It's about DAMN TIME...

Options
I'm so fed up with us skinny folks not having much support. And then when we discuss our weight issues and goals to others, we get the crazy looks like "Y r u complaining?" Add me as your friend and you can see my story. Frustrations with these damn ideal target....I'm 16 lbs away from my goal and its sooo hard. Tell me y I lost 3 lbs overnight just by sleeping and staying in bed all day????? I'm about to say screw it. It took 4 years to go from 88 lbs to 104 lbs. and maintain it. 4 damn years!!!!

Replies

• ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    Yea, sucks losing weight just by sleeping, yet I can be on my feet all day lifting heavy objects at work, come home and not lose a single pound, even when I don't eat during that time. I guess the body burns fat/energy to heal itself when sleeping or something.

I've actually gained about 30 pounds since I first came here a month and half ago, however half of that probably in my tummy since I've been gorging myself with not so healthy foods.

My biggest struggle right now is trying to eat healthy foods that don't drain my wallet and that don't taste horrible and don't fill my stomach up before I eat enough calories/nutrients.

Good luck, it will be a long journey before results can be seen.
  • RyderJac
    RyderJac Posts: 4
    Options
    Right there with you guys. Thank goodness I stumbled across this site. Sure has been helpful in at least guiding my progress, and lack thereof. Trying to find that balance between finding at least semi-healthy food, not breaking the bank, and gaining weight without limiting activity is harder than it looks. Wish us luck!
  • acemdd
    acemdd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i have been skinny my whole life . i always have people tell me they will give me a few pounds of theirs. if only it were that easy. the other thing people tell me alot is all the thing they cant eat but i should eat.
    i just went to the doc and she now wants me to eat 3000 calories a day. i was struggling to eat 2000 a day im not sure how im gona get 3000. hang in there . good luck
  • RyderJac
    Options
    Hey, Ace, same here. People always offer me their weight, and also there were those dire warnings that because I could eat whatever, whenever, and never gain, it'd all catch up to me when I turned 30, then 40. I'm 50 now and weigh the same I did in junior high. I'm trying to maintain a 3000 calorie per day diet, but also trying to balance them out between carbs, fat, & protein. For me, that's the hardest part. Then too, I'm really not all that hungry til later in the day, and forcing myself to eat, just leaves me tired & bloated feeling. However, I did find that if I eat at least a small breakfast, I'm more likely to want to eat a little earlier in the day.

Hope you have success.
    Good luck.
  • acemdd
    acemdd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ryder i was on a 2000 calorie diet but my doc just told me to eat 3000 calories a day. and i too find it easier to eat later in the day . how do you eat 3000 cal a day. it seem so hard for me . i try to eat high cal foods but i also want to be healthy.
    good luck to u as well
  • RyderJac
    Options
    Hey Ace, pretty darned hard to maintain the 3000 calorie/day plan, and I don't always succeed. I work as a manager at a retail store, so I'm constantly moving and found that I was burning almost 2100 calories a day (my intake was averaging only about 1800) and was left with very little time to eat a regular meal until after I got home. So when I embarked on my moving toward my weight gain goal, I started packing "meals" that could be eaten a bit at a time (check out my diary) and found that even though this is still a lttle difficult, it does make the calorie goal a bit more acheivable. In fact I'm actually finding it more difficult to maintain on my days off because I tend to be very active at home too, and sometimes forget to eat (a comedian once remarked, "how stupid do you have to be to forget to eat?"), so I'm going to try to get into the habit of packing my meals (at least the daytime ones) just like I was going to work. I'll let you know how that works out. I've found that since increasing my food and water intake, I'm feeling less tired at the end of the day, sleeping better, and thinking more clearly, so even though weight gain is excruciatingly slow, the other benefits are already showing. :smile:
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm so fed up with us skinny folks not having much support. And then when we discuss our weight issues and goals to others, we get the crazy looks like "Y r u complaining?" Add me as your friend and you can see my story. Frustrations with these damn ideal target....I'm 16 lbs away from my goal and its sooo hard. Tell me y I lost 3 lbs overnight just by sleeping and staying in bed all day????? I'm about to say screw it. It took 4 years to go from 88 lbs to 104 lbs. and maintain it. 4 damn years!!!!

I'm guessing your height is around 5ft? I'm 4'11 and trying to gain to at least 94lbs (I'm 85.5 right now), but hopefully a little extra in muscle. I hope it won't take four years, though! I don't feel that I'm gaining all that fast but I notice when I eat more (healthy food), I feel better even if it doesn't show on the scale. If I lose even just a few pounds I get all sorts of negative effects like dry skin, fatigue, weakness... Frustrating both aesthetically and for health reasons. I do feel insecure especially knowing that if I contracted an illness or encountered a famine, I don't have enough weight on me to survive too much time without eating.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    BTW I LOVE your avatar :)
  • AWllms87
    Options
    I sooo blame my scale for my issues. lol. I'm 5'2'' and I recently went back down from 104 to 100 lbs. I thought that maybe stress and frustration was the MAJOR factor and seeing all of these comments reassures me that I'm not the only one dealing with this.

3000 cal/day diet plan!!!!!!! Seriously???!! Sometimes I feel like doctors don't know what the HELL they are talking about. It's sickening to stuff yourself like a pig. Soon you'll hate the sight of food from consuming that much.

I too work on my feet all day, bending, lifting, pulling, etc. I use those duties as my excuse to not include exercise in my life. But I find that snacking routinely throughout the day helps. And also, ENSURE Plus nutrition shakes helped me A LOT! Sometimes I can't cram a meal in my stomach during a mini "lunch" break, so I carry my nutrition shakes with me almost everyday. One small 8 oz = 350 cal. That's breakfast in a bottle! A lot of hospitals give this to patients who may not have much of an appetite or need extra calories to maintain a healthy weight.

All of you guys are awesome and lovely in your own unique ways! Please learn to embrace that person in the mirror! It does get frustrating esp. when ppl. around you may make you feel smaller than you are. I had to learn to stop trying to live up to other people's standards and just become the best me I can be. My goal WAS 120 lbs and if I don't get there, so what? If I stay at 100 lbs for life until I'm 100 years old, I want to be able to say I lived my life with stressing over an obsession to be the "perfect" size. I've gotten to the point where I just don't give a damn!
  • RyderJac
    Options
    Agree completely! I think my scale just likes to mess with my mind. Today it told me I lost weight (again), despite trying everything within my power to go the opposite way.

I've tried to develop a habit to eat a little something for breakfast (not usually successful, since I'm not hungry at that time of day), then nibble throughout the day on high cal snacks. This works while I'm at work, but not so well at home. On the job, I grab a quick bite each time I get a chance to head back to my office for a breather, then snack a bit more during my "manditory" lunch break, and so on. I follow up with a pretty good dinner when I get home. So work days are usually when I can acheive the 3000 mark without feeling stuffed.

Days off are a different story. Kick around for the first couple of hours, then I get moving, doing little projects both at home and for people who come to me for repairs, building, etc. I tend to get so focused on the projects, that I completely forget to eat until dinner time. Sooo.... do I work 7 days a week and hope for the best, or try to come up with a plan to help me snack on the "days off"? Think I'll opt for the latter.

I think we can do it. In fact, with a little determinination, and some creativity, I know we can!