New to My Fitness Pal

Options
I'm new to My Fitness Pal so I searched through the groups looking for one with members 65 or older. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one so I started this one.

As we get older our metabolism changes and so do our joints and muscles making exercise more difficult for some of us. My doctor tells me dieting is only 30% of what we "DO" and 70% of what we "EAT". Hope so. :D

I "want" to lose at least 25 pounds, but I "need" to lose about 75 pounds. I'm just trying to be realistic. I don't exercise much -- I have some minor physical limitations that can also cause pain and fatigue if I do too much. I just moved into a new apartment complex and there's a small fitness center here so I'm going to try to exercise as I can 2-3-4 times/week.

So here I am, 65 and off on a new "adventure". Please join me and sure your journey.

Replies

• leapinglinda
    Options
    I'm new don't know where to start
  • donjer46
    Options
    I just recently joined My Fitness Pal, too. Like you, I am finding it is increasingly difficult to lose weight. I have some issues with my knees and my back, so I'm trying walking and a self-exercise class at a nearby Y. I'd like to lose 50 lbs, but I don't think that's realistic, but I'd be happy with 25. I just don't want any further sagging of skin. At 66, it's bad enough. Thanks for starting a group for our age group.
  • MABfit01
    MABfit01 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm 69 and beating the H___ out of 70. Since August1 I have lost 8 lbs, just starting. Love this site. I am also swimming 60 mi,n 4/5 times a week. Goal is 100 lbs. Arthritis, joints, HBP are issues One mouthful at a time! Give yourself the Gift of Good Health!:smile:
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP all you new peeps. I was on MFP for three months, lost almost 30 lbs, went off for 6 months and gained 25 back, and rejoined again in June and have lost another 14 lbs. It works IF you log everything you put in your mouth. This lets you know what you are actually consuming as well as helping to keep you honest. It really helps if you are on a restricted diet as I am. You can customize your macros (fat, protein, carbs) as well as sodium, sugar, etc) to what you doctor may have set for you.

From what I understand, exercise is a lot less than 30%. Cardio is to help your heart and lungs, Weight/resistance training is for your muscles, bones and metabolism.

Eating less calories than what you have been is for losing weight.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you burn 10 calories a minute/600 calories an hour, it will take 5.83 hours to lose one pound, IF you do not increase calories. That’s 1.17 hours of exercise a day, five days a week, maintaining 10 calories burned a minute, no slowing down. The average person burns between 5 and 7 calories a minute. On a good day, if I'm listening to Little Richard and trying to keep up with the beat, I can burn 10 calories per minute. Today was lower as I am on a new Beta Blocker and I seem to be more sluggish.

If you have been eating 3000 calories a day and reduce it to 1800 (I’m a guy), you are eating at a 1200 calorie a day deficit or 8400 calories a week for, potentially, 2.4 pounds of fat removed from your body, all other things being equal.

I’ve been a fat sloth for decades but now I’m trying to get healthy (The Bride just retired, 3 grandsons). I am on an 1800 calorie/day, low sodium (high blood pressure), low carb (Type 2 Diabetes) diet and do 35 minutes of cardio on a seated elliptical (knee replacement)/5 days a week, and 45 minutes of resistance training/2 days a week.

After years of trying everything else, this seems to be working for me.

Oh, I’m turning 68 in 6 days.
  • kaspkav
    kaspkav Posts: 6
    Options
    I am new to the site too. I won't be 65 until 20 November this year so I hope that I can join this group. I'm not sure about the lovin' it part though. I am feeling my blows as they say - a lifetime of gaining weight until I reached 265 pounds last year and could scarcely move has worn me down.

I retired last year from my job in my homeland of Scotland and came to live with my daughter here in Bermuda at that weight - lost 11 pounds by myself - joined a UK weight loss site in mid March and have lost another 19 pounds since then. But their database didn't have very many of the US branded foods that are mostly on sale in Bermuda so I spent far too much time adding them almost daily so decided to try and find another site with US products. And here I am on this site.

Looking forward to supporting those in this group and being supported too.
  • CRody44
    Options
    kaspkav,
    Lose the weight, do some exercise and you will feel much better. I feel better than I have in decades, both physically and mentally, I no longer hate myself for my overindulgences, because I seldom overindulge any more, and if I do, it’s usually just eating too much healthy food. Rarely, do I eat crap anymore.
  • kaspkav
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do feel a whole lot better for losing the 30 pounds already. Still have a long way to go but I know I will feel better generally as the weight goes down. And I have started exercise since March but have to take it easy because of my knee. But I am sure that too will improve.
  • JudyKB41
    JudyKB41 Posts: 15
    Options
    So happy to find this board. Need to lose weight but feel out of place with the younger ladies. I am 71 Y/O. Having minor problems with knees but otherwise pretty healthy. I just want to be at a healthy weight and able to do whatever I want. Have a disabled husband and know the time will come that will require some muscle to help him.

