhelming.

I believe I bought Primal Blueprint through Amazon for about $12.
  • GnaBean
    Options
    Also, what kind of problems are you having with sleep? Since starting the Primal lifestyle, I noticed that my arms and legs were kind of crampy at bedtime. I did a Google search or a search on MDA, and started taking some magnesium supplements at bedtime, I no longer have this issue.
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    If I don't take Sleeping Pills......I have tried and tried to stay away from them, I have insomnia for most of the night, it's like watching the clock every hour on the hour and being awake and in the morning even though I've been in bed all night I feel horrible and exhausted.
  • GnaBean
    Options
    Have you done research or tried Melatonin? I wasn't sure if the sleep issue was a new thing since you started Primal lifestyle or not.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If I don't take Sleeping Pills......I have tried and tried to stay away from them, I have insomnia for most of the night, it's like watching the clock every hour on the hour and being awake and in the morning even though I've been in bed all night I feel horrible and exhausted.

Does this happen to you night after night for two weeks or more if you stop taking the sleeping pills? Rebound insomnia is quite a common side effect of being dependent on sleeping pills for too long.

From WebMD:
    Can I Become Dependent on Sleeping Pills?

For short-term insomnia, your doctor may prescribe sleeping pills for several weeks. Yet after regular use for a longer period, your sleeping pill may stop working as you build a tolerance to the medication. You may also become psychologically dependent on the medicine. Then the idea of going to sleep without it will make you anxious.

Without the sleeping pill, you might find it difficult to sleep. If that happens it could be a sign of a physical or emotional dependence or both. Some studies show that long-term use of sleeping pills actually interferes with sleep. The best way to avoid developing a physical or emotional dependence on sleeping pills is to follow your doctor's instructions and stop taking the drug when recommended.
  • ethelapple
    Options
    how about more long slow exercise for the sleeping issue? i find a nice loooong walk always sets me up to be really tired in the evneing.
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    I have been on the Sleeping pills (prescription) for a very long time, pretty sure over a year already, so I had that problem long before I started primal. Last time I tried to go off on my own and yes, I was not able to sleep, and then the next day I feel run down. I will look into the Melatonin and see where I could buy it and then try it. Thanks for all the help, I sure appreciate it.