SLEEPLESSNESS. PLEASE HELP.

Options
queenstatus
queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS SLEEPING? I FIND THAT THE MOST I SLEEP CONSECUTIVELY FOR ABOUT THREE HOURS THAN I AM UP FOR HOURS THEN WHEN I FINALLY CAN GO TO SLEEP, IT'S NEAR THE TIME TO GET UP. WHAT CAN I DO? I WENT FOR A WALK IN THE EVENING BECAUSE THEY SAY IT HELPS RELAX U AND YOU SLEEP BETTER BUT IT'S NOW 1 AM AND I WILL BE UP FOR GOOD 2 HRS N 15 MINUTES FROM NOW TO START MY DAY.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Do you drink caffeine in the afternoon or evening? Have you tried taking a hot shower or bath before bed? Drinking warm milk? Do you maintain a regular schedule for going to bed and waking up?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I eat low carb, I have problem with sleeping.
    Also when i eat too low cal, below 900.
    Magnesium helps me with restless night when I'm on low carb.
    Eat dinner at least 3 hours before sleep time helps also.
  • farmmandy
    farmmandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This has been the only problem I have had since starting on synthroid. I'm right there with you!!!
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Funny, I have been having this problem as well.. I was just talking to my doctor about it yesterday, he is going to run more tests soon :yawn:
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Do you have a nightly routine? Like winding down with a good book and a cup of chamomile tea after a hot bath? A nightly routine might help. The chamomile tea will really help. Actually, I order sleepy time tea from bulkherbstore.com which is a mixture of herbs to help you sleep. When I first received my order of the sleepy time tea, it was morning, and right after I had finished a pot of coffee. I tried it anyway, and I ended up having to go back to bed! After a pot of coffee! It's inexpensive and worth a try (these herbs do come loose so do have a tea strainer). Do you exercise? Exercise intensely around 4 in the afternoon. It will tucker you out for bedtime a few hours later. Do you sleep with the t.v. on? Turn it off. Nervous about getting robbed while you sleep? Or, nervous about anything really? Get an alarm system. Do what it takes to achieve piece of mind. Try the nightly routine. Good luck. Keep us informed about how you're doing! :)
  • sphares
    sphares Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When you can't sleep - do you feel wired? Like you could just stay up and keep doing stuff and you can't shut your brain off? If so, it could be your adrenals. Before I was diagnosed with adrenal fatigue, I went a week with only about 2 hours of sleep each night.
  • greenie
    greenie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have this problem if I go too low carb or too low on my calories. Also, what time of day are you taking your thyroid meds? I tried switching my dose to before bed and I couldn't sleep. I hope you can figure out what is causing your restlessness!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Insomnia is a common symptom of hypothyroidism - especially if you have hashimoto also.

I take Natural Calm - magnesium citrate at night before I go to bed - 2 tsps desolved in warm water -- it makes like a fizzy drink. The upside of Natural Calm is that it also resolves constipation.

I also take GABA, 1000 mg 2x a day -- it's very good for anxiety.
    I also take 10mg Melatonin before bed.

Finally, I use guided meditation to calm my mind -- Andrew Weil has several good ones on Youtube... and lots of CDs. In guided meditation, you are in a darkened, quiet room and he talks you through focusing on your breath and quieting your mind. It's so soothing that I fall asleep very quickly.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I always knock myself out with a small (very small) cherry juice just before bed- (could be the sugar?) and a boring medidation or guided hypnosis knocks me out. There are nights I can't sleep at all so I just go with it for that night.

Have you looked at Paul Mckennas I can help you sleep?

Sweetest of sweet dreams to-night

Jasmin
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty sleeping when I'm taking too much synthroid, I get really restless. But generally I have too many thoughts running around in my head and need to read (kindle) or play a videogame (handheld) in bed until I fall asleep.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could take a melatonin supplement? :) It's worked for me. :)
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    When I eat low carb, I have problem with sleeping.
    Also when i eat too low cal, below 900.
    Magnesium helps me with restless night when I'm on low carb.
    Eat dinner at least 3 hours before sleep time helps also.

I was going to suggest Magnesium. I take it before bed and it helps me relax and get a better night's sleep. It is a natural muscle relaxant and also helps if you have joint pain. I use "MagOx" and I am sure there are better brands out there but you can find it at any store - walmart, target, even the grocery store. My Dr. suggested it for fibromyalgia pain but also helps with the sleepless nights. Also, Melatonin is a good, natural sleep inducer too.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanx u guys for all of the suggestions. I have written them down and I have to also xicuss this with my Dr. I go back on wed. I appreciate u guys. Be blessed!
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you go with a melatonin suppliment, there are two types. One is a quick release that you can take an hour or so before bed (which is good when you have trouble falling asleep). There is also a timed release formula which releases the melatonin through out the night (which is good for when you have trouble staying asleep.) Hope you are able to find a good night's sleep soon.
  • sallray
    sallray Posts: 6
    Options
    Maybe it has something to do with the time you are taking your medicine. Make sure you take it a the same time every day. I have heard that some people take it at night before bed or very early in the morning. I sometimes have a problem going to sleep when my medicine has to be increased but it goes away after a few days. Good luck!