Male eye raises or comments at gym?

Options
Feisty_Red
Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
You know... the..whole...Oh..honey..you wont be able to lift that? ;) I find it funny..but in all reality.... most women think they cant..and dont ever try..So..I guess they are trying to make sure we dont get hurt? :D

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Actually, I go early in the morning and I usually get "Wow, impressive, great work!" When I was in stage 6 and I was hanging there with a weight around my waist I had an older man stand up and clap.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I go early as to avoid a lot of people. I am really self conscious in the gym.

One morning though, I was doing squats and I had a gentleman approach me and compliment me. He said my form was great, and my weight (at the time it was 165#) was "impressive"

It was quite the ego booster!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Mostly the guys seem to think I'm in their way, like what is a *girl* doing using the squat rack and incline bench?

I did get two nice-ish comments on Satruday though. I just started Stage 3, so I kept looking at the book, and two guys were like - how's your book? Looks like he's really working you out.

Hilarious though... I forgot my pen, so asked the attendant (super nice guy that works there most days that I work out) if I could borrow his. I said "It wouldn't be right to do all this work, and not record it", and he replied jokingly, "Just take a picture" (because I was a red-faced sweaty mess!)
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    Great stories ladies..I guess after the regulars know who you are...they will stop being surprised.. ;)
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting a got a nice/funny comment from a guy at the gym. I was on the leg press and was pressing 90lbs (not that heavy considering I am now pressing 200lbs) and the guy walked over to me while I was resting and told me that the weight I was pressing was impressive and that most women dont use the leg press or only do light weight presses. I laughed and told him I wouldnt reach my goals lifting light weights.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. I've only had one guy really say anything silly. He told me I was setting the power rack guards too low, and that I should set them for parallel. I told him I was going far below parallel. He said, "We'll see if you can get back up from that".

Then I showed him. And now he stalks me around the gym with a puppy dog crush.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've only had men compliment me. I think 2 of those were from trainers. One said something about it's nice to see that I was working hard. And just last week, as I was setting up 85 lb. for bent-over barbell rows, another one asked if I was doing straight leg deadlifts, and when I told him what I was doing, he said "nice weight," which pretty much made my day. :)

There are a fair number of women using free weights at my gym though. They don't all seem to be lifting "heavy" or compound lifts, but I saw a woman this morning doing 80 lb. dumbbell bench presses, which blew me away. If she hadn't been wearing headphones, I would have told her how impressed I was, but with them, she wouldn't have heard me anyway.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    So glad to hear most are positive!!! :wink: I actually got one nice comment last night..so I think they are use to seeing me now He was a smaller guy...and he said.. I cant even lift that much!! I said..sure you can...if you keep trying..I didnt start out lifting 80 over my head! :bigsmile:
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of stares too. And men making snarky comments, until they see me grab the same dumbbells as them. I think they have learned to be impressed and more people make nice comments and compliment my progress.
  • Feisty_Red
    Options
    I had two last night(I must have some snotty people in my area) I seen outta the corner of my eye..as I was grabbing for the 70 lb dumbbell..they were watching me..and laughing...then when then see me actually use it correctly..their giggles stopped..

It use to really bother me...but honestly..I dont care anymore..I have limited time..and I gotta get stuff done..so out of my way please :D
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options

It use to really bother me...but honestly..I dont care anymore..I have limited time..and I gotta get stuff done..so out of my way please :D

^^^love this!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    At first, the guys in the weight room were just indifferent to me. Then, they started giving me little nods of approval if we made eye contact. Now, they give me big ol' smiles when they see me go through my workout routine.

I've only had one guy be rude to me, and I don't think that had anything to do with me being a female -- more that he was just a d*ck.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I had to ask a woman at the front desk of my new gym where the lat pulldown machine was since they have different looking equipment. (I was looking for the bar one, but they have a cable system and the arms are separate.) She walked me over to the machine and I immediately set the weight at 70lbs. She said, "Make sure you use a weight you can actually manage." I couldn't think of a good response so I just sat down and cranked out one set of 15 reps in less than 30 seconds. She said, "Oh," and walked away. Sometimes the women are worse than the men!
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    with the exception of one guy that wouldn't leave me alone for an hour and a half, most of the guys are pretty nice! some seem a little put out like what is she doing here, but i don't care! hahaha well.... i'm trying not to care ;o)
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The only males that see me are a small dog and a bunny rabbit currently living in the garage until his new house is built. :smile: I've considered using the gym where I work for winter time, though. I'm also a shy person when I work out. I think it comes from too many nasty comments in gym class as a kid (seriously, why do gym teachers think this builds confidence???). But I say do it anyway. Someone may say something, but as soon as you start lifting they'll shut up quick enough.