My best reason for eating Paleo

Options
Morning all. I have found THE best reason [for me] ever for eating Paleo/Primal and sticking to it. We had a baby shower for one of the docs at work on Tuesday and our annual picnic on Wednesday, and I ate some SAD food as an experiment of sorts. I was curious to see how re-exposure would affect me after avoiding that stuff for so long. I have my answer.

I. Feel. AWFUL. Massive headache that won't go away, nausea, sore muscles/joints, sore guts, grogginess, nearly unbearable sinus pressure. No energy at all. I feel like I have the worst hangover of my life, and it's lasted for two days and counting. I imagine all those years feeling poorly every few days or so could be attributed to the junk I was eating and I was simply accustomed to feeling that way. Food that is even mildly sweet makes me feel like I'm going to vomit. Next time my GI doc rolls his eyes at me for saying I'm eating no grains because it makes me feel better, I will report the results of my experiment to him.

I need a steak and I NEED IT NOW.

Replies

• Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! Go Paleo/Primal!!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Steak it is... I'm in!
  • GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    By nature, people seek pleasure and avoid pain. I eat Primal to avoid pain and discomfort, and it's an added benefit that Primal food is super yummy!!

There have been occassions where I've accidentally eaten something with wheat in it (alfredo sauce thickened with flour, for example) and paid the price.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Sigh... that was unfortunately my honeymoon-- had a slice of normal chocolate cake (we had 5 different cakes, and we cut into a flourless dark chocolate one, but I figured a little of the normal cake would be fine, seeing as how I was okay from the roll earlier in the day and my father-in-law's homemade bread at the rehearsal dinner the night before... sigh) and spent the next day in serious pain, bad enough to entirely miss a very special dinner (my husband at least got to enjoy it in our hotel room).

On the plus side, Benadryl helps a little (a lesson from the chef's wife, who has celiac disease), and they made me honey lemon ginger tea to help settle my stomach. But I learned my lesson.

As an aside, I stopped seeing my GI doc after he said food has nothing to do with my IBS. Ya.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is more of a question - please don't take this as a criticism. BUT... I want to start Paleo. At least, I think I do. Thing is, I read an awful lot of posts around the internet like the ones above. I worry that if I "adjust" to a paleo diet, then a slip will cause me to have all kinds of problems that I don't experience now - like I will develop sensitivities instead of get stronger. Does that make sense?

Any thoughts on this?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    This is more of a question - please don't take this as a criticism. BUT... I want to start Paleo. At least, I think I do. Thing is, I read an awful lot of posts around the internet like the ones above. I worry that if I "adjust" to a paleo diet, then a slip will cause me to have all kinds of problems that I don't experience now - like I will develop sensitivities instead of get stronger. Does that make sense?

Any thoughts on this?

It's not that anybody is developing sensitivites. The sensitivity is already there. But your body builds up defenses when you're having the offending food often. Perhaps you'll develop a thick coat of mucus in your intestines to prevent absorption of the food that makes you sick (yummay!), which also prevents proper absorption of nutrients from the rest of what you eat, or perhaps your symptoms will manifest in an increase in seasonal allergy symptoms since your body is so busy working overtime on fighting off the food you're eating. When these things happen, it's a sign that you should have been avoiding those foods all along, not that suddenly you're sensitive to it when you used to be ok with it.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    This ^
    And, you'll be treating your gut well for the majority of the time, which will benefit you more in the long-run. You won't miss the SAD stuff.

I've been Primal for a month, and I haven't done much cheating. I've eaten one small ice cream cone, and I'm sure there's been some gluten, soy, or bad oils in various sauces I couldn't control in some restaurant meals. But, I didn't have any sensitivities before, and I don't expect to have any when I do decide to eat a SAD meal or three. I do expect to gain weight back if I eat as many junk carbs as I did before (which was A LOT).
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Any thoughts on this?
    Primal/Paleo is a Lifestyle, once you adapt into it you will be fine.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    eating paleo has made more of my old food allergies go away - so now I have more i can eat than less. Plus I don't get intestinal pain every other day.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Any thoughts on this?

You don't develop sensitivities; in fact your body is already adapting to a SAD diet and you don't realize it because it's normal to you, and everyone else who eats that way. One of the things I noticed after a couple months was an *absence* of various things: no sore knees and hips, acne and other skin issues cleared up, chest & sinus congestion gone (didn't even realize that was an issue it was so normal), energy a constant, and even now over a year later, other things I accepted as normal (I'm in my late 50s so like most of my peers expected to feel certain symptoms attributed to aging--after all I'm a grandma) are gone: can see better at night, gums are no longer inflamed (have also changed my dental routine to be more natural), headaches are rare (had one after drinking too much celebratory refreshment :-) ), haven't had a cold in 15 months). This is all over and above the weight loss, and belly bloat disappearing.

Everyone I know who eats a SAD diet EXPECTS to get a belly, and be tired achey when they get older. Well, um, no. As it turns out, that is not normal. It's also not normal if one's body is responding with inflammation, skin issues, or an over stimulated immune system that presents with everything from hair loss to arthritis to chronic fatigue, gut issues, or any one of a variety of autoimmune reactions.

If a person has a cocaine addiction, goes through withdrawal and a few months later experiences a terrible reaction when deciding to have 'just a bit' ... is the solution to go back to using cocaine all the time again? Was the problem the cocaine or the no-cocaine?
  • KristysGonnaGetFit
    KristysGonnaGetFit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your "experiment" as I also treated myself to a warm cinamon roll that was brought in to our office by a pharmaceutical rep on Wednesday... only had about 1/2 of a roll. Felt miserable that afternoon, tired and started craving more sweet treats so ate more than normal (of good food the rest of the day), naueseous that night and woke up yesterday and this morning with incredible headache that took a bit to go away. That's the only thing in my diet I can attribute it to since I've drinken enough water and no other changes to my normal Primal/Paleo diet.

I can't say that I won't do it again.... but will do it KNOWING the consequences associated with it!

So, this morning, when another rep brought in breakfast croissant sandwhiches, I took half of one and only ate the ham and egg that was on the croissant and tossed that poison into the trash!! :-)
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    This is what happens to me when I go off paleo:

Grains: heartburn, bloating, gas, constipation, abdominal cramps & pain
    Dairy: Diarroeah, skin flare ups, asthma symptoms increase
    Sugar: Headaches, migranes

I had none of these symptoms before cutting these things out of my diet (or if I did i did'nt notice them, they were 'normal' for me). When I'm paleo I have a flat stomach and feel great, 'clean'.
  • Devi_Diva
    Devi_Diva Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! Great feed back and food for thought.