Sopsongbird's Week 1 Thoughts

Options
Sopsongbird
Sopsongbird Posts: 48 Member
I completed W1D3 today and can honestly say that I can feel a difference! My breathing has become more controlled and my energy to continue jogging has increased. I was able to raise the mph on the treadmill from 4.0 to 4.5 and the walking from 3.0 to 3.3. I have a pain in my left foot that I know is caused by an offbalance gait (due to lax hip ligament and slight pigeon toe), so I will be purchasing inserts for my sneakers. I couldn't increase my walking pace because my calves started burning, so I lowered the pace from 3.5 to 3.3. I'll try more stretching before I start the workout. I guess the muscles are building so they are getting sore during the jog/walk?

Overall, I can't wait to see how W2D1 goes! I'll do it Wednesday morning! I hope everyone is doing well! I am hoping to be ready to run a 5k September 15th! It is for a good cause and I would love to begin my journey then!

Happy running everyone!

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I will be completing W1D3 tonight. I am beginning to have a slight discomfort in my shins, but I posted about it and got some good advice for an exercise to do to "fix" it. I tried it this morning, and the shin soreness went away immediately. So, I am really stoked about doing my last Week 1 session tonight. Then, I'm going to hold off until Friday before I start W2D1. I also started taking a spin class on Monday and Wednesday nights, so I think I need Thursday night to rest my legs before going at it again. I was going to do a full round of C25K on the treadmill before starting outdoors, but I was having trouble getting to the gym and got tired of waiting to start. So, I've started my C25K cycle outdoors on a dirt/leaves/grass trail. So far, I'm loving it.
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    WTG! I'm loving this! It has been SOOOOO hot and humid that running outside is not going to happen. It was 80 degrees by 11:00 this morning and doesn't show signs of dropping. Way to go on the spin class! My gym doesn't offer those, but I try to get on the stationary bike once in a while. The dirt trail will be good for your knees...better than the pavement!
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Yes, it has been wicked hot here too. Been in the 100's most of last week and this week. That's why I wait as late as possible in the evening. I try to time it where I finish just as it's starting to get too dark to be out. The lower impact thing was my reason for wanting to start on the treadmill, but you're right. The dirt/grass is still better than the pavement. I'm hoping to be able to run a 5K, or more, early next year.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi All I'm new to the group and to my fitness pal. I've been looking for some support on my efforts to start running. I'm 53 and my weight is 194 and I'm 5ft 5 inches. So far I've been doing morning walk runs for 30 min I'm able to do 50 sec runs at about 6.0 with rests for 2 min at about 3.3mph I'm fining my hips and gluts have gotten so tight they feel weak. I'm concerned I may be doing too much? Anybody else having these issues? :sad: :grumble:
  • BABetter1
    Options
    I'm enjoying the C25k program very much. I feel like it's pushing me just hard enough, not too hard too fast. But, I did have some shin issues. Proper stretching has fixed that right up, though. You might want to do a separate warm-up, stretch your hip flexors and glutes thoroughly, and then start your regular warm-up and run/walk.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Oh yeah, and don't forget to do a thorough stretch again afterwards.
  • Sopsongbird
    Options
    I was going to start W2D1 today, but my foot is killing me. I went to the podiatrist today and he diagnosed it as Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. I am allowed to continue working out as normal, but I just need today to rest. I'll start W2 tomorrow morning! Hope everyone else is doing well on their training!
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    Love seeing your progress ! Keep it up!
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I was going to start W2D1 today, but my foot is killing me. I went to the podiatrist today and he diagnosed it as Posterior Tibial Tendonitis. I am allowed to continue working out as normal, but I just need today to rest. I'll start W2 tomorrow morning! Hope everyone else is doing well on their training!

How are you doing, Sopsongbird? I know what you mean; I have a heel issue. Hope you're doing better!