can you be in ketosis eating more than 20 carbs?

Options
Can you be in ketosis eating more than 20 carbs? I find that I am starving by after dinner. I am a vegetarian and eating tofu everyday is seriously making me want to gag. I've tried it and find it somewhat difficult to maintain because I am hating all the tofu I eat to get my protein. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I eat way more than that and am regularly in stink-etosis :happy:
    Check out my diary, I've been in large Ketosis all week.

Is it my exercise my Fast-5 that that lets it happen even though I'm typically 40g net carbs? Don't know but it works for me.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    How many grams you can take in and remain in keto varies person to person. Some people can net 50 grams or even a little more with no problem.

The atkins diet suggest vegetarians start out with 30 grams per day and consume nuts and seeds. Check out hemp hearts for a little bit of protein and fiber. Not sure if you eat them but you might want to consider eggs and cheese.

If you can afford it maybe see a nutritionist. If you have health insurance it might be covered.

Good luck to you.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can you be in ketosis eating more than 20 carbs? I find that I am starving by after dinner. I am a vegetarian and eating tofu everyday is seriously making me want to gag. I've tried it and find it somewhat difficult to maintain because I am hating all the tofu I eat to get my protein. Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful.

Would you be open to protein supplements from vegetable sources?? Something like Sun Warrior would definitely taste better than tofu and help you get your minimums.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    wow! being a vegetarian and doing keto. hats off to you!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i beleive its around 50 g carbs you stay in ketosis

have you ever tried quest bars? theyre high protein and fiber and the originals donnot have sugar alcohols
    theyre about 4 g carbs per bar
    flaxseed/ flaxseedmeal is a great lowcarb item you can make crackers, muffins, and bread with it.
    unsweetened almond milk is great protein and 0 carb
    sf jello
    shiratake noodles?
    do you eat dairy?
    theres always cheese, eggs,
    protein powder mixed w pb
    nuts
    edemame is low carb
    i definately give you props for doing this vegetarian!!
    lfeel free to add me
  • anamika59
    Options
    thank you everyone for the suggestions. I do dairy ( milk, cheese, etc) but not eggs.

I'll look into all of your suggestions.
  • MsKetosis
    Options
    I personally can have about 75 carbs and stay in ketosis IF, I walk and put up a sweat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Where I live, its mostly hilly and I do not walk fast at all but I move at a slow pace but even a slow pace up a hill has me sweating. So if I walk for about 45 minutes then I can stay in ketosis with 75 carbs.

But everybody is different, my husband on the other hand, was never going into ketosis even with 10 carbs and exercise.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually eat between 30g and 40g of carbs a day at the moment and seem to be staying in ketosis most of the time. I'm not a huge fan of ketosis as I can't seem to shake the slight nausea, and I'm not sleeping much, but meh. To be honest I wasn't expecting to be be in ketosis on 40g carbs, but had all the familiar signs, so I checked a ketostix (why do I have these?!) out of curiosity, and was well into purple.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yes I can eat up to 70 and stay in
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    i beleive its around 50 g carbs you stay in ketosis

have you ever tried quest bars? theyre high protein and fiber and the originals donnot have sugar alcohols
    theyre about 4 g carbs per bar
    flaxseed/ flaxseedmeal is a great lowcarb item you can make crackers, muffins, and bread with it.
    unsweetened almond milk is great protein and 0 carb
    sf jello
    shiratake noodles?
    do you eat dairy?
    theres always cheese, eggs,
    protein powder mixed w pb
    nuts
    edemame is low carb
    i definately give you props for doing this vegetarian!!
    lfeel free to add me
    not true about the quest bars, many of them have sugar alcohols in them, got to look at each type to be sure.
  • astronomer25
    Options
    I usually eat between 30g and 40g of carbs a day at the moment and seem to be staying in ketosis most of the time. I'm not a huge fan of ketosis as I can't seem to shake the slight nausea, and I'm not sleeping much, but meh. To be honest I wasn't expecting to be be in ketosis on 40g carbs, but had all the familiar signs, so I checked a ketostix (why do I have these?!) out of curiosity, and was well into purple.

Carbs should be under 50 typically (assuming you have insulin resistance), and possibly under 25% if you are severely insulin resistant. Read the following books (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Peformance, Why we get fat) and consider meeting with a doctor (all diets should be done under a physician if you have any medical issues).

Sounds like you need to up your sodium intake, when you are in ketosis, you need to increase sodium intake, as it functions differently in your body. However, being a woman, your weight swings should be guided by hormones in addition to ketosis. Therefore you can't reliably trust the scale. If you are in ketosis, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but it could help you by releasing endorphins.

you need to make sure your fat levels are 70 (lowest) - 85% of your caloric intake (recommended by Dr. Phinney - Art of Low Carbohydrate Performance). It is usually tough to get enough protein .6grams-1.5grams of lean body muscle, as a vegetarian. Good luck. Animal fats are typically better when doing ketosis, but kudo's to you.