Weightloss

kay1188
kay1188 Posts: 132 Member
Sweets are generally considered an enemy when a person wants to lose some weight or wants to maintain the current weight. It is indeed true that most sweet food is high in saturated fat as they usually include butter, whole milk, and heavy cream. There are healthier exceptions to this rule but in general people have associated sweets with fat. However, this should not stop you from satisfying your sweet tooth. Studies show that unsatisfied cravings can cause depression causing the person to eat more thus gain more weight.

I am willing to work gradually towards decreasing the amount of sugar I consume on a daily basis... I long to feel sexy

What do I have to lose- except the weight??

Replies

• Jrbagels
    Jrbagels Posts: 18 Member
    My sweet tooth has always been my biggest challenge to losing weight. I totally agree with you that you shouldn't stop satisfying it. For some people, maybe it has to be all or nothing. But that never worked for me....I would go without any sweets for a little while but then go crazy. Now, I've cut back a lot. Instead of eating something sweet just for the sake of doing so, I save it for something really good less often. Still a challenge, but so far so good.
  • i like that philosophy.... I was actually told recently to treat calories and fats like a price tag... total everything up and if its too rich for your blood then dont "buy" it
  • pazzoo
    pazzoo Posts: 6 Member
    I love sweet treats and found it helpful to strategically include limited sweets while losing weight. Instead of buying cookies or chocolate bars I switched to hard candies. In the evenings I'd have one or two mini candy canes with a mug of herbal tea, or satisfy a craving with a hard fruit-flavoured candy, which was sweet, but also portion-controlled. They are okay, but I never want more than one. I'd also have 3 or 4 Jelly Belly jelly beans to get a quick dose of sugar and flavour without a large number of calories, but I had to be careful not to do that too often.

Jelly Belly - 4 calories each
    mini candy cane - 12 or 15 calories each
    hard fruit candy - 25-40 calories each depending on size, eg. a Jolly Rancher has 23 calories,

I'd love to read more tips and good luck to everyone!
  • Gabryka
    Gabryka Posts: 21 Member
    I love sweets too... SO much! When I get bored on my days off, what did I like to do? Bake. Well, that's out now lol.

When I crave something sweet I go for:

Light yogurt
    Popsicles (50 cals each)
    Trop50 juice (50 cals for 8oz raspberry lemonade, OJ, etc)
    Fruit

Of course, I do indulge sometimes... have one square of a chocolate bar, one hard candy, etc.
    I find that if I keep myself away from the sweets for too long, I tend to binge later, so having a bit here and there actually helps me to not overdo it :)
  • kay1188
    It is ok to indulge sometimes but you have subtract it from the total number of calories you should consume for the day.

For example I had a slice of delicious black forest cake for lunch the other day... Considering the number of calories in that one slice... I had water with that an allowed that to hold until dinner...
  • kay1188
    I KNOW IT IS CHEAPER TO BUY IN BULK BUT WHEN IT COMES ON TO CHOCOLATE /CANDY/SWEETS I PREFER TO BUY THE SMALLER PORTION SIZES... IT GIVES ME THE SATISFACTION OF FINISHING THE PACKAGE WITHOUT THE GUILT OF KNOWING I HAD TOO MUCH.
  • bigdon123
    bigdon123 Posts: 14 Member
    If I was superman then chocolate would be my kriptonite.When it comes to chocolate I don't know what moderation is.Huge weakness.Can't have it in the house!!!
  • Eunicemaye
    Eunicemaye Posts: 17 Member
    You have to have what you want sometimes. At least i do or i end up going on a bing with no control. Then i get depressed and eat more because i'm depressed. Then i have a hard time getting back to healthy eating. I used to think that if i was on a diet then i couldn't have the sweets and things that i wanted. And i ended up just depressed and weighing more because i couldn't stick to a program like that. I have to have my sugar. Now if i want something badly enough i will have it. But i have to have enough calories available. And on really stressful days...when i really need my chocolate fix the most..i make sure to save enough calories for my treat. My favorite is Blue Bunny big fudge bars. 90 calories and I love them ! But i keep them in the freezer in the grarage so that i don't see them. I can still hear them but not as loudly. And i have to earn it. If i don't exercise then i don't get it. Since i started thinking of it this way i have lost weight and i don't feel deprived and get all grumpy. It works for me.
  • kay1188
    If I was superman then chocolate would be my kriptonite.When it comes to chocolate I don't know what moderation is.Huge weakness.Can't have it in the house!!!

I AM CERTAIN THAT THIS IS THE CASE FOR MANY OF US HERE... IT IS GOOD TO HAVE A MAN AROUND WHO UNDERSTANDS... WELCOME!!
  • kay1188
    WHO HERE AGREES THAT CHOCOLATE IS AS MENTALLY SATISFYING AS SEX???
  • Eunicemaye
    Eunicemaye Posts: 17 Member
    WHO HERE AGREES THAT CHOCOLATE IS AS MENTALLY SATISFYING AS SEX???

LOL...That could be it's own topic. And i do totally agree !
  • kay1188
    RE RIGHT Eunicemaye... I AM GOING TO START THAT TOPIC