Chick filla

Options

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    bhankiii, they showed the same thing, on the news, happening here in Tampa FL. The Chick-Fil-A's were swarmed by people who were not in support of same-sex marriage. There were suppose to be "kiss-ins" by same-sex couples at the chicken restaurants, but it wasn't mentioned on the news.

I thought the "kiss-ins" were scheduled for Friday.
  • treetop57
    Options
    (also am I seriously the only one who loves their chicken bites? Chunks of boneless skinless chicken breast floured and fried? Yum.)

I've never had this or any of the rest of their food. Soon after they started moving into California, the news about their supporting anti-marriage equality groups came out, so I've never given them a dime.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/odusgolp/view/chick-fil-a-nugget-recipe-358516

No wonder its so delicious. Soaked in cream. My god. (or is that normal for fried chicken? I've never fried a thing in my life, we didn't eat anything like that in my house growing up)
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options

(also am I seriously the only one who loves their chicken bites? Chunks of boneless skinless chicken breast floured and fried? Yum.)

yes, so delicious lol. I am glad I don't really eat fast food in general anymore so I don't have to resist because of where my money might go.
  • kellydanforth
    Options
    1. Mr. Cathy opposes gay marriage in national media blitz
    2. Stirs up controversy
    3. Gays organize kiss-in
    4. Chick-fills calls on politicians to use media asking Christians to buy chicken for their cause
    5. Chicken chain rakes in the best profits in their history

The fight was started to sell more chicken.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    And I don't think people quite get that when they participate in acts like this, what they're saying is that not only do they like the restaurant, but they support what the owners support.

Idiots keep asking, "Why do gay people need a parade. Where's my parade."

Well congrats, you have your bigot parade now. I hope you're happy.

love the parade line! i'm so going to steal it!!
  • EmilyBoots
    EmilyBoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This thread is making me outrageously hungry. I love the taste of blatant bigotry.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe how many people are supporting them on MFP- I guess until they say we don't like blondes or brunettes no one will care
    You may joke, but in this news story from the BBC Online, an ex-employee of the Royal Household was refused a job with a car rental firm because they have a policy of not hiring men with beards!!! :huh: :noway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-18811644

According to a spokesperson for the company:
    Spencer King confirmed the company operated a "specific personal appearance policy" to promote the professionalism of employees.
    "Service is a critical aspect of our business and how employees look and dress impacts customers' perception of our brand.
    It's for this reason we ask our employees to conform to a specific dress code. For men, this includes wearing a business suit and tie at all times, no earrings, no unkempt hair and no beards, except in circumstances where they have a religious meaning or a medical reason."

However... back to the original topic of Chic-fil-A...

It would appear that some of our community are abusing staff @ Chick-Fil-A franchises even though those staff-members may themselves be gay (or straight) and not necessarily support the CEO's stance on gay marriage :cry:

From Pink News: Gay employee says Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was 'very depressing'
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/08/02/gay-employee-says-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day-was-very-depressing/

As an "outsider" looking in, so to speak, surely I cannot be the only one who is concerned about the prominence of the Religious Right in US politics. Maybe it is just a vocal minority that is making the headlines, but given the outpouring of vitriol on Facebook in response to the Rainbow Oreo, not to mention what seems to pass as informed debate on the public message boards on MFP, it does seem to be a worrying trend. :frown:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    -_- MFP makes me think its not a minority at all, you wouldn't BELIEVE how many people on a role about chores said that they believed in 'traditional' roles for women and men (and were totally unable to separate the idea of their own personal preferences for chores vs inflicting those preferences on anyone that shares their gentalia). and how many of them quoted the bible on it.

Or maybe you'd believe it. Urgh.

I texted my friend last night and said THIS is what will drive me to be the kind of super-villain that wants to kill EVERYONE in the world and start over. (I am taking applications for the utopia I will create afterwards, you may be required to pitch in some volunteer hours but I won't be able to pay you until I knock over a few banks, so sorry about that.)

(also: The beard thing sounds crazy, but until last year Disneyland had a rule that you couldn't have a beard, it was a holdover from whenever disneyland was built. They changed it to be that you can't GROW a beard - you can have one already that must be kept neat, but no scraggly in between stages.)
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Kiss-in is scheduled for TODAY, August 3, 2012!!!:bigsmile:
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I notice another chik-fil-a thread in the open area has been locked and disappeared. A lot of nastiness out there among the chicken eaters.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options

It would appear that some of our community are abusing staff @ Chick-Fil-A franchises even though those staff-members may themselves be gay (or straight) and not necessarily support the CEO's stance on gay marriage :cry:

From Pink News: Gay employee says Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was 'very depressing'
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/08/02/gay-employee-says-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day-was-very-depressing/

That's just another form of bigotry. Civility is important in a functioning society. And we, above all people, should take the high moral ground.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

That's just another form of bigotry. Civility is important in a functioning society. And we, above all people, should take the high moral ground.

And maybe one day we won't have to live by higher standards than other people seem to get away with just because we're begging for scraps of civil rights from the table.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    (Why did this all suddenly come up again? That was like, over a year ago?)

I've been wondering the same thing! I haven't ate there in about a year, either.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    "I'm buying chicken to support Freedom of Speech!"

"Did you check with the ACLU to see if they accept chicken as a donation?"

"What?"

"Ok then. Nevermind."
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    1. Mr. Cathy opposes gay marriage in national media blitz
    2. Stirs up controversy
    3. Gays organize kiss-in
    4. Chick-fills calls on politicians to use media asking Christians to buy chicken for their cause
    5. Chicken chain rakes in the best profits in their history

The fight was started to sell more chicken.

Agreed. But we already knew Christians are suckers.
  • pamsflying
    pamsflying Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think this guy summarizes exactly how I feel about the issue pretty well. This is probably the best piece I've seen written about the issue.

http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think this guy summarizes exactly how I feel about the issue pretty well. This is probably the best piece I've seen written about the issue.

http://www.owldolatrous.com/?p=288

I read that a few days ago. Great read.

It amazes me that they've tried to disguise this as a freedom of speech issue, though. http://www.dumpstarbucks.com anyone? Come on. Where were they when Starbucks practiced their freedom of speech by publicly supporting marriage equality? Oh, that's right, they were too busy boycotting them. :noway:
  • treetop57
    Options
    It really is too bad that city officials in Boston and Chicago clouded the issue by implying government action against Chick-Fil-A. I believe that Huckabee and company would still have called for a C-F-A appreciation day and that the same people would have stuffed their faces in solidarity with Cathy even if the city officials hadn't spoken against C-F-A . . . but their over-zealousness did give anti-equality people some 1st amendment cover.
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    It really is too bad that city officials in Boston and Chicago clouded the issue by implying government action against Chick-Fil-A. I believe that Huckabee and company would still have called for a C-F-A appreciation day and that the same people would have stuffed their faces in solidarity with Cathy even if the city officials hadn't spoken against C-F-A . . . but their over-zealousness did give anti-equality people some 1st amendment cover.

That cover only goes so far. If they were really concerned with the first amendment they would have simply donated to the ACLU, who defended CFA when those politicians made their mistake. Supporters standing in line made it clear that they support the first amendment, but only as long as they agree with certain expressions of free speech.