County Fairs

Options
menletti
menletti Posts: 96 Member
Do any of you enter your sewing projects in the county fairs? Several years ago I entered a christening dress. It was the first time I had ever entered anything. I got a blue ribbon. I was very pleased. When I went to pick it up after the fair, I was standing in line waiting to sign out and one of the judges came up to me and congratulated me. She said that was the best hand work they'd seen in a long time. Turns out the certificate and ribbon I was holding was not just for my little dress in the sewing division...it was an over all award. I took top prize not only in sewing, but quilting, needlework (Knitting, etc), crafting, woodworking....I was dumbfounded. Freaked me out and I haven't put anything else in since. I've made plenty of things but I'm soooo anal when it comes to mistakes that I double check all the stitching and everything. Nothing seems good enough to enter. :embarassed:

Replies

• casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thats great! One of my goals is to enter something in a county fair someday. But, like you I'm anal and will not enter something unless it is perfect, and so far my work isn't perfect.
  • menletti
    Options
    Not only that...! But what if I enter something that isn't perfect and people see my name on it!? That scares the bejeebers out of me!
  • Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations! It must have been beautiful! I have never entered my quilting in the fairs. I did enter a photo a few years ago and did well. But I don't like my sewing projects scrutinized. You are braver than me!
  • menletti
    Options
    It was pretty but nothing special. Very simple but I did do a lot of hand work on it. I don't like people to scrutinize my work either but I couldn't see any flaws so I felt fairly confident. I just am not very competitive so I don't like being compared to other people. Secretly though I was quite giddy because there are a group of women that seem to "take turns" winning the ribbon. I just always figured the judges were friends, relatives, or church members of these 3 gals. We happened to be standing there looking at the ribbon winners (mine included) while they were and they were quite snarky about my dress winning and theirs not. My husband said in a big loud voice "Oh look, Hon! Your dress got Grand Prize! I don't see anything from those ~other~ ladies that usually win" LOL They really skeedaddled! LOL Not very charitable of us but funny anyway. Old biddies anyway.