Options
Hi I am 42 and believe I have symptoms of perimenopause. I stopped taking birth control because my doctor at the time said it was the only way to truly know if the symptoms I was reporting was the beginning of menopause. I soon found out that one of the reasons I wasnt sleeping through the night was due to waking up sweating...then for no reason at all during the day I range from hot to cold, havent had a period in over two months (took pregnancy test) to make sure I wasnt crazy! and the weight gain started about the age of 40 I was eating the same amount with the same exercise.....frustrating!!!!! I am a WLS patient...7 years out feeling like im a failure due to this weight gain plus I was diagnosed with Fibro in January....So im hoping to find tips on how to lose the weight I gained and stay sane while going through this time......:smile:

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Aren't the night sweats awful?
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi Sabrina
    I am 54 also a WLS paitent, and was maintaining my 150lbs lost up until last year and then 40 lbs!! I cannot just blame perimenopause, but it was a factor. I have now lost the 40 plus 10 more, and trying to get down to my ultimate goal weight another 40 lbs. I never sleep anymore for many reasons, hot and cold all night long is only one of them but a major contributor. I have been diligent in recording of my calorie intake and exercise for at least 40 mins daily to get off what I gained. Start out slow and steady and I am positive you will lose that which is creeping back on!! Good luck to you!!

PS I have been in peri-menopause since I was 42 !!
  • SabrinaNorton70
    SabrinaNorton70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement as I thought I was going crazy and wow with WLS and gaining weight it does something to a persons psyche if you know what i mean! I hope you are doing well also!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I too am going through pre-menopause and I am 51 and since I lost 22 pounds on here seems like the hot flashes have increased two fold. I have my gyno appointment this evening so gonna find out what she has to say about the night sweats increasing with weight loss. You can lose the weight though. I started at 146 and I am now 125. I have gone under the 125 but don't want to be lower than that so I eat more if I go under lol. My belly has gone down a lot but now I just need to firm it up sigh
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I too am going through pre-menopause and I am 51 and since I lost 22 pounds on here seems like the hot flashes have increased two fold. I have my gyno appointment this evening so gonna find out what she has to say about the night sweats increasing with weight loss. You can lose the weight though. I started at 146 and I am now 125. I have gone under the 125 but don't want to be lower than that so I eat more if I go under lol. My belly has gone down a lot but now I just need to firm it up sigh
    Interesting that the hot flashes have increased.... I've had fairly stable weight. I was having bad hot flashes and then started bio-identical progesterone. Hot flashes and night sweats have pretty much stopped... knock on wood. It's been a few months since I've noticed, anyway.
    Hope all goes well with your GYN!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Had a great visit and yes she did say I am pre-menopause due to my symptoms. She did offer me the HRT but I declined as I really don't want to take any medication if I don't have too. She did tell me that one of her patients said eating a box of raisins every day helped her menopause symptoms so starting tomorrow I will be on vacation for a week and won't be on here, but I'm gonna eat a box of raisins every day to see if it helps me at all. I have noticed the past week or so they haven't been as bad and the only different thing I've been doing is taking Vitamin E as was told this would help. I still have the hot flashes but they haven't seemed as frequent and as bad.