HELP! Not getting enough of a burn

Options
I need help. I've been working out for about 8 weeks now. In that time I've lost about 22 lbs. It's awesome! I'm feeling better.

BUT... Every time I work out (I'm doing P90x at the moment)... I know I'm not going as hard as I can.
I can't beat the mental block preventing me from giving it my all.

How do you guys push through the pain and work out at your full potential? I need to really push through and start kicking my *kitten* just a bit more.

What works for you?

Replies

• Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just remind myself that time in the gym is 100% my time, dedicated to me and to not feel guilty about that.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Oddly for me the problem is that I work out too much at the gym -- muscles are built while resting, not while working out! Generally speaking, I suggest striving for consistency rather than perfection. Showing up at the gym is 90%!
  • RoyBoling
    Options
    I have found that I hate going to the gym. I have no motivation to get on a treadmill, stairclimber, etc. I find it best to get outside and take a hike, swim, bike, etc. once I am a few miles from home, it forces me to suck it up and push on. Works for me. I try to finds activities I enjoy, I prefer to have fun than "work out", once it becomes mundane, I switch activity. Usually coming back around to the activities I enjoyed the most. I recenty bought a fitbit to easily keep track of various exercises, it gives a lot of little goals to keep motivated. Hope it helps.
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    22 pounds in 8 weeks is almost 3 pounds a week - you should be thrilled!

One way to increase your burn is to not do the same thing everyday. I try to do something different everyday, unless I'm lazy then I just do the treadmill and listen to a good book. But if you do something different, even if you're not giving it 100% it's still a good shock to your body. So maybe get another workout and alternate between them.
  • Tequan
    Tequan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    While doing your workout, you've got to keep your goal in mind. Envision the body that you're wanting and tell yourself that if I want it, I've got to go and get it!! Working through the whole thing is how you do it. Go until you can't go anymore or until it's over. If you stop tell yourself that you won't get to your goal if you just stop. Maybe stop for a minute, then jump right back in!!

You know what motivates you...lookin' hot for the chics, having those abs that ripple....go for it man!!
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do the gym but I'm not big on it. Find it boring. Same with swimming. I prefer to get outside and run or bike ride. To push myself, such as yesterday, I wanted to run 16 miles. I ran 8 miles from home. Doesn't leave me much choice, either run 8 miles home or have to admit defeat and call my wife to come get me. That ain't going to happen unless I've broke my leg or something severe like that.

Another thing I do is sign up for races. I'm signed up for a sprint Tri at the beginning of September and a marathon at the end of September.

Probably the number one thing you can do though is find something you really love to do. I love to move so I do a lot of running, road biking and just getting into mountain biking.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do the gym but I'm not big on it. Find it boring. Same with swimming. I prefer to get outside and run or bike ride. To push myself, such as yesterday, I wanted to run 16 miles. I ran 8 miles from home. Doesn't leave me much choice, either run 8 miles home or have to admit defeat and call my wife to come get me. That ain't going to happen unless I've broke my leg or something severe like that.

Another thing I do is sign up for races. I'm signed up for a sprint Tri at the beginning of September and a marathon at the end of September.

Probably the number one thing you can do though is find something you really love to do. I love to move so I do a lot of running, road biking and just getting into mountain biking.

Amen, brother! The only way to sustain the active lifestyle is to ENJOY it!!! 16 miles? You are a BEAST!!!

- Sev
  • Muc730
    Muc730 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hey, when I did P90X for the first time I felt the same way as you described by phase 2...What I was missing was the recovery formula they talk about in the videos. I thought I didn't need it and that it was just another money making scheme. I was wrong....i felt so wiped that I finally caved in and went to our local supplement store and asked for somehthing simular to the P90X recovery formula. The guy hooked me up with a post workout drink called Waxxy Maize Maxx. (orange)..I took 1 scoop with water right after my workouts...I instantly started feeling way better..I have since turned a number of friends onto it and they all say the same thing...they don't feel wiped and their muscles don't hurt as much as they use to....I find the taste reminds me of TANG just a bit chaulkier....Trust me..if you take a post workout drink you will regain the will to push on and harder....I did..

Cheers,
    Muc
  • bmoregan
    bmoregan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought about "pushing" yourself and "kicking your *kitten*".

Don't.

I saw a documentary about this trainer at a small club in Kenya that has produced several world and olympic champions (incl. David Rudshia). At one point he's observing some of the guys finishing their training session and he made a comment like "See them there, laughing and smiling after a session. That's what you want to see." With him was former World 5000m champion Eamonn Coughlan who was blown away and said "That's so different to what we would do in the states, where we're encouraged to push and push".

I think we're culturally conditioned into "No pain, no gain". Last time I pushed 100% I tore a hamstring and lost weeks. So actually I'm a big fan of 80%.

But that's just my $0.02 and works for me.