A few questions...

Options
tata2g3
tata2g3 Posts: 90 Member
I'm still thinking about having the surgery but what happens after you reach your healthy weight? Do you have the band/staples/etc. removed? Which, in your opinion, is the best method? I'm scared to have certain surgeries but I haven't spoken with a doctor or anyone that has had the surgery to have these questions answered.

Replies

• Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    Hello. I would start with a consult with a bariatric surgeon. That way you will be better able to make well informed decision. I had RNY gastric bypass. There is nothing to be removed. I work everyday to get in enough protein and water. I take my vitamins every and I mean every day. Also learning Better eating habits and makeing sure that I stay active daily. I honestly did not expect to have to work as hard after my surgery to get the weight off. Now I have to work at keeping it off and staying healthy. I am very happy with my decision. BTW My surgeon and his staff are the best. Firm, Available, and treats me individually. That really makes a difference. Good luck!
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The clinic I used for my RNY holds an informational meeting a few times a month that is open to the public. I felt anonymous as I listened to the information that described the different procedures, and I listened to testimonials from their patients who had had the surgeries. It was a great way to learn without any personal commitment back when I still had no idea what I wanted to do. You could check around your area to see if anyone holds these types of meetings.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The gastric bypass (RNY), sleeve and band are the most common, no surgeon uses staples anymore they discovered it wasn't effective. Once you hit goal weight the goal changes to find the right amount to eat to maintain but nothing is removed, for the band that may require an adjustment but adjustments are par the course with the band. Which procedure is best depends on your needs which means how much weight you have to lose and how many other health complications you already suffer from. As others have suggested finding a surgeon in your area and attending one of the information seminars is a really good first step even if you are not looking to make a commitment today. I went to 3 different surgeons seminars the first over a year before I made up my mind; in part because I had a lot of questions and also because once I felt that was the direction I wanted to go I needed to find a surgeon that I felt comfortable with and usually you get to meet several of the program staff at those meetings.
  • tata2g3
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll look around here for some surgeons.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    The gastric bypass (RNY), sleeve and band are the most common, no surgeon uses staples anymore they discovered it wasn't effective.

Yes, staples are used in RNY. They are not removed after you get to your goal weight. Generally the lap band is not removed, either. We are not "cured" when we get to goal. Staying at goal is the hard part. Do more research before making any decision.

I had my RNY in 2008. It was the right choice for me.
  • tata2g3
    Options
    Does anyone have a problem with excess skin? Did you have to get it surgically removed?
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a problem with excess skin? Did you have to get it surgically removed?

I'd guess 80% of us end up with a lot of excess skin. I had an arm lift, lower body lift, and breast lift. I could use a thigh lift, but will probably never get it done. I'm happy with my body now as-is.
  • tata2g3
    Options
    Ok thanks for the info!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You might want to talk first with your primary care physician (Family doctor). (In Canada we need to be refered by our Primary Care Physician). S/He can talk to you about what is required and there is some blood work to be done, which rules out issues with thyroid and other organs/glands which, if out of balance could be causing your weight problems. S/He can also recommend a surgeon to see, whether you need a referal or not, and hopefully you then don't end up at a clinic that is just after your money! There are good clinics that will give you all the support you need and others (from what I understand) that are pushing patients through as fast as they can! Good Luck; do your research; read (I highly recommend "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery"; and try to find patients you can talk to about the various options... listen to the good and the bad. I spoke with one woman who had an absolutely dreadful experience, but still she said it was worth it.

Again, good luck!
  • maylene1853
    Options

i was fairly lucky as most of my skin shrunk back even tho i lost 120 pounds. the little bit i have does not qualify me for insurance covered surgery however i am trying to save the money to get it anyways. vanity you know, lol.

if i do pay out of pocket it will be only for the skin around my tummy so maybe a tummy tuck. oh and some boobs. i went from d's to barely a b. they just disappeared lol.

i will try to upload a pic....
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are going to have excess skin, mostly because your skin will not rkeep up to the weightloss. Whether or not you have to have surgery will depend on a number of things, such as your age... younger people have more elastin in their skin and will eventually "snap" back. I've lost about half of the weight I hope to lose and am surprised how well my skin has reacted, and I am 52. It is suggested that you wait at least 18 mos after you have reached your goal weight before considering plastics, this gives your skin time to settle in to the new body!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The gastric bypass (RNY), sleeve and band are the most common, no surgeon uses staples anymore they discovered it wasn't effective.

Yes, staples are used in RNY. They are not removed after you get to your goal weight. Generally the lap band is not removed, either. We are not "cured" when we get to goal. Staying at goal is the hard part. Do more research before making any decision.

I had my RNY in 2008. It was the right choice for me.

