Looking for EX-binge eating/ED recovery friends!

Options
echoica
echoica Posts: 339 Member
My story: I have struggled with eating disorders since I was 20 years old - that's almost 15 years (I will be 35 years in March 2012). For the first 6-7 years it was Anorexia and at my lowest I weighed 100lbs. I began experimenting with laxatives which led me to become bulimic to maintain my weight in between 140-160lbs for a few more years. When I was 31, I entered inpatient and outpatient treatment for Bulimia as I was struggling with significant distress - Clinical Depression and Social Anxiety Disorder. I eliminated purging behaviours but continued to binge eat which has led me to Binge Eating Disorder (BED). I have gained 200lbs as a result of my binge eating in the past 5 years. My entire adult life has been the "all or nothing" approach and one thing that can be said for sure is starvation, purging et al DOES NOT WORK. It destroys every piece of who you are and takes over your entire life.

This is my first real shot at true recovery despite all of "attempts" in the past few years (which typically involved a never ending cycle of heavy restricting and binge eating). What does that mean? I have (FINALLY) "normalized" my eating to disengage in disordered eating behaviours and have implemented the cognitive approaches to battle my dysfunctional thinking.

I am looking for friends on this journey. Preferably people who understand at least some of what I am talking about here. So don't be shy! Add me as a friend and let's help keep each other motivated and accountable :) Thanks for reading!

Replies

• sjbangs
    sjbangs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 years old and finally came to terms with my binge eating disorder at the end of January. While I was in college I was going to a support group, but after breaking up with my fiance and graduating, I not only lost access to that group, but my binge eating got way out of control. I've also dabbled in laxatives and as a result have screwed up my digestion. I'm currently taking a bunch of supplements to help my body get used to breaking down food properly again. I gained 40 lbs just this summer after living alone for the first time and trying to deal with it on my own. After moving to California and seeking the help of a psychiatrist I was diagnosed with moderate bipolar disorder, which triggers my binge urges when I swing back and forth. I'm currently working with a personal trainer/nutritionist who is trying to re-adjust my body to good foods, but is also trying to get my off my medication. Between not being medicated and trying to quit smoking, my bingeing has been getting out of control. I lost about 10 lbs in my first month of trying since I've been out here, but I've plateaued for the last twenty days or so.
    Any and all support is appreciated!
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your story! it's so difficult to break the cycle but we CAN!!!
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I will be your friend. We can work and struggle to overcome hardships together.
    Having people around me, striving for the same goals, helps keep me motivated and strong. It is even better when others count on me to help them stay motivated and accountable as well....
    ME:
    I am just beginning to realize that binging, and some of my other "quirks", will never truly go away.
    This is not just a journey for me, it is me. Part of me will always have to be dedicated to breaking this awful addiction and others, while grabbing and holding onto the good habits I find along the way (like knitting).

Cheers to a healthy lifestyle from this moment, and every moment here on out.
  • recoveryisbeautiful
    Options
    I've been bingeing as long as I can remember, but I recently started compensating for the binges by fasting, over-exercising and restricting. I'm now trying to recover from bulimia, non-purge subtype. Feel free to add =)