What are/were your maintenance cals for 1st trimester?

Options
cakesmooth
cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
Mfp listed my maintenance cals as 2k. I'm still overweight and feel like its a lot. Did you use mfp values or come up with your own?

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I continued to eat at a deficit for the first tri (MFP seeting -0.5 pound per week)

It gave me 1800 calories and I ate all of my exercise calories back. I wasn't hungry and I felt great.

Now in the third tri I am eating at maintenance - just over 2000 calories.

I asked my doctor and dietitian for recommendations, and that's what they suggested. They also said to always eat if I felt hungry, though.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My maintenance was 1870, but I also worked out and didn't necessarily eat back all my workout calories. I ended losing 1.5 lbs after 2 weeks of vacation lol. But now in the second tri, my cals are 2120 since I read it was recommended to add 250 cals for 1/2 lb gain. We'll see where it gets me after a week; I may drop it back down as my previous cals kept me full and I'm having a hard time some days eating my full amount.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I ate around 2000, but it was what I was eating prior to maintain my weight. But in my first I was so hungry all the time, I went over most days, and still only gained 3-4lbs, then I added 250 in the 2nd and the weight started piling on around 20 weeks!
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was in the process of trying to drop some weight pre-pregnancy and I actually had a test done to figure out my BMR. It is 1570 which is about the same number that the Harris-Benedict equation gives me. That is my rock bottom sit in bed all day number. I multiplied that by a 1.2 activity factor (the absolute minimum because I have a desk job) to get 1885. That is my maintenance number without any exercise. This calculator gives me the same numbers: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm.

I exercise daily though. I wear a heart rate monitor that calculates my calorie burn so I use those numbers to get my final calorie daily goal. I eat back my exercise calories. On my running days, it is usually hard to do this because it pushes me up to the 2500 range. On my non-running CrossFit days, though, I burn less calories, so I eat a little more than my allotted amount. In the end, I have been averaging 2100-2300 calories a day. I will add in the proper number of additional calories 2nd/3rd trimesters.

My weight has stayed the same so far but at 6w even it is a little early to proclaim success! :)
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My calories are set for 2500 and I am 16 weeks...have been eating more, though, bc I've been so hungry!
  • lovethyneighbor
    lovethyneighbor Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I talked to my doctor about me being overweight. I asked her if it would be okay to stay at 1600 calories. She said definitely until the baby reaches 1-2 pounds. By keeping up with my babies weekly progress online, I waited until she was between 1-2 pounds (which was at 5 1/2 months) before upping my calories. Even when increasing, I only increased up to 2000 calories. Next trimester I will increase to 2150 calories. So far I have been able to maintain my weight and only gain 3 pounds total for the pregnancy. If you are trying to lose, the 1st trimester and beginning of the 2nd will be the best opportunity you will have. After that, fatigue will set in and it gets to be a little more difficult to make yourself do anything. :smile: If you're not sure about your calories, talk to your doctor and see what they are comfortable with you doing. Good luck!
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! Thank you for all your comments. I've decreased down to 1750, will eat most (if not all) excercise cals, and will eat when I'm hungry. I'm only 5 weeks but have known about the pregnancy for 2 and hopefully I haven't gained already.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think my maintenance cals for 1st trimester were about 1500 (too long ago to remember now!) and in the 2nd tri when I updated my weight it put me up to 1890 for maintenance. I've just entered the 3rd tri but have been on vacation and not logging/weighing in for almost two weeks, so not sure yet what I'll do for the rest of the pregnancy. I was at or just over my daily calories for most of the 2nd tri and I gained weight like nobody's business, even though I was set to maintain. :grumble: Luckily I have very kind friends and family who swear I don't look like I've already gained about 25lbs!

When I got pregnant I weighed 139lbs at 5'9", and I was using "sedentary" as I have a desk job, so it kept my calories low. Also, I ALWAYS eat my exercise calories (or most of them) because I'll wake up starving in the middle of the night if I don't. Aside from getting up to pee 3x a night, nothing is more annoying than waking up hungry enough to trek to the kitchen for a 3am snack! :laugh:
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

When I got pregnant I weighed 139lbs at 5'9", and I was using "sedentary" as I have a desk job, so it kept my calories low. Also, I ALWAYS eat my exercise calories (or most of them) because I'll wake up starving in the middle of the night if I don't. Aside from getting up to pee 3x a night, nothing is more annoying than waking up hungry enough to trek to the kitchen for a 3am snack! :laugh:

I know, that happened to me last night, at 4am I had to grab a granola bar because I was so hungry I couldn't sleep! And that was after only a 50 calorie deficit!