Exercise Ideas!

Options
Phoenix212
Phoenix212 Posts: 54 Member
I saw the "Introduce Yourself" topic veer this way so I decided to jump on that and make it its own topic! I'm a big fan of mixing it up, and I'm also a big fan of sports because I'm really competitive and just get into the game and don't pay attention to how much I'm running around. I lost a lot of weight before doing Insanity, and honestly, I really don't think it's as crazy as everyone makes it seem. I mean, it's a really hard workout if you don't take breaks, but I think everyone can do it at their own pace and it sort of tailors itself to your fitness level. Interval training with strength and tons of cardio, plus GREAT aerobic ab work. For everyone looking to get really fit stomachs or thighs, I highly recommend it. It's also the only workout I've ever managed to develop toned arms with too, and that's saying a lot for me.

Replies

• tstews
    tstews Posts: 8
    Options
    for weights I like to lift low reps heavier weight but with back issues that is going to have to be on hold until I'm not having so many issues. I will be starting weights up some next week, but it won't be heavy. have to be careful not to overdo it, that's for sure.

for cardio I also like a variation. I have to have some choices. at home right now I have a treadmill, elliptical and wii. I played just dance last night for about 30 min and was SWEATY. (had the house to myself so I could look like a fool being the lousy dancer and uncoordinated that I am for only my dogs to see, lol). I just had my yearly doc appointment and he actually for the last few years has suggested dancing. no need for any special equipment. turn on some music and MOVE! I also have some dvd's or can stream netflix if I want to do other workouts other than the above. another great one my husband and I used to do together was raquetball. we had SO much fun even though we weren't very good.
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    At the moment I am absolutely LOVING strength training with free weights (so much better than using the machines!) as I really really feel the burn! My trainer incorporates more than two muscle groups in every move & it definitely makes sure my heartrate is up nice and high!
    eg/ Squats with a lift using dumbbells, Situps on fitballs, Step ups with dumbbells, planks, Bent rows

Although I also can't help but do a brisk walk on the Treadmill pushing it up & up as time goes on until it's time to cool down and stretch- you can't think if you push it hard enough, wish is fantastic after work!
  • tstews
    tstews Posts: 8
    Options
    Everything2Los: I do similar. I used to do machines, but gradually switched to mostly free weights when I had a fitness coach (on line, but she set up a personal routine written specifically for me about every 5 weeks or so). anyway, my husband and I bought a weight bench and free weights and later dropped the gym membership so since then when I am working out (I have periods of not doing so well at that *blush*) I am solely free weights and cardio. I also do bent over rows, squats I have to be careful because they tend to exasperate my back issues so right now, I'm trying to do them again but only using body weight and will add in weights gradually again. I love strength training more than cardio when my back is behaving and I can lift how I want. right now I have to lift so much less weights than I prefer (I used to lift heavy but they were short workouts. LOVED it). I hope I can get back to that type of workout again some day.