Sorry for any confusion, I was referring to stomach stapling. The technique where they just stapled half your stomach without cutting to make a smaller pouch, they stopped doing it because they learned that the staples were not holding and there wasn't anything to stop people from stretching the open side quickly. I was not referring to staples being used in place of sutures.
  • Gahummingbyrd
    Options
    There's some loose skin but it is not that bad. I can wear short sleeved tops and shorts and feel comfortable. My tummy's not too bad either. Spanx works very well. So, no plans for cosmetic surgery at the moment.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It should be mentioned that with the RNY bypass, a large portion of your stomach is permanently separated from what becomes your new stomach (also referred to as pouch) this is not reversible. I had this done in February and have NEVER been so happy!!! Best decision ever!! You really learn to adapt to eating, and although I am still in the losing phase I get so much inspiration from people like Laura that continue to work hard to maintain her fabulous figure!!
  • sandieashing
    sandieashing Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Whilst looking for information I was lucky enough to find out about a hypnotic gastric band. This fools your mind and body into thinking its had the real surgery performed, (but without ever under going the knife) and there is nothing actually there to take out once your goal weight is reached, you go for a mental adjustment, as the whole process is designed to teach you to "eat mindfully" loose the weight, and feel fantastic about your body. Once I realised this option was available to me, this was my natural choice. I have had the band now for 4 wks, have lost 6kg, never feel hungry and been on a mental high. Dropped a dress size and buzzing every time I bump into someone I know, they tell me how wonderful I am looking. All of the benefits and none of the mean side effects that have been mentioned within this group.
  • KSCarnivore
    Options
    I have a band. The benefits of the band are that they are adjustable and reversible. Unlike the bypass, you won't be puking up your food if you eat the "wrong" things. However, you may get food stuck... which in extreme cases may require the doctor to unfill your band so the food can pass through. One drawback to the band is that weight loss is slower with a band than with bypass or sleeve. Further, the band may require a half dozen fills and adjustments over the first year and annual checkups. Because of this, the band is not the best choice for someone who is self-pay vs. insurance. A band can slip in the future which may require surgery to correct. Band erosion is less common with newer bands than a decade ago but can occur. The band is supposed to be a somewhat easier recovery. Mine was an outpatient procedure whereas a sleeve or bypass would have required an overnight stay in the hospital.

The band will force you to slow down and chew your food thoroughly. It may make some foods that you'd previously like less tolerable. But, your tastes will change and habits will adapt. I think this could be said for any of the surgical options.

You may have heard of people having their band removed. Generally, these are folks who haven't adapted well to the band or are having problems such as slippage and erosion. If a band is removed, it isn't uncommon to have a bypass or sleeve at the same time of the removal.

It was the preference of my family doctor that I have a band and not consider the other options, but then I was only at a 35% BMI. I asked my surgeon which of the three procedures he would have if it were him and he said sleeve.

Make no mistake about it, any of these procedures will require you to work at weight loss. You'll still have to monitor your food intake and exercise. I am using MFP to record my food intake at about 1200 calories per day and I walk 4-5 miles a day. The good news is that I woke up and weighed in this morning at 175! Woo hoo! I feel like a million bucks.

Your bariatric surgeon and insurance company may require you to go through an extensive nutrition and education program. Embrace this time. Mine lasted six months and required a sleep study, psychological testing and counseling and lots of other medical tests. I used that time to lose about 35 lbs before surgery and actually had a BMI below 30 when I followed through and had the surgery. Many people would question why I still wanted the surgery. But, I've roller coaster dieted so many times in my life that I felt like the band would help me to keep the weight off this time. The education program that I attended had 4 weekly classes that were dedicated just to the band. Had I wanted to, I could have taken the other class on sleeve / bypass and learned more about those options before going under the knife.

My surgery was 7 weeks ago and I had my first fill 8 days ago. I've had some difficulty this week adjusting to the restriction as I have a habit of eating too fast and not chewing thoroughly. But, my band is training me to slow down. I've made it through 48 hours now without food getting stuck, so I think the worst is behind me and I have no regrets.
  • KSCarnivore
    Options
    By the way, you can find a lot of information on lapbands at LapBandTalk.com There are probably online support communities for sleeves and bypasses too where you could ask questions and learn more. Good luck!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you have a primary treating doctor that you can or have been talking to about the options and how well suited it is for you. If you decide to look into it further, I would ask for their suggestion on where to go. Also, consider your insurance. What hospitals are in your plan and how much coverage is available to you. For instance an In-Network hospital may provide 100% coverage while an Out Of Network hospital may only offer 80% coverage, etc. Most major hospitals these days have a Bariatric Center that deals specifically with bariatric surgeries and can provide what is recommended for you.