Help me with Kipping!!!

Options
crashri
crashri Posts: 19 Member
OK, I have been going to my crossfit box for about 5 weeks now and I still am incapable of kipping. I know I need to practice a lot more, but it is very hard to get to an open gym with my schedule. Does anyone have any advice on how to do it. I understand the concept and can rock forward, but don't really understand the "pop" and pull up to the bar, or the push away. No matter what, when I try it I never even come close to vertical movement.
I especially need the advice or help after today's WOD that included 25, 50, 75 pull-ups. Doing them strict is killing me and I fall WAY behind and hit the time cap.

Replies

• CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    Yeah, help me too.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    First I have to ask can you do strict/deadhang which it sounds like you can do. I agree with the mindset that you should have a few deadhang so that you have the shoulder strength to keep your shoulders safe.

Start by just working on opening the chest (think torso through and arms & legs back) and closing (torso back and arms & legs forward...like the hollow position http://www.gymnasticsrevolution.com/GymInteractive-Floor-Hollow.htm)

Work on rocking between the two for a while and then just pull a little as you come towards the back position...kinda like doing a pullup while you rock
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 tutorial videos on kipping pullups that one of our coaches posted on our box's website. They show that "push away" pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmiKMnu6Hr4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL152B136D83EA84D6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbtqX4ER2yk

I'm still working on pullups... I will master an unassisted dead hang (and kipping) pullup... but for WODs with tons of pullups I still tend to kipp using the bands. That being said I also go in early and work on dead hang pullups to increase my strength. Those are HARD!!
  • crashri
    Options
    All I can do is the dead hang pull-ups, but it takes lot of recovery time and breaking the total count into much smaller sets. Thanks for the videos and the tips, I will take a look at them and try them out.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't like kipping. Strict pull up is harder than kipping, right?
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Kipping is supposed to make pullups much easier because you are using your momentum to throw your body upward.

When you work on kipping, just work on the back and forth rocking movement, with NO pull ups: 1) when your body is in the forward part of the swing, think of chest and head moving THROUGH the arms.... 2) in the backward part of the swing, have knees touch (or almost touch) abs.

Once you get kipping down, your palms will blister.
  • Jindra12
    Options
    Kipping is supposed to make pullups much easier because you are using your momentum to throw your body upward.

When you work on kipping, just work on the back and forth rocking movement, with NO pull ups: 1) when your body is in the forward part of the swing, think of chest and head moving THROUGH the arms.... 2) in the backward part of the swing, have knees touch (or almost touch) abs.

Once you get kipping down, your palms will blister.

Is that kinda of cheating? Why didn't CF ban it? I understand why they want to do that because it moves the pull-ups faster. I rather to do the hardest way instead of having the high #s of reps.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too - kipping looks like cheating ...
  • Jindra12
    Options
    I wondered that too - kipping looks like cheating ...

I did tried do the kippings in Jared's WOD. It does made the pull ups much easier and faster. However, the strict pull ups is still a hell work out. I'm weak in that thing.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    body should look like this ) then this (

I butterfly all my pull ups though. It's important to remember that speed and efficiency are highly important when doing a WOD. It's really important not to find the hardest way to do a task but to find the most efficient way, particularly when high volume is involved
  • crashri
    Options
    thanks for all the helpful posts. I actually pulled it off for the first time last week and have been practicing whenever I can. My hands are ripped raw, but at least I can string 6-10 together pretty well. I looked at a couple of videos on the crossfit community page that helped. The best advice I have is the following two points....
    1. when swinging back and forth move your chest through your shoulders (thank you for whoever posted that). I was initiating the swing with my legs and that is TOTALLY wrong. I actually was thinking of it as sticking my head as far forward as possible on the forward swing.
    2. once you are swinging front to back, there is a point at which your hands "feel" light on the bar. This is when you should pop. This is in one of the vidoes on kipping on the community and it was the other key I was missing. when you are swinging, you can actually feel a point (for me as my head passes back through my shoulders) when you feel almost weightless and this is where I kick with my legs and pull.

Of course the form is important and the push away helps you string them together, but once I got the two points above figured out, it all fell into place.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Awesome, glad to know you are making progress!