Has anyone taken raw thyroid hormones? Not synthetic

Options
TanaLopez13
TanaLopez13 Posts: 15 Member
I'm thinking of taking raw thyroid hormones. My use of synthroid or levothyroxine has not worked for me. I would appreciate any advice on what type of meds to take. I'm constantly tired drained. I've had hypothyroid for about 12 years now

Replies

• Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply... I haven't taken raw but a friend of mine does and she really likes it.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I believe thyroid treatment is very individual. I don't believe there is a "one-size-fits-all" thyroid medication that makes every person who takes it feel better. With that being said, I would like to comment that FOR ME the all natural medication Armour has worked best FOR ME. My doctor and I are still trying to get to the correct dosage (I feel best when my TSH levels are humming along @ a 1.). Finding the correct dose is a slow process. Armour contains the natural hormones T4 and T3. Synthyroid only contains synthetic T4. If synthetic medicines work best for you, and you aren't getting good results with Synthroid, maybe you should talk to your doctor about Thyrolar. Thyrolar contains both synthetic T4 and T3. Be forewared though, many doctors push Synthroid for for some reason and are reluctant to prescribe any other thyroid medicine. Be prepared to find a more open-minded doctor...

Most synthetic thyroid medicines, like Synthroid, contain only T4. The natural medications, like Armour, contain both T4 and T3. There is a synthetic T3 medication available called Cytomel. Some people take both a synthetic T4 and a synthetic T3 medication to get both thyroid hormones. There is also one synthetic thyroid medication that contains both T4 and T3 which is Thyrolar. Good luck to you in your journey to become Euthyroid. :)

I've come across a multitude of combinations and doses. Some take synthetic T4 only. Some take synthetic T4 and T3. Some only take synthetic T3. Some take natural T4/T3 medication. Some take synthetic T4 and natural T4/T3 medication. The more I've heard from people about what works for them, the more I realize how individual the needs of each person are. The general consensus among thyroid patients seems to be what works for one person, may not work for another and that what does work varies from person to person.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I switched to Armour Thyroid a year and a half ago and I will never go back to synthetic. But like the last person said, not every doctor wants to prescribe it. My first doctor at school refused to give it to me, and said it wouldn't make a difference. I was still constantly gaining, fatigued, and full of brain fog. I've been on my current dose of 90 mg of Armour since November and this month's bloodwork was the lowest it has ever been. My TSH was actually below a 1, and when you've been an 8, you realize how fantastic that is. Not everyday is perfect, but it's a whole lot better than it was on Levothyroxine.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, when I was on synthroid my levels just kept going up and up. Now that I'm on Armour I'm actually below a 1 too. And yes, it is an amazing difference! I've actually started to lose weight! :D
  • TanaLopez13
    TanaLopez13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your input I was taking levothyroxine for 12years. I still felt like sh__t. So I decided to try raw thyroid supplement. Within 1 week I noticed I had energy!!! And I lost 2 lbs!!
  • DearLiza27
    Options
    I have been on Armour for about 4 months now and absolutely think it makes a difference. Even though my levels are still higher than they were on synthroid (I'm on 120 now and we are still working on the dose) I feel better. Hopefully, I will start to see some weight loss soon! Good Luck!
  • aaw500
    Options
    Tana that is so inspirational to hear! Is the natural thyroid replacement more expensive than the Synthroid? I pay out of pocket because my insurance doesn't pay much for prescriptions.
  • tokataro
    tokataro Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not a whole lot more expensive, I don't use insurance and at Sam's both my 60mg Armour and my 150mcg levothyroxin are less than $10 each. I think maybe one is $6 and the other is $8. You don't need a Sam's membership or card to use just the pharmacy.
  • TaliaP77
    Options
    I was about to touch and agree with Tokataro...it's not exspensive at all (Synthetic)...It's on the $4 list by the way. i am going to look into the RAW meds because I am SO VERY TIRED and I am BIGGER than ever now!
  • KendraGrothGalle2014
    Options
    I've been on Armor for the past couple of years. My TSH was 123 and now is down to around 6. My dosage is 195mg. It's been the only thing that has worked in getting my TSH down.
  • Golden_Grizz
    Golden_Grizz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, new here,

I hope no one thinks of this as a hijack, but for those of you on the Armor, has regulation been a problem? I'm on 224mcg (2 112mcg pills) and one month it's too much and three months later, it's not enough.