Race Weight

Options
What is the ideal race weight for a triathlete? I know thinner in cycling is better for climbing hills. Just looking for suggestions.

My height: 6 ft
My weight: 145-147 lbs

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't think weight is the sole consideration... Personally I'm more concerned about strength to weight ratio. If I'm getting stronger and that means another lb or two, I'm ok with that. Similarly, if losing weight means less strength, I'm NOT ok with that.

My goal for this off season is 165lbs at 10% body fat. I'm 5'8"

FWIW.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I've talked to a few guys who have KQ'd about this topic. They feel there are very, very few age groupers that can get their body to the point that they will lose speed by losing weight. You'll hear Macca talk about the fact he felt he hit Kona too light one year and he lost some stamina, but for the 99% of age groupers lighter is faster.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I've talked to a few guys who have KQ'd about this topic. They feel there are very, very few age groupers that can get their body to the point that they will lose speed by losing weight. You'll hear Macca talk about the fact he felt he hit Kona too light one year and he lost some stamina, but for the 99% of age groupers lighter is faster.

while this may be the case for most of us average triathloners, I have to feel irs an incomplete answer without at least mentioning lifting/strength gains. Nothing has helped my swim or my bike more than lifting.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You know I used to be a proponent of a good amount of strength training in season. I'm not any more. Actually common practice is maybe some bodyweight stuff in season, but that's about it. It took me a long time as a former powerlifter to accept that the best way to get better at s/b/r is to s/b/r. Strength training for the pool is pull cords and paddles. Strength training for the bike is hills or low cadence practice in a huge gear. And then you have tempo work and speed work on the track for running.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    You might consider going to the olympic site--the height and weight of the competitors is posted for all the athletes. I am guessing that they have appropriate weight. If you look, it varies quite a bit. I was encouraged to see a woman with the same height and weight--though I would hazard a guess that she has a lower body fat percentage than me!!!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You know I used to be a proponent of a good amount of strength training in season. I'm not any more. Actually common practice is maybe some bodyweight stuff in season, but that's about it. It took me a long time as a former powerlifter to accept that the best way to get better at s/b/r is to s/b/r. Strength training for the pool is pull cords and paddles. Strength training for the bike is hills or low cadence practice in a huge gear. And then you have tempo work and speed work on the track for running.

That's a good point... in season vs off season. I agree that weight work should be limited in season, but to not lift during the off season (lats, shoulders, quads, hammies, glutes, calves, core) will at some point hold you back.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Race weight is person dependent. I have found that as I continue to push my weight down (180 from 240) I have become quicker in my total times. However, my swim speed has stayed rather steady throughout. Weight does make a large difference on the run in terms of joint and feet soreness.

As for strength training, it's a preference. I do mild strength training twice a week. It have helped to prevent triathlete related injuries such as ITBS by balancing And for someone who only practices front stroke in the pool, weights help to keep my shoulders in alignment and not hunched forward.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree it is person dependent and is a strength to weight ratio. I do strength training 2 or 3 times a week and have noticed that it has helped in my training.

My theory is that if I'm just doing swimming, biking and running that I'm only working the same muscles over and over again. My strength training I never do the same exercise more than 2 weeks in a row. I don't want my muscles to become bored and to not increase in strength. It also helps the supportive muscles grow stronger.
  • gone54321
    Options
    There is a book called "Racing Weight - How to get lean for peak permormance" by Matt Fitzgerald... I would love to tell you what the book says but I bought it and started reading it and really couldn't get into it, maybe I will try again... It was only a few bucks on amazon if you want more detailed info.