Long Term Posties

Options
Scribetoo
Scribetoo Posts: 181 Member
I'm almost 8 years out (November will be 8yrs) and my last visit to my surgeon was in 2007 before moving to Wisconsin.

I haven't had blood work done. I have been intermittent at best for taking any kind of vitamins.

I don't have a horrible diet -- I try to stay away from most fried things and too much salt or fat.. I eat fresh vegetables.. love to cook (and always with olive oil).. rarely eat fast food and generally do pretty okay with carbs..

This is not to say that I am confused as to why I have gained 20 pounds from my final weight (I had settled at between 240 and 250 when my surgery loss stopped).. I know exactly why and I'm definitely making some more changes to restart the process.. including finally finding a bariatric surgeon near me who is willing to take me on as a post-op patient so I can get back on track with my blood work .. address any issues that may be looming but not symptomatic yet..

My question to you is, did you fall of this same wagon and if so, what were your consequences? Did you fall off for a long time, like me or just a little while? And if you had consequences, were you able to reverse the damage?

I'm definitely frustrated with myself over this tumble I've taken. I risked my life to have surgery.. and it most certainly SAVED my life to have it.. and it's been a long, hard road to get here.. the thought of having nearly thrown it all away is jarring and terrifying to me and I want to stop the avalanche if I can..

Thanks for your comments!
Stef

Replies

• pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Stef,
    I cannot reply as a post RNY patient, because I'm only six weeks out, BUT I can respond as a 54 year old woman (from Minnesota) who has lost the same 100+ pounds TWICE and gained them all back plus, TWICE. For me, through both losses, the closer I got to a 'normal' weight and size, the more 'normal' I told myself I was, the more I ate what I wanted when I wanted...period. I considered myself healed, and I didn't do any of the work that I did to lose in the first place. Aso, the gains came VERY slowly, and it was relatively easy to justify the gains in small increments and ignore them. I don't know what you're doing, but for me it was a matter of constant mind games and rationalizations around behaviors that I knew were going to sabotage me.
    I had RNY in June because I simply couldn't muster what it took to lose it again on my own. That said, I'm very conscious of my thinking now and relying heavily on my bariatric team to guide me instead of thinking I can or need to do it alone. I heard at OA once:
    "We are only as sick as our secrets," so as long as I'm honest with MYSELF and my team about what I'm doing, I expect this to be the last time I have to deal with morbid obesity.
    I hope that helps.
    pat
  • amberrenae1
    Options
    Next month will be 7 years for me. My beggining weight was 332, I stopped loosing at 167 lbs which I was estatic at. I also have been lax in taking my vitams every day and seeing my surgeon once a year. This month I tipped the scales at 225.00. I kept telling myself with each 5 pounds its no big deal, think of what I used to be, but it was a big deal and now 58 pounds later I find myself unhappy and hating to look in the mirror again. So here I am trying to loose the weight and am so mad at myself for gaining it back!

Somewhere deep down I wonder if I ever got over being the "fat" girl. I am an emotional eater and in the last 7 years I have had a lot of downs but that is no excuse! So I'm right here with you. Sometime I think that I never really learned to eat. I was starving for 2 years and when I finally could eat again boy did I!

Friend me if you like and we can do it together!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 years out from my RNY. I'm still at goal and do take my vitamins eveyday, but honestly have not been back to my surgeon in 2 years. I did have some basic labwork done last summer before my plastics, but I do need a full workup. I have an appointment with my PCP next week and will try to get him to order extra labs. My insurance sucks and I cannot afford to go to my surgeon right now.
  • slfam
    slfam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 5 years out and have had a 50 pound regain due to my poor eating habits and lack of exercise. I am faithful with my vitamins and labs as well as my protein drinks which has been my saving grace. I am a very healthy obese person! I never got down to goal; I went from 310 to 195 and now I am back up to 245. My local YMCA was having a special so I have purchased a few hours with a personal trainer and am back to exercising 4 times a week. Now I am about to implement a plan for healthier eating and getting back to basics. I haven't seen my surgeon for years but have found a PCP who will order my labs for me. He isn't very good at tracking them so I do that myself. I have noticed my iron and calcium dipping so I am getting on top of that before it gets on top of me!!! Vitalady.com has been a tremendous help for many of us who are in this position (No, I have NO ties with her other than being a satisfied customer) and there is also a yahoo support group Graduate-OSSG@yahoogroups.com for any of you who may be interested in joining for some support and honesty. :)
  • Scribetoo
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses and comments. Tomorrow is my first visit with my new bariatric surgeon -- the surgeon who performed my procedure in down in Illinois and it's out of network for me to see him now :( .. that makes me kind of sad because I WOULD go to the ends of the earth to be his patient. He was amazing. Honest, forthright and direct, funny.. not too bad on the eyes, either..

Still struggling some.. trying to shed the five # I came home with from tour -- I'm down 3.. just two more to get back to my STARTING POINT.. *ugh* Thinking about going back to MFP's calorie intake instead of my resting caloric needs.. that's just not working out for me and I'm not betting on my bloodwork reflecting any kind of issue that could resolve the difficulty dropping weight so I just have to keep moving forward..

Oh well.. ONWARDS..

Stef
  • Kelleigh710
    Kelleigh710 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a hybrid...I had an RNY in 2000. Lost about 110 pounds but never made it to goal. I regained everything and more... and then had a lapband placed over my gastric bypass in 2010. I only recently had my band filled for the first time and have been having newfound success with that and an amazing exercise regimen. I just had to go back to basics. Hang in there Stef, you'll be fine!
  • maylene1853
    Options
    i am almost 3 years out. immediately after surgery i left the country and had no post surgery after care, took no vitamins ect and im paying for it now! i went down to 126 pounds but i felt ill. finally went to the doc and i was chronic anemic, extremely vitamin deficient. i now get monthly b shot and every couple of months iron infusion. i now have regular doctor care. i see a hematologist monthly. i have gained weight tho so i joined mfp to nip that in the bud! im currently 145. the doc likes me at the 140s, says that fine for me. not to go under 130... im 5'5.75
    i want to be 135 personally.
    im scared of regain.
  • Scribetoo
    Options
    So.. I met with my new surgeon and he's a little bit stiff (I'm used to a doctor who is a little more animated) but I like him. He's honest and forthright and he speaks in terms I can understand easily.. which I prefer.

He ordered my bloodwork (I have to go in and get it done still) but after talking about what I have (and haven't) been doing, he is concerned that I may be B12 deficient and Iron deficient -- so even before my bloodwork, he suggested some changes to my daily vitamin regimen and I'm gathering those things now. In addition to my daily multi-vitamin, I have to take a sublingual B12 twice a week, two Viactiv +Ds a day and an iron supplement that I had some trouble finding.. it has to be a ferrous fumarate supplement so it will absorb better and I had to special order it at the local organic grocery but it's not very expensive so I'm okay with that.

I will see him again in 6 months, provided there is no glaring concern raised by my bloodwork.. then I think we'll go to yearly check-ups.

I guess this just means don't take your after-care lightly, right?

Thanks all, for your support and input. It's so greatly appreciated!

Stef
  • EmilyBoots
    EmilyBoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Please keep us updated, Stef! I'm almost exactly in your position and I'm very curious to see how things go for you.
    Emily