Hello

Options
Hi,

I just joined the group - I see the discussions have been a bit quiet recently. I have just started taking Alli, (OTC) I've kind of hit desperation point and am using it as a willpower booster. I'm working on the theory that if I have to avoid the treatment effects I will be more likely to stick to my eating plan.

I have looked on a number of forums and most of the comments about Alli tend to be negative, but they also seem to be 'friend of a friend' rather than first hand testimonials so I'd love to hear how others are actually getting along taking it.

Replies

• gobunkos
    gobunkos Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You're right about discussions being quiet and mostly negative when looking at other threads about Alli. I bought a refill bottle of Alli last January from Costco. I then read the brochure that came with it and found that the main thing is to change your eating habits and exercise. When it indicated that I needed to log everything I eat, I searched the web and luckily found this site, which is probably the best thing for my lifestyle change. Logging everything you eat opens ones eyes where we eat much more than we realize. I have been pleased with my results and if Alli helped in any way then I am okay with the investment. I didn't have the TEs reported by others where they were uncontrollable. I did change my diet and limited my fat and calories (I already have limited my cholesterol for several years), and started to exercise (mainly playing golf, walking and riding a stationary bike). During this time I have eaten more than my calorie limit many times, but it seems that the following days can be used to make up for this. Let me know if you have any specific questions about my experience with Alli. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ShellyPop
    ShellyPop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hey :) ive been on the orlistat/xenical prescription for 2 weeks now and i have lost 10lbs with hardly any bad side effects :) It really does work if taken carefully :D
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options

After my first week I've found no TE's, so fingers crossed it stays that way. I've only lost half a pound this week but when I've started diets before I seem to take a week or so before I really start to see any loss so I'm quite happy with that as a start.

I know exactly what you mean about logging what you eat, Gobunkos. I find that as long as I am honest with myself then I can get the weight off but really do need to log everything or I 'forget' about the sliver of ice cream or the chocolate bar I finished because one of the kids didn't like it.

I haven't started an exercise programme yet but have made a commitment to start pilates and yoga as soon as the kids are back in school. At least that will start toning me up, if not burning some extra calories.
  • kimberley_1
    kimberley_1 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thats just what i thought ScottyLikesCa thats why i made this group. but just as i made it there was a world wide shortage of Orlistat and now about 8 months later its finally came back.

you can only get it prescribed for one year at the docs in the uk and i had about 2 or 3 months left and i wasn't prepared to stop at all and put some weight back on but not all.

there is a lot of bad stories about this drug but if people take this and eat how they normally would by getting takeaways and junk food there would definitely be a bad reaction lol in that way it definitely helps you to eat the right foods.

but i was on it nearly a year and didn't have any accidents or were nappies LOL

good luck to all the new people taking Orlistat :D