Potassium list?

Options
Jindra12
Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
Hello all,

I am a Xfitter. Everytime when I am low on the potassium and then my legs would wakes me up at middle of night with a scream, " cramps!!!" I hate it and it wasn't fun. Obviously I need to work to increase my potassium amount. I messed up with my weight for this week to find something that is really high in potassium, really low with carbs, sugars, and sodium.

I have come up with something.

Carrot is nice but the sugar is high.
Broccoli has good potassium size.
Pork Tenderlion has good potassium in it but the sodium is ok.
Coconut water is champ with the potassium, but it's $$ and hard to find it in rural area.

Could you please list out something that you know it is really high with potassium, and low with sugar and carb?

Thanks!

Replies

• amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would be more inclined to think you need more in the way of magnesium? I use Fibroplex magnesium powder mixed with mineral water post-workout and I never get those god-awful leg cramps any more (and they used to be quite common for me).
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Tomato Puree very high in Potassium 1150mg 70calories or
    1 fig 900 mg and 100 calories
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    should have mentioned it is based on 100 grams
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, zucchini, avocados, spinach, cantaloupe, bananas, sweet potatoes (last two aren't super low in carbs, but I usually only eat once a day). When my potassium is really low, I drink low sodium V8/tomato juice. Not super paleo-friendly, but high in potassium (low sodium is higher than the regular in potassium).

I've made dishes that combine tomatoes & zucchini and it's super high in potassium! chili, "spaghetti" sauce (use over spaghetti squash, or I've made lasagna with zucchini in place of the noodles). Or tomatoes + avocado.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    You can get packets of potassium powder prescribed to you. Husband takes them-- they weren't covered by insurance but weren't too expensive either.
  • greenlj77
    Options
    Womever said that low levels of magnesium is most likely the culprit is probably correct. Primary disturbances in magnesium balance, particularly magnesium depletion, produce secondary potassium depletion. Repletion of cell potassium requires correction of the magnesium deficit. You often see the two together in dietary supplements. Try eating foods that contain both and see if that helps!

I work in health care (hematology/oncology) and often hear the recommendation of increasing magnesium intake when having muscle cramps. In a clinical environment, magnesium replacement is often necessary before hypokalemia and potassium depletion can be satisfactorily corrected with potassium supplements. K + Mg solutions are often administered to cardio and chemo patients.