Do you pick at your food?

ragslittle
ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
OK so we all know that when you go out for dinner or grab something from the cafeteria at work...nothing comes in small portion sizes. I have learned to eat slowly, but once I am done with my food and feel full I will still pick at it and continue to eat until everyone else is done instead of getting it boxed up or removing it from infront of me. As long as it sits there I will pick. I seriously worry about stretching my pouch out. At home I do fine because I control the portion size. I can eat about 3/4 of a cup. I don't know if thats just me or does anyone else do this?

And by the way I love this group. I don't dare talk about RNY on the message boards because they can be such haters!!!

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    I am a picker mostly when I'm at home, while I can normally eat a half to 3/4 cup depending on the food density I can eat more if I pick. For example last night I made yellow rice and black beans and put a cups worth in a bowl, I ate about half a cup, then 30 minutes later nibbled a quarter cup more, and finished off the last quarter cup by the end of the hour. If I would have portioned out just a half cup I likely would have left well enough alone. When I go out I order small or share food with others and it's never been a problem to box things up but I have to do it before I start eating or I risk picking there too. I would totally recommend getting it in a to go box to begin with and then just plating what you know you can eat. For me at least it seems to help and be easier to control portions and picking if it was just never on my plate in the first place.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I ask for a to-go box right away and box up 2/3 of my meal before I even start eating it. That way I can take my time over the remaining portion on my plate and I am not tempted to pick at it...because I know I will! I also get two more meals out of it at home...winning! :happy:
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    If I am in public I pick up a packet of artificial sweetener and sprinkle it over what is left.....just lose the urge to eat the rest of it with a sickly sweet taste.

And of course the to go box works too!!!!! Best of luck!
  • I ask for atom go box to come out with my food if I order an adult size enters. Most times I order from the children's menu. My surgeon 's office gave me a card to carry around that ask that I be permitted to eat from their children's menu. It works great. You are so right about the hatred. Lol