Maternity Leave- How many weeks are you taking?

Options
JLatham325
JLatham325 Posts: 105 Member
Ok so my office does not give “Maternity Leave”, we have to use our Short Term Disability. Which pays 60% of your gross pay, for 6 weeks, and does not kick in until the 8th consecutive day of absence (So I have to use up what little vacation days I have to fill that gap of pay).

My mother has offered to pay for me to take and additional 4 weeks off of work, by giving me money to cover my month’s worth of bills and expenses. The issue is that my bosses have already asked me to come back EARLIER than 6 weeks, and even asked me if I would consider working from home during my 6 weeks off (which I said no to both, especially since my short term dis. pay would be cut off is the insurance company found out I was working from home on my leave). So since they are already hassling me just about 6 weeks, I’m TERRIFIED to try to ask them if it’s ok if I take 10 weeks (6 weeks short term disability, plus 4 weeks funded by my mom). According to the FMLA, it would be illegal for them to fire me if I took up to 12 weeks of leave, but with the way that they have been acting towards me lately, I feel like I wouldn’t have a position to come back to if I took off 10 weeks.

But 6 weeks feels like NO TIME AT ALL to spend with my baby girl, as a FTM it’s going to take me awhile to learn how to take care of her, get a sleeping routine down, breastfeed, etc. (also my boss took 12 weeks off when she had her daughter but “that was ok because she had a c-section” and so far I’m “only having vaginal delivery)….

So I guess my topic is 2 questions:
1. How many weeks of leave are you taking?
2. How would you handle my situation?

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I may not be the best person to answer this. But my company did not offer Short term dis. so i cannot use that, they are also a small company an since there are only 15 employees they do not have to follow FMLA. I do not know what i am going to do since all work missed with be unpaid. Also i am having a really hard time dealing with the thought that someone else will be with my baby for most of the day. I would like to work part time and my be able to do that for my father in law ( i would do the bookkeeping) at his canvas company. I am also having a hard time dealing with this because this would mean that my fiance would have to pay for the majority of the household bills. (actually it may be all of it since i still have car payment and student loans to pay)

I have always pitied moms that needed to make the choice to work or not. I really feel that the govt should have some program for new moms. where they pay 6 weeks pay as long as you plan on going back to work. Kinda like short term dis that we dont have to pay for.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    My company does not offer paid materinty leave or disability, so all of my leave is unpaid.. We are trying to save up for a couple weeks, but that is all we can manage. I will have to go back to work after that, but at least I can take baby with me to work (even though not ideal), it is better than nothing.... At least until we put him in daycare.
  • flipchickmc
    flipchickmc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're covered under FMLA, then you are allowed to take those 12weeks off and your job is protected while you are on leave.

I'm going to take at least 10 weeks off and thinking about maybe even taking the full 12weeks. My employer offers 5 weeks maternity leave for a normal delivery and 8 weeks off for c-section. I will be having a repeat c-section. We have a 6 day waiting period where we have to use up all our available sick time first and then vacation time. After those 6 days, we are paid at 75% of our pay up to the 8 weeks (for c-sect). After that - any remaining time taken off must use vacation/sick time or be unpaid.

Last year - I took a total of 10 weeks off and did not get paid for the 2 additional weeks I took off.

Hope everything works out in your situation.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to take 100% paid leave for up to 3 months, but I will likely only take what I need to recover, bond with the baby, and get the baby on a regular schedule for sleeping, eating, and diaper changes. Going longer, though an option, will put me 3-6 months behind on finishing my dissertation, so I don't want to take too long. My work is very family-friendly so I will be able to bring him/her in with me to my office instead of doing daycare or a nanny as well.

I'm sorry that you're having such a tough situation with your maternity leave. I'd recommend, due to the financial strain, to take only the time you really need and get back as soon as you can. Unfortunately, we can't always plan that allotment of time to a T in advance.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous that you are being pressured into returning to work earlier than you would like. I totally understand moms that need to go back for financial reasons, but if you are entitled to a certain number of weeks at a pay rate you are comfortable with, there is no reason you shouldn't take them. You just had a friggin baby and caring for and bonding with your baby is a special time that you don't get back.

I'm in Canada so our benefits are different - I'm really lucky that I've got a full year off at roughly 60% of my salary. I've even banked enough "sick time" to take my last month of pregnancy off (full pay) if need be. I couldn't imagine only spending a few weeks with my baby.

Wishing you luck with this!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I agree that your employer should not be pressuring you like that...it is your decision! I would do what you feel comfortable with, and at least 6 weeks I feel is understandable, but if you can afford it, then I would take more. Unfortunately, I also work for a small company that does not off any type of short term disability, so it's all me. I've been trying to save and get ahead on some bills. I only have 1 1/2 of paid time and I think they will let me use sick days as well? My time depends on when I have my baby. I for sure am planning on taking off through the end of the year (due 11/14), but also may take the first week of January as I will have my new PTO by then. I decided that I need the time and am going to take it regardless. Even if I have to go into a little debt...which I'm really trying to avoid! Good luck to you.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are in a tough situation, but I think you should go with your gut - if it were me, I think I would take the 10 weeks and if my employer decided to fire me, I would fight back through FMLA.

I've been saving sick leave and vacation for years, so I will have just enough to take 12 weeks off. We don't have disability or any maternity benefits through my job other than being entitled to 12 weeks of leave without pay or using leave under FMLA. We waited to get pregnant until I had enough leave to take the time off I wanted - now I'll just need to save up time for another few years for baby #2!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    From my research, I second the FMLA giving you job protection for up to 12 weeks. Legally (as long as they fall within the requirements of company size and where those employees live/work) they can't replace you or lower your wage or position. They can move you, laterally, but you will have a job after 12 weeks leave.

My company doesn't offer any paid maternity leave, at all. But, I have to use any vacation or sick time before I can use the 12 weeks. I've been saving so I can pay things like student loans while I'm on leave, but I'm also looking into other jobs I can do from home, so I don't have to go back to working in an office.

I'm also sorry to hear about your tough situation. I wish we had it together enough to give maternity benefits like most other developed countries. US is just about the bottom of the list when it comes to living in a country that provides benefits to parents with babies.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Were I work, we're given 6 weeks maternity leave w/full pay. I haven't decided if I want to take extra time than that as the timing of the baby may dictate I can't. We have a big inspection coming up in April (baby is expected early Feb), so depending on when the baby finally comes and when in Apr they decide to have the week-long inspection (dates aren't set), I may not be able to take extra time until after the inspection is over. My husband works for the same company and he gets 8 days paternity leave which we haven't decided when he'll take that. We have decided it will be after the inlaws take their turns to come help then leave, but we may wait for the 6th week if I've got to go back for him to stay home with the baby for an extra week. Thankfully our work also offers daycare starting at 6 weeks old, so when