W1D1 Pains

Options
Hey guys, I was able to get through the session without any issues but I did notice that I have soreness in my shins the day after which is today. I am worried that I will not be able to run again tomorrow, any tips?

Replies

• ingalynn
    ingalynn Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would say it depend on the type of soreness...you know your body best. If it is muscle soreness from the workout I would push through it and make sure you stretch everything out after your run.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Are you having pains or soreness? Pain is an indicator we're doing something wrong - soreness is an indicator we're waking up muscles and making them work in ways we haven't before :)
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I would say its soreness. It is irritated when the muscle is used. Did you feel anything similar?
  • triskele
    triskele Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, I'm sore! I just finished day 3 of week 1 last night and have found that if I focus on how my feet are hitting the ground (close to dead on instead of toward the front or heel), the shin splints are less of an issue. I also switched after day 1 to running the indoor track at my local YMCA (it's way too hot outside) and the consistent surface of the track seems to make a difference, too.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    If it's muscle soreness, tomorrow's workout should actually help you feel better. Are you doing anything on your non-C25K days? I'm walking on off days to get rid of some of the lactic acid build up. It really helps.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    My calves are definitely sore, but since this was my first time running in ten years I figured it was to be expected. I'm going to do a nice hot bath tonight to help :) It shouldn't be lactic acid, should it? I'd assume that would dissipate rather quickly - I always thought the soreness was the muscle breakdown that happens when you workout.
  • rukcus
    rukcus Posts: 58
    Options
    I did my W1D2 of the run and Im happy to say my shins didn't give me any issues while jogging, I hope ill be able to say that tonight 8).
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you made it through day two without your shins bothering you. I did C25K a while back and had to quit around week four because of awful shin pain. I think I was pushing myself too fast. I found that this time around I do better if I slow down my jog (I plan to pick up the pace as I get better) and don't feel bad if I need to do a day (or week) over again before trying to do more. Also, I find that it helps to ice the area and elevate your legs soon after your workout. Good luck!
  • artsykris
    Options
    I did W1D2 and started out with some shin pain but it left after running a bit. My foot didn't go numb even after finishing 2 miles. On W1D1 my left foot was numb after about 1 1/2 mi. Maybe this won't be an issue anymore.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've read that proper running shoes will all but completely alleviate shin splints. I think you have to go to a running shoe store and have your steps evaluated and be fitted for the right shoes. I haven't had the problem - luckily - but I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Ang_from_Colorado
    Ang_from_Colorado Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had terrible shin splints the first time I went through this program and stopped. I can gladly say that this time around I'm doing better. I think you just have to really stretch out good before and after your workout. I took my jog down to a slower pace too so that I am not over doing it and ending up super sore the next day. Good Luck!
  • n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    like someone else said you should pay careful attention to whether its pain or soreness - in any event resting, lots of water, and ice can never hurt.

I had what I thought was soreness in my foot when I first started about 3 weeks ago, it got worse each time I ran so I decided to take a week off thinking maybe I pulled or strained something. Two days ago I was in extreme pain and could barely walk so I hobbled to the doctor to find that I have a stress fracture in my foot, which puts me out of commission for a few weeks.

Hopefully it's just soreness but if you're in pain that is not going away or that is getting worse it can never hurt to get checked out - I didn't and I made mine worse - now I have to spend a few extra weeks in a cast - not fun! If it is soreness, good shoes, LOTS of water, good stretching, and rest after running should all help, happy running!