Tips for helping adults become comfortable in the water.

Options
JESSJESJ
JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
Hello,

This question is not directly related to swimming for fitness, but more about how to get comfortable in the water generally. I've had a few people in the past year ask me for tips on this - I'd like to know what tips others would give to those who are true newbies.

My main pieces of advice were to just get in the water, get in the water frequently, relax and not panic, and take lessons if possible.

Thanks,

Replies

• alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think there are many levels of phobia related to water and swimming so it's hard to provide blanket advice. But I had a friend who was in her mid-30s and could not swim and was very self-conscious of the fact. Her biggest concern was her worry that everybody would be looking at her as she tried to learn to swim at her age (she wasn't phobic of water but was afraid to learn to swim).

So, I signed the both of us up for a water aerobics class at a local pool (I was a lifeguard growing up and have maintained my Red Cross certification so I was confident that she wouldn't encounter any trouble). The class was held at the shallow end (so her feet were always comfortably on the pool floor) and we were just two women of many in the class (nobody looking at us). Over the course of several weeks, her comfort level with being in a pool grew tremendously and she really enjoyed the social aspect of the group. She found out that a few other women were "weak" swimmers or had limited swimming experience, so they all signed up for lessons together.

She later told me that if it wasn't for the group experience, she wouldn't have dreamed of taking lessons.

I don't know of this helps or not. As a former swim instructor, I know that the root of the phobia is really key. A person who has had a traumatic childhood (or adulthood) experience with water/swimming will require a much different approach than someone who just grew up without needing to know how to swim.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks, for the info.

The people I'm referring to are co-workers of mine. It seems more of a lack of opportunity to learn to swim growing up, cultural issues etc. rather than a phobia of the water itself / traumatic event etc. They have both said, they enjoy being in the shallow end, but get nervous in deeper water. I've actually encouraged them both to take lessons - the water aerobics idea is a good one.

Thanks!
  • rmkb
    rmkb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Melon Dash has written a wonderful book "Conquer Your Fear of Water". The website with information about the Miracle Swimming Institute is: http://www.conquerfear.com/

I have had a life-long (50+ years) fear of water. After reading her book and taking a class from licensed instructors of her method, I am now learning to swim with absolutely no fear. It works!