Protein Powder & Bars

Options
KateDelisa
KateDelisa Posts: 3 Member
What kind of powder and bars is everyone using for Insanity? I put up a post about the ones I'm using:

http://partdelikate.blogspot.com/2012/08/insanity-bars-and-protein-powder.html

Do you you think there is something better out there?

Replies

• LD1996
    LD1996 Posts: 13
    Options
    I use the Detour protein bars because they are low in sugar and the taste isn't too bad. As for protein powder, I've been using ProV 60 and Oh Yeah. Both taste alright, are high in protein (30g per scoop) and low in sugar.
  • fitmum2be
    fitmum2be Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is what I make :)
    Recipe
    1 Cup No added salt, No added sugar Peanut Butter (Any natural variety will do)
    3 Tablespoons Honey
    1 1/2 Cups Protein Powder
    1 Cup Oats (Not quick cook kind)
    6 Tablespoons of water (I just did it till it was a good consistency firm but moist)
    3 Tablespoons of coca (optional)

Addtional: Nuts, Sultanas, Raisins, Almond slices, Dried fruit (All optional) I even added 1/2 cup of Kellogs special K advantage for some crunch and extra fibre & protein.

Method: Melt Honey and Peanut butter in microwave while placing all the dry ingredients in a bowl then mix through the honey and peanut butter add some water till a nice firm but moist consistency.
    (Optional fold through the fruit, nuts etc)
    Press into a lined tin then cut into 12 pieces and chill. You can wrap them individually for an on the go option.

Really easy no fuss and they taste great!.

Calories 244 (Less than some protein shakes)
    13g Carbs
    5g Fat
    24g Protein
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This is what I do:

before workout:
    clif bar (or 20-30 gr dark chocolate), 7-keto 25 mg (but trying to build down), 2 gr creatine M in dextrose

after workout:
    200 ml lactel milk, 1 scoop whey powder, 2 gr creatine M in water
  • LD1996
    LD1996 Posts: 13
    Options
    This is what I make :)
    Recipe
    1 Cup No added salt, No added sugar Peanut Butter (Any natural variety will do)
    3 Tablespoons Honey
    1 1/2 Cups Protein Powder
    1 Cup Oats (Not quick cook kind)
    6 Tablespoons of water (I just did it till it was a good consistency firm but moist)
    3 Tablespoons of coca (optional)

Addtional: Nuts, Sultanas, Raisins, Almond slices, Dried fruit (All optional) I even added 1/2 cup of Kellogs special K advantage for some crunch and extra fibre & protein.

Method: Melt Honey and Peanut butter in microwave while placing all the dry ingredients in a bowl then mix through the honey and peanut butter add some water till a nice firm but moist consistency.
    (Optional fold through the fruit, nuts etc)
    Press into a lined tin then cut into 12 pieces and chill. You can wrap them individually for an on the go option.

Really easy no fuss and they taste great!.

Calories 244 (Less than some protein shakes)
    13g Carbs
    5g Fat
    24g Protein

Those sound pretty good. I'll have to try them out.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever they put in the ones at the gym. :P They are yummy though.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the Met-Rx Protein Plus Protein Bars. Most of the ones I've found have high sugars/carbs. These have carbs, but only 2g of sugar. It also makes a great meal replacement when I get stuck so I usually have some in the saddlebags when heading across town or on trips.

For a protein shake, I use the recipe from the P90X program that uses protein powder, bananas and strawberries.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    I use the Supreme Protein bars: carb control. The all taste really good and are low in sugar
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    I use Quest Bars.
  • GemmaCoulling
    Options
    I use PhD Diet Whey (34g protein per serving) for my post-workout shake and I mix 2 scoops with 350ml of light chocolate soya milk and a handful of ice cubes. I don't eat protein bars though because they're expensive.
  • idriven7
    idriven7 Posts: 24
    Options
    I use -> Pure Protein: Chocolate Deluxe 50g / 180 Calories / 17g carbs / 2g sugar / 21g Protein

And best of all their fairly inexpensive $1.76 or a-5 pack is about $6.00

Hope this helps

PS Be ware of the chocolate chip flavor its 230 cal!
  • rnb1127
    rnb1127 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity, has anyone tried beach body's "Shakeology"? someone told me it was good but man the price is steep!! $120 for a 30 day supply :noway:
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    out of curiosity, has anyone tried beach body's "Shakeology"? someone told me it was good but man the price is steep!! $120 for a 30 day supply :noway:

I'll let you after tomorrow.. My first bag is scheduled for delivery tomorrow afternoon..