I started tracking my food yesterday and it was much easier that I thought it would be.Now, just have to figure out an exercise program (UGH) but will find something. Have about 50 pounds to lose and know I will feel so much better.
  • CRody44
    Options
    I have had knee replacement and my Dr. says to go easy on it. I do the seated elliptical for 35045 minutes a day and haven't had any knee pain at all. My wife has a sensitive knee and does water aerobics. She burns more calories doing that than I do on the elliptical. I’m afraid to get in a pool in fear of Ahab harpooning me.
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Gagoo! I just joined myself and put out the question, "Are there any seniors out there?" and got a couple of replies, but I appreciate your starting the group. I actually won't be 65 until October, but I figured I was close enough... right?
  • kaspkav
    Options
    Welcome to the group JudyK and CoachJude. I know what you mean about the younger ladies JudyK - apart from anything else I feel I have had more years putting on the weight so probably longer to take it off. And CoachJude I too will not be 65 until November but fessed up right at the beginning. So far I haven't been asked to leave the group :smile:
  • schcr
    schcr Posts: 1
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Hi --

Just discovered this site here at work, and it looks like a good place for me. I will be 65 in December (I'm too young to be that old). :) I sit at the office all day, do a 4-hour commute each work day, and do bookkeeping for our hardware store in the evening and on weekends. Exercise and motivation are a big problem for me. Maybe you can help me. I am having the usual problems due to weight gain -- aches and pains and mental pains as well.

Any good ideas for me on how to get some exercise into my schedule?
  • kaspkav
    Options
    Hi schcr. I am not the one to give you any help with exercise as I struggle myself to do anything which burns a lot of calories. But just wanted to say that I will be 65 in November, CoachJude has posted that she will be 65 in October and you said you would be 65 in December. So lots of us in this group approximately the same age. I know what you mean about the aches and pains - after I came to Bermuda last year to live with my daughter I could hardly move - I was blaming the humidity which is in the 90s but to be honest I think a lifetime of increasing weight just finally caught up with me.

Hopefully someone else will have good ideas for you on the exercise front. I am presently 235 with a sore knee so all I manage is a swim most days in the pool in our rental house here in Bermuda. It's not a big pool so it's not lap type swimming. And I bought a treadmill for the house as the roads in Bermuda are very narrow and although people do walk/run on them I think it's a death wish myself. So when the weather gets too cold for the pool I will switch to the treadmill.

Love the food diary however for the calorie counting. Couldn't do it long term with just pen and paper and a calorie book.
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not quite 65, I am 63 but also was looking for a board with others my age. I have been doing WW since April and am down 26 lbs. I am finding exercise much more of a challenge and was struggling with the 26 Points they give me a day. I decided to convert to calories for a while. This is a great website and I hope to share and try to help others our age be able to succeed.
  • Desi1944
    Options
    I have just started setting the alarms on my watch for every hour in the work day (if I'm at home) and take a ten minute break in which I go down to the basement (2 flights) and get on the treadmill for 5 minutes...I think it will work. Plus I am applying for a new job that will keep me on my feet...need the exercise!
  • donjer46
    Options
    This is definitely a great web site; I'm always amazed at how many foods are listed, and putting in my own recipe for calculations is a great feature. Like so many of you, I've struggled with my weight nearly all my life, and it has taken its toll on my joints. Good health--just aches and pains in knees and back. Motivation for exercising is a constant struggle; it helps that I can do water exercises and walk on an indoor track at the Y, but it is a 25-min. drive to get there. It does help my back, however, so it is worth the time it takes to drive into town and do both. It also helps to know that there are others out there my age who are struggling, too. It does seem to be harder to lose it once we are older. It just doesn't come off as easily as it did, say 20 years ago, but it is worth it. I just want to be able to move more easily, and not feel pain each time I move. I think setting a clock for 10 min. of movement is a good idea. I believe I'll give that a try, too. Moving, whether it's walking or doing laundry or whatever, is always a good thing.
  • Yahweh1
    Yahweh1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A couple of hours ago I returned from a hilly and spectacularly scenic bicycle ride of 27 miles. I continually thank God every morning I am able get up and do something physical. It has been a long journey. Brain surgery 8 years ago, brain bleed in November last year and the discovery of a deep seated cavernoma in my brain to give me a triple between the ears. From not being able to walk a straight line because of the bleed and having to use a walker plus total bed rest of three weeks and 5 months of recovery with no resistance has been a very physically and emotionally painful time for me. Two wonderful children, six grandchildren, praying friends and my faith have kept me going. For those who suffer chronic pain my heart and prayers go out to you. I will be returning from vacation beginning September - please count me in. Turning 66 Sept.10.
  • JudeGilford
    Options
    Hi Gagoo1947 - Compelled to drop by and say hello because I'm a 1947 too. My birthday is in October. Welcome to myfitnesspal. Hope you love it as much as I (I'm a newbie too). What you're doing is the best thing one can do, and here you'll find all the tools and support you could want. I wish you the best!
  • JudeGilford
    Options
    Desi1944 - That is a GREAT plan! You go girl...
  • ccwilcox
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm new to fitness pal, and to this group. I'm hoping to connect with people who have found ways to counteract the slowing metabolism of people of a certain age. I'm having a hard time adjusting because I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted, and now I need to lose 25 pounds. Eeeek!