Addiction

Options
AmIhealthyyet
AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
has anyone noticed that their food addiction (if they had one) is now being replaced with an addiction to this site and talking and reading about their health? I feel like I am spending way too much time using this site as opposed to REALLY getting healthy! More time then I even spent eating is spent on my computer now, too much time! i am thinking of making everything private to avoid yet another addiction! love your thoughts???

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I spend too much time on the train wrecks that are the paleo vs veg*n threads, but I'm already on the computer for hours a day (I'm a web developer).

As for your replacing one addiction with another, it's not uncommon. So if you truly had an addiction to one or more foods, then it's completely plausible that you're replacing it with chatting on the forums. The trick is switching your addictive tendencies to something more productive. If you can, I'd suggest going for a walk or something, or look up Parkour and then go for a walk and see if you can start spotting the Parkour opportunities around you (that's been my thing whenever I go out for a walk whlie at work).

Weight lifting is a great thing to become addicted to, but I'm probably biased on that account (I love me some heavy lifting). :)
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Er...hell yeah!

Healthier than my previous wine and deep fried snacks addiction though. And I have the smaller size to prove it :)
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    i do love exercise so that is a help. i think what I will do is just give myself twice a day to get on here. in the morning and once in the evening. I also will take this and FB off of my phone and I pad, it will keep me from looking every two seconds to see what is happening. I work from my home and in a job where i dont talk (massage therapist) so some days it is my only communication. But this addiction does beat the beers and junk I ate everyday!
  • klgglasgow
    klgglasgow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I work from home as well; I think it makes it more difficult to not keep checking social media. I write on my computer, too....so that makes it even more difficult. I even deactivated my facebook awhile ago to see if it helped...that's when I signed up here! LOL!:embarassed:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm on the computer alot anyway. I love this site, except that I need to avoid the "train wreck" posts too, that even though not on a vegan group, attract the vegans. I have no issues with people's personal choice but pushing it on others and suggesting meat eaters are "immoral"; can't take it. I live with Inuit people and I have a tough time ignoring the false info and lunacy. :)

So, yes, I'm getting addicted, but I love the support, the like-minded friends that I am making, and the food tracker. OMG! I was on another site for so long, paying $22 per month and they wouldn't provide any macronutrient values... points... wtf? LOL My love affair with MFP started when I found out that I could change the macronutrient goals to whatever I want! Now the group discussions offer me "food for thought" and extreme happiness that there are other people like me out there somewhere.
  • greenlj77
    Options
    If there's anything I NEED to be addicted to, it's becoming the person I want to be. I would love to become addicted to weight lifting swimming laps, cooking Paleo, getting out in the fresh air, meditating as I should. Like any other pursuit it takes patience and dedication. Are you worth it to yourself?
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    This has become my new addiction however it's quite a healthy one ;)
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Not a bad thing. You are all great and bettering yourself. Me too...Bring it on!
  • jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I found myself spending too much time on this site too - and the funny thing is, I don't think I've ever read a blog before! I try to only read stuff that helps me -- I stay away from the train wreck stuff. I've really love the new friends I have on MFP. I feel like I have a ton of support! It makes such a huge difference! My fiance is supportive and doing paleo/primal with me -- but I have the nay-sayers - friends at work especially. They seem to really enjoy making fun of my eating choices. With the support I have here - that doesn't bother me so much and I have a lot of information to throw back at them.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I found myself spending too much time on this site too - and the funny thing is, I don't think I've ever read a blog before! I try to only read stuff that helps me -- I stay away from the train wreck stuff. I've really love the new friends I have on MFP. I feel like I have a ton of support! It makes such a huge difference! My fiance is supportive and doing paleo/primal with me -- but I have the nay-sayers - friends at work especially. They seem to really enjoy making fun of my eating choices. With the support I have here - that doesn't bother me so much and I have a lot of information to throw back at them.

I think for me i need to find the balance. stay away from the Facebook like post and watch the amount of time I spend reading the blogs. The support from people has been so incredible and watching others doing so well is motivating!