ALL cereal is TOXIC?! Organic is the worst?!

Options
akmett
akmett Posts: 75 Member
I just recently starting trying to eat clean, but have a closet full of "junk" I can't bear to throw out. In the meantime I have been trying to educate myself and everytime I think I make a step in the right direction I find out I am not doing as good as I thought. I have started buying organic and staying away form preservatives but then I come across articules such as this:

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/boxed-breakfast-cereal-is-toxic/

SCARY...what are your thoughts?

Is she crazy or genius?

Replies

• namina13
    namina13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is new to me too... some days I do better than others! I've been trying to follow the Kimberly Snyder Detox diet, although it's pretty hardcore. I do feel great when I am following it properly, and I've been drinking her Glowing Green Smoothies for breakfast... it's basically romaine lettuce, spinach, celery, pear, apple, banana, and lemon juice blended together and it tastes very light and yummy. You could maybe try that for breakfast instead of cereal. I think you could also buy a high quality granola from a health food store (some of these stores make their own, I would look for that instead of pre-packaged) and put some almond milk over it, and voila! You have cereal. :)
  • akmett
    akmett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check her out :)
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal quite a bit.... I do occasionally have boxed cereal if I want it, but not nearly as often as I used to.
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Don´t worry to much about it, honey. Sure, boxed cereal isn´t great nutritionwise, but toxic? I don´t know. Sounds a bit dramatic to me.
    Usually I avoid boxed cereal but I looooove my breakfast grains. I use Quinoa, Barley and Oatmeal on a regular base.
    And on a sidenote: I hope you are not too discouraged by this article because I am certain you´re doing just fine :)
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    This does seem a little extreme...I am confused as to why the speed of cooking would cause the grains to become toxic. You are not adding anything but heat and steam. We boils foods all the time. My rice isn't toxic because I cooked it... I don't know. I think that moderate amounts of boxed cereal isnt going to hurt me. But its not the best thing I could put in my bidy either.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think they are saying the oils in the grains go rancid? I read that somewhere else.... not sure.

Edited to say ... just bought some Multi Grain Cheerio's anyway, since they are MY FAVORITE!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The author provided nothing to substantiate what she said.

Until I see a headline of someone dying of corn flake poisoning, I'll ignore this.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I so agree with the others to me she did not give a thorough explanation of why it is bad...that saying most food we buy are going to processed in some way. I think key is try to get as minimally processed as possible. Homemade bread is processed but if made with good ingredients can benefit you! I would take with a grain of salt....do more of your own research on this one before making conclusions.
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't believe anything the Healthy Home Economist says, she finds the bad in EVERYTHING!!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think the flavor of boxed cereal is toxic. Does that count? :)

Obviously, I don't like boxed cereal, but I can buy into the fact that the processing of something like that (and the container) could deteriorate health over the long haul. Kill you though? Probably not.
  • LolaVersion2
    LolaVersion2 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am reading this as I sit eating my Trix Cereal. Death by sugar coma does not seem too bad of a way to go....

chomp chomp chomp.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love my fruity cheerios, chocolate cheerios, and life cereal...I used to eat stuff like Cookie Crisp and Cocoa Puffs...so at least that's progress, right? LOL
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I love fiber one. incredible amount of fiber. but now I'm off milk so I add it to other foods
  • blushlady
    blushlady Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I haven't had boxed cereal since I was a kid. I'm now 41 .
    I call them crap in a box.
    Their basically a box of refined sugar and enriched powder.
    Whole grains are the best , oatmeal is good but buckwheat is better its gluten free, so is quinoa.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    I occasionally enjoy some Cheerios or Kashi Go Lean and I'm not dead, I've lost a lot of weight and I feel fine. I'm going to keep eating it. Also the author did not provide anything substantial to back up her claim. Sounds very overly dramatic.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Plus cereal is so expensive. I'm trying to wean my husband off of it now that I eat more primal. Love eggs/bacon but not every am! breakfast examples:
    cottage cheese w/nuts/berries
    high fat greek yogurt w/nuts/berries
    protein shake
    hard boiled egg/bacon
    banana w/pb
    grapefruit
    Ezekial bread/english muffin w/pb

He also drinks milk and oj, which are full of sugar. We're still working on that too!