Finished Stage 1/Workout A1 - questions!!

Options
bethad5
bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
Okay, so I did the first workout! I did ten minutes warmup on the track (walk a lap, jog a lap) and then did the stretches in the book, and then did bodyweight squats. And then I started the actual workout. Questions:

1) Squats: I did just the bar in the squat rack, but I can't go parallel. I can't even go parallel to the ground with just bodyweight. Do I continue doing bodyweight squats until I can go parallel or is it okay to not go all the way down?

2) Push-up: I used a bench press bar which I think was about a 45 degree incline. Again, I don't think I did them all the way - I definitely didn't go an inch away from the bar, and my arms were pretty shaky at the end. should I try counter push-ups, or continue the 45 degree ones and try to improve?

3) Seated row: This is the only one I think i did right, except the first couple reps I was moving my back backwards too. Then I looked at the book again and (hopefully) got the form correctly.

4) Step-up: I now understand what everyone means by being so easy to cheat!! At first I was using a small box which was way too high. I ended up finding a step and some risers. I found if I focus on using my heel of my working foot I don't try to use the nonworking foot. Does this sound right?

5) Prone jackknives. My nemesis. Is a smaller or bigger ball better? I started with a smaller ball and did 7, but realized I was doing it wrong - I was bringing my knees down towards the ground rather than forward. So, the second set, I tried a bigger ball. I was unsteady on both but the bigger ball I only was able to do 4 before rolling around like a spaz and falling off. The 4 that I think I did correctly, though, definitely felt different than the four I did on the small ball!

Overall, it took over an hour to do - but that included warm up and stretching. I also had to wait for the squat rack to open up. I had my boyfriend do it with me and he was scoffing about it being so short but we both were sweaty messes at the end.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! Now time to study up on workout B :)

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hurray for starting! Maybe I can help on a few.

1 Squats. Definetly work on your bodyweight form until you're happy with it, then go up. My form is still pretty crappy and I'm on phase 3, but i think it's just about right now. This is important for squats because there are so many factors besides leg strength: ankle flexibility, butt strength, back strength... get it all evened out, so to speak, and then you'll have the foundation for uber epic squat action.

2 Pushups. I started on counter, too. Again I'd say get your form correct before moving up.

3 Row. Yeah keep your back steady as possible. I do bent-over rows and I usually catch myself using momentum when I increase weight.

4 Stepups. I f*ing hate these :laugh: I have to trick myself, too, I think it's the combination of concentration and difficult movement that makes me dislike them so much.
  • bethad5
    bethad5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I definitely think I did the squats wrong - the back of my neck is super sore, I think I had the barbell in the wrong spot. Maybe trying to get better form with just bodyweight is a good way to go?
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    If your neck is sore you probably had the bar to far on your neck and not enough on the tops of your shoulder blades area. You would need to contract your shoulder muscles so that it creates a little "shelf" so to speak for the bar to rest. But I would probably try BW before you try the bar again. I would think a couple of times w/BW and good form you can move to the bar w/no problem :)

You may surprise yourself next time in what one workout will do. Try your push-ups again like you did and see if by chance one or two at the end were easier than last time. It may be slight difference, like your arms didn't shake as bad for the last 5 like they did for the last 7 this time (or how ever many). I think you can push thru (no pun intended) but make sure your form is good, no slopping back, etc :) and if you can't for your first set, try a variation for your next one.

I find the small ball was easier for prone jackknife but maybe because it's not as far from the floor, you are not as in such an angle as you would be on the larger ball...maybe?

Congrats on starting!! I will be on vacation starting Thursday but look forward to seeing your Workout B adventure in the near future :)
  • slammy1079
    Options
    I tried using the squat rack at my other gym (I get a free membership from work but pay for another because I like it better) the other day, and I swear it effed up my knee. I probably was positioned wrong, but I'm going to go back to squatting while holding very heavy kettlebells - I find that my form auto-corrects itself since I have to balance on top of squatting the weight.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I would definitely try the squats without the bar until your form is good. You could also try it by holding 5lb dumbbells (or more if you are so inclined) which is a lot easier for beginners. Please please be careful with the deadlift in Workout B. You can really injure your back if you are not careful. I would definitely start with a normal bar weight rather than with the olympic barbell.

Stick with the bigger ball for prone jackknives. I promise this will get easier! I started doing this one with the ball a couple inches from a wall and my feet towards the wall. It helped me know that the ball wouldn't roll out from under me if I was unsteady.

Great job! Hope you like Workout B too!