Horrible about taking my medicine recently

Options
erinlea75
erinlea75 Posts: 47 Member
I keep forgetting. And then when I haven't taken it regularly everyday, my memory gets worse and I forget some more. It's so frustrating.

I've tried leaving it on the counter so I see it in the morning. I've tried putting it my purse. Nothing seems to work for me to remember.

Maybe tonight I'll try putting it on top of my phone so I see it first thing in the morning.

Replies

• bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have mine beside my bed with a glass of water. The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is take my meds. It is a habit that you have to establish but you can do it.
  • erinlea75
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to try tonight. I keep my cell phone and a bottle of water on my night stand. So I was going to put the medicine bottle on top of the phone, so I would have to pick it up. Now I just have to remember to do it tonight. It's amazing how quickly my symptoms have come back with not taking it regularly and at the right time for the past 2 weeks. Memory issues have been my worst symptom.

I'm only on a low dose and have only been on it for about 5 months. I've just got to establish a habit.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned your phone, maybe you can set an alarm notification on your phone for a set time every day as a reminder. I used to do this when I had meds that I was supposed to take at a specific time (ex. every twelve hours). Most phones have an alarm option that you can repeat every day and often put a note on it so it'd pop up and say "Take your meds!"
  • mama78loosinWeight
    mama78loosinWeight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started taking meds daily when I was a teen. It sucked. It's so hard to remember to take meds everyday. So I wrote notes on across the entire mirror in dry erase marker the night before...so the 1st thing I saw was my notes. I started leaving myself several forget-me-nots that way. lol. It worked though. :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Many will shriek and my doctor wouldn't be impressed, but here's what I've discovered I need to do to stay on track:
    1. I have one of those Mon - Sun medicine dispensers. I fill it every Friday.
    2. I take my meds at night (luckily, my sleep's not affected). That way, it's take med, brush teeth. Plus, I don't eat for a few hours before bed so I know I've got an empty stomach.
    3. If I discover I've missed a day, I take the pill, cut it in half, and take half along with my regular dose for the next 2 nights. I was told originally that it takes many days for the meds to actually build up and stabilize in our systems, so I figure taking extra over 2 days wll even out in the wash, so to speak.

Not ideal, but I feel good, and I've been doing this for years.
  • bkesecker
    Options
    Aah, the memory issues. Of all my symptoms, this one seems to continue to be somewhat of an issue, although not nearly as bad as it used to be. I have lists of lists on my phone. Almost laughable.
  • erinlea75
    Options
    The bottle on the phone worked and I took it before I even got out of bed this morning!
  • bkesecker
    Options
    Day 1 of making a habit !! You will be amazed how much better you feel when you start taking your meds consistently. It's a good feeling and it helps with your motivation.
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    :smile: I put my meds in the bathroom next to my tooth brush so they are the first thing I see when I get up in the moring..
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Mine is by the coffee pot. Since I have to have my coffee as soon as I roll out of bed..... that works ;)
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am ABSOLUTELY terrible at taking it every day. I'll be good for a few days, and then my routine changes. Maybe I don't make coffee that morning, or I sleep in, or I spend the night at my boyfriends house, or I just plum forget. I've tried "leaving it in the same spot every day" like my mom told me to do (I've been taking these meds since high school, about 15 years).

NOW, I actually have a plan that works. I keep them EVERYWHERE! I save my old pill bottles and I split up the meds between the bottles. I have 4 bottles each with about a week's worth of pills. I keep one in my medicine cabinet, one in my makeup bag, one at my boyfriends, and one in my car. I might even have a bottle at my work.

That way, when I remember "OOH! Crap! Forgot to take my meds this morning!!" I can take them right away. If I make it to dinner without taking them, I'll just wait until the next day. But as long as it's before like 4pm, I'll take it.

If you do something like this, just make sure you keep things organized if you change doses, if one bottle gets low, and make sure you're rotating so pills don't get old.