"I wonder if he/she has noticed ________ yet."

Options
porcelain_doll
porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
Anyone have a physical characteristic that they are self-conscious about when socializing or out on a date (apart from weight, obviously, since we are all here on MFP)?

I'll start. I have a condition that makes my eyes move back and forth involuntarily. I'm not joking. It is called nystagmus. Thankfully it is just a mild case; I've seen a few cases that are much worse. Some people notice it right away and others never at all.

You?

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Badly crooked and as a result now missing teeth,makes it hard to smile.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    where do i start?

- my acne
    - my stomach
    - my calves
    - my big feet
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Acne scars on my face and my giant thighs/*kitten*.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Mmm gur shake dat *kitten* for me
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    As much hair as i have on my head. my bangs and top of my head are thinning......on my mind alot. :(
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My left eye doesn't seem to open as wide as my right.. I think it's weird.

Other than that, just flab...haha...but that's highly noticeable, so....
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone notices I'm short, but I'm not self conscious about it. :bigsmile:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I have a scar on my back from an operation when I was a small boy. Although by the time she sees that, I'm pretty much home free, if you know what I mean... :-)

--P
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1)I got a bad right foot/ankle. I sometimes visibly walk with a slight limp because of it. It looks like it hurts but it doesn't.
    2) I have a few skin tags around my neck area that I have developed over the years of being so fat for so long. I plan to get rid of them but doctor says I need to get closer to my goal weight first.
    3) a little bit of rosacea (adult acne) on my cheeks.
    4) sagging / loose skin around my belly button area.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    where do i start?

- my acne
    - my stomach
    - my calves
    - my big feet

Look, lady, try to focus on the positive. This seems to be a constant theme with you. Sorry, but it's getting on my nerves, and some tough love is in order...

If that's you in the profile pic, you look good. I was expecting an ogre the way you constantly denigrate yourself. Quite the opposite. I don't understand why you're so down on yourself. But I do know this attitude is the root of your problems now with the opposite sex. Your life is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Snap out of it!!!!

You need to build confidence. Do you lift weights? I know this sounds strange, but lots of the ladies here who lift strike me as super confident (and I can't help but add: super sexy). Plus, when you do it correctly (heavy weights, low repetitions), you will see constant progress. Not just on your body - that too! - but in adding weight each week to the bar. Get it? You're succeeding, you're improving, you're taking control of the situation. Nobody can take that away from you. It's a number, it's objective reality, not the constant subjective negative BS you subject yourself to.

Plus, when you're with your supposedly prettier girlfriends at the bar, in the back of your mind you'll be thinking, "OK, nice skin, sweetheart, but I could bench press you on a bad day." Men will notice this subtle shift in your attitude, trust me.

Stop whining on this site and get to a gym. Educate yourself on lifting heavy, and go to it. More posts about your latest squat record, fewer posts about how nobody wants to date you.

It's time to grow up and take control of your life. Building confidence is THE critical step for you.

--P
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    where do i start?

- my acne
    - my stomach
    - my calves
    - my big feet

Look, lady, try to focus on the positive. This seems to be a constant theme with you. Sorry, but it's getting on my nerves, and some tough love is in order...

If that's you in the profile pic, you look good. I was expecting an ogre the way you constantly denigrate yourself. Quite the opposite. I don't understand why you're so down on yourself. But I do know this attitude is the root of your problems now with the opposite sex. Your life is becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Snap out of it!!!!

You need to build confidence. Do you lift weights? I know this sounds strange, but lots of the ladies here who lift strike me as super confident (and I can't help but add: super sexy). Plus, when you do it correctly (heavy weights, low repetitions), you will see constant progress. Not just on your body - that too! - but in adding weight each week to the bar. Get it? You're succeeding, you're improving, you're taking control of the situation. Nobody can take that away from you. It's a number, it's objective reality, not the constant subjective negative BS you subject yourself to.

Plus, when you're with your supposedly prettier girlfriends at the bar, in the back of your mind you'll be thinking, "OK, nice skin, sweetheart, but I could bench press you on a bad day." Men will notice this subtle shift in your attitude, trust me.

Stop whining on this site and get to a gym. Educate yourself on lifting heavy, and go to it. More posts about your latest squat record, fewer posts about how nobody wants to date you.

It's time to grow up and take control of your life. Building confidence is THE critical step for you.

--P

P I agree with you to a point but this whole post is about things we don't like about ourselves so don't get mad at her for picking some of the things she doesn't like about herself and posting them.
  • nightsrainfall
    nightsrainfall Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This ^

Plus I my face red really easily.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    P I agree with you to a point but this whole post is about things we don't like about ourselves so don't get mad at her for picking some of the things she doesn't like about herself and posting them.

I'm not mad at her. And yes, this thread is about our negatives, but it seems her self-confidence is an issue in just about every thread. I'm just trying to offer some practical solutions out of this.

--P
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    Although by the time she sees that, I'm pretty much home free, if you know what I mean... :-)

:laugh:
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have psoriasis and I get it pretty bad on my elbows and random spots all over my body. Most of them are pretty small but I feel self-conscious about it. I used to always wear long sleeves and pants but I am at the point where I just say eff it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    My belly
    My bald spot
    I also have a weird skin condition called Keratosis pilaris, it's not serious, it just makes me look like I have goosebumps on certain areas of my body.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options

I also have a weird skin condition called Keratosis pilaris, it's not serious, it just makes me look like I have goosebumps on certain areas of my body.

I have this too on my arms. Used to just be on the backs of them, but now it is on the front, too (just on upper arms), so probably more noticeable than before. Mine mostly pass as freckles.
  • porcelain_doll
    Options
    I have psoriasis and I get it pretty bad on my elbows and random spots all over my body. Most of them are pretty small but I feel self-conscious about it. I used to always wear long sleeves and pants but I am at the point where I just say eff it.

My brother used to get it pretty bad all over his body (even on his head), and I think going to the tanning booth was what helped him the most. Have you tried that?
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

I have this too on my arms. Used to just be on the backs of them, but now it is on the front, too (just on upper arms), so probably more noticeable than before. Mine mostly pass as freckles.
    Mine is all over. It's not as noticeable when I get tan but it's still there it's the worst on my thighs because they're always so white.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Me too, but I'm nowhere near as self-conscious about it now as I was in my teens and early twenties. For me, the not-at-all-flat tummy that is more obvious when I sit down. Good motivation/reminder to sit straight and not slouch, though, and it is getting smaller/more easily disguised :happy:

In terms of physical self-confidence, I think the thing that has helped me most is realising how little I really notice in the specific about other people's bodies/physical imperfections unless they're really very obvious, in most normal situations. I assume that if I'm not noticing theirs, they're probably not noticing mine either!