Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes

Options
marathon64
marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
Has anyone followed this program? He recommends a vegan diet with very low oil and no animal fat and documents amazing results. No restriction of carbs but he does promote "low glycemic" carbs. My husband has Type II diabetes and I eat a vegan diet so I would love for him to try this but it would be a huge change for him and probably quite challenging. I'd love to know how it has gone for MFP folks who may have tried it-what were your results?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I cant help with your specific question about that program but I can say that if a person chooses to go vegan because they really want to, that's great! But to pushed into it because its believed to reverse diabetes is another story. You don't have to go vegan to control diabetes. I would rather enjoy my food and control it by watching my carbs than follow a dietary plan that I wont enjoy, Just my take on it. :)
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I agree with Crochetlover. If he wants to go vegan because he wants to then I'm sure the book will really help him do that and address his diabetes. For me, I would never go vegan. I love meat and cheese, I would last one meal before falling off the vegan wagon.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are studies showing the vegan diet works better than the ADA diet for diabetics to reverse diabetes. However, like the others have posted, if it isn't something he wants to do, he will not stick with it.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    Also read Dr. Bernsteins Diabetes Solution. I would have a difficult time with a vegan/veggie diet because of all the carbs found in beans, rice etc. For me, and I stress for me, lean meats and greens work the best. Good luck.
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am following Dr. John Mcdougalls diet plan. I think it is much like Dr. Neal Barnards. I am loosing weight, my numbers are coming down, but was put on insulin. That was the reason I started the diet was because of adding insulin.
    I have a friend here that totaly followed it and is off all his medication now. Like I said I am only a month into it so to early to tell yet.
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, and probably never will. Love meat too much. But even if I would be able to reduce the meat, I would never be able to sacrifice cheese, never =)

I did reverse my Diabetes as it seems so far with low carb high protein and exercise. I will go for higher carbs soon again, but I typically look for low glycemic carbs.
  • thyme2000
    thyme2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there a low carb list of foods available on the internet?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Is there a low carb list of foods available on the internet?

This might help you...

http://www.healthandfitness.com/bbs/nutri/messages/2300.html
  • strick1and6
    strick1and6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I follow his book for a while. I was all veggie for a while, then added seafood, then added chicken...so basically I guess I'm not really following it anymore. I still have cut out red meat and sausage. I had no problem giving up eggs. Cheese and bacon were the most difficult part. I'll go several days all veggie and then switch it up. I haven't had my A1c checked again since starting it, but I'll find out next month. My blood sugars have improved. So, there's that.