Horizon tonight

Options
garnet56
garnet56 Posts: 21 Member
There is going to be a program on Horizon tonight 9pm BBC2 showing the benefits of keeping to a very low diet, approx 600 cals for two days a week. It will reserve judgement until I see it which will not be tonight due to the Olympics

Replies

• lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely watch this!
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Should be interesting
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Have set the tv to record, will also reserve judgement until after programme. Problem is that for any weight plan loss, and for any item of food which causes controversy (like diet coke) there are numerous studies which are for or against.

The majority of the studies are either years old and have never been looked at again with modern technology or the number of people used in the study are so small that they cannot show a true indication of how the item/diet will affect the population as a whole.
  • clarechieri
    clarechieri Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I read about it on the BBC website and have done the other version where you eat what you want (within reason) one day then between 5-600cals the next. It worked fine and I lost 1-2lb a week but found that it was fine as long as I wasn't really doing anything on the down days as they where called. having a pretty busy day I did get quite grumpy on the down days and eventually found I lost the same just eating less everyday and not being so restricted. The one other thing I found was having free reign to eat what I wanted kind of made me want to carry on like that everyday lol
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've recorded this to watch later (and might catch it on iPlayer later)

I only saw the tail end of it and I know the premise was supposed based on some genetic markers Michael Mosely had in some blood work that mean he was possibly pre-diabetic and at risk of some types of cancer.

I don't really want to comment more at this point, but I was a bit confused that he was also trying to lose weight - I know he has done on a previous programme "10 Things You Need To Know About Losing Weight" (where he discovered he was skinny-fat, i.e. carrying quite a bit of visceral fat around his internal organs while outwardly appearing quite slim, and to be honest, he's never looked "fat", "plump" or anything more than trim and slim on camera, so I'm intrigued as to what that was all about.

Guess I need to watch the prog! :ohwell:
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I watched it on iPlayer. It was very interesting. Michael Mosely did lose weight - you can see it. They show the before and after. I don't think losing weight was initally his goal, but they measured his body fat percentage, and it was 28% and they told him it should be lower than that. So that was one of his aims when fasting.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. Just watched it on iplayer too. Also impressed by the drop in body fat from 28 to 19% over the program. Concerned how exercise fits in and also how it's possible to keep it up if you no longer wish to lose weight. Definitely worthy of further research and possibly a trial if nothing looks bad. I'm from a family where EVERYONE dies from cancer so reducing that risk factor intrigues me.
  • TraceAT
    TraceAT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also impressed by the drop in body fat from 28 to 19% over the program.
    Ditto
    Concerned how exercise fits in and also how it's possible to keep it up if you no longer wish to lose weight.
    You raised a very good point there!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    From what I understood, you keep it up forever - intermittent fasting is sustainable. You can do it whether or not you want to lose weight - if you've reached your optimum weight, you won't keep losing weight. You just stay healthier and reduce risk of age-related diseases.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There's an interesting discussion going on about it on the main forum:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/695809-uk-programme-on-fasting
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was talking about this at work with another guy who keeps fit, he did the two days starvation over the last 48 hours, he said it wasn't too bad. I'll update you next week.
  • garnet56
    garnet56 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We finally watched the program and it seemed to make sense so at the end of last week we did two days at 600 calorie. We exercised as normal on both days and in fact the following day I did 100 lengths of an 18meter pool in my normal time. prior to eating. My husband and I both lost about 2lb and so far have kept it off. I was surprised by the lack of hunger, yes by the evening of the second day I had to be strong not to eat but it was manageable and there was no desire to over eat in the following days. This week due to social commitment we are going to do two separate days and see how that goes.