What to do if my Reset wasn't a Reset?

Options
Hi. If anyone looks at every thread I start, I probably am a huge pain asking so many questions on so many different threads. Nevertheless, I just want to fully understand what this is and what I'm doing, and ensure that I'm doing everything right. Gah. Okay, here's the rundown. I started a reset eight weeks ago with the intent of a full metabolism reset. But instead of eating my TDEE (2,300) like I was supposed to, I got the numbers confused and ate 1,900 instead. For the full eight weeks. I gained 10 pounds and was so looking forward to my cut until I realized I had actually never eaten at my TDEE level for the eight weeks I was supposed to be "resetting".

I posted about it in several different threads, but here's one that I got an answer on: (Advice for CUT thread)
per your numbers:
BMR- 1525
TDEE- 2365
TDEE-10%- 2130
TDEE-15%- 2010

So the question is were you eating BMR+exercise cals? If so then you would have been netting BMR (at least).
The shortest reset is 6 weeks. You could try to eat at one of the cuts for 4 weeks and see if you have any changes in measurements/size. If no change after that time then go to TDEE. It's a personal choice, depends on how long you were on a VLCD.

Check the home page for more info on the reset:

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Hope that works for you~

Ookay...so I was eating about 1900, but burned about 400 from daily exercise. I did not eat exercise cals back. That would put me directly at my BMR, not really much over though. I could try eating at one of the cuts for 4 weeks and see if I have any changes in measurements/size, but I think it would only be a change for the bigger. Do I eat TDEE for another 4 weeks anyway? Another 6 weeks? Another 8 weeks? I'm trying to sort all of this through my brain. What happens next? :\

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I recommend another 6. I know 4 sounds better but it seems most people start feeling better, began being more stable around 4 then that gives your body another 2 wks to get used that amount of food even more. Plus mentally it was week 7 that things really hit me and I am so glad I did reset even though now I question whether I really needed to have done it. If anything, I needed it mentally and emotionally to be where I am now.

Make sure you hit your TDEE everyday, even if it means 50 or so over. Good luck!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ookay...so I was eating about 1900, but burned about 400 from daily exercise. I did not eat exercise cals back. That would put me directly at my BMR, not really much over though. I could try eating at one of the cuts for 4 weeks and see if I have any changes in measurements/size, but I think it would only be a change for the bigger. Do I eat TDEE for another 4 weeks anyway? Another 6 weeks? Another 8 weeks? I'm trying to sort all of this through my brain. What happens next? :\

Hey there,

Oh you poor thing... some of this stuff can be so confusing when you start.

Unfortunately eating at BMR for 8 weeks is so far away from a proper reset that you probably won't have gained any benefits of a reset whatsoever. If you're eating at BMR, nothing's changing. Your body may still think it was close to starving. It would hold onto fat because it would still be in the wrong mode. Eating at BMR every day might just be too low and your body now needs to recover from this.

In order to recover, you need to do the full, proper metabolism reset. That is eating at TDEE for 8 weeks. Your body needs to know that it's getting it's next meal, every meal, every hour. It needs to be properly fed so that when you finally get to cutting, it releases everything it's been holding onto.

If you're terrified of upping so drastically, try upping your cals gradually over a few weeks. Unfortunately you might still gain a little bit during the reset, but you have to focus on the long term plan, not the short term effects. There is a metabolism reset support thread in here and it's really really helpful. I know people have struggled on the reset, but I've never ever heard someone say they're regretted it after they start cutting again and the fat loss process starts working as it should. It's also a mental reset, and this is really important too.

One more thing that I feel is very important to mention... the TDEE and CUT numbers are always inclusive of exercise. So no matter which one you're eating, you don't need to worry about how much you've burned unless you net under BMR. Then you must ALWAYS eat more cals to net over the BMR or your body thinks it's starving again.

Reset for 8 weeks at your TDEE, lift heavy weights 3 times a week, and when you start cutting, you won't know yourself!! With all that muscle that you will have built, the fat will start flying off. I know 8 weeks sounds like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not that long. And resets are so amazing because everything you've deprived yourself of for so long becomes a wonderful part of your life again.

I really wish you the best of luck, and just keep asking questions because that is what everybody is here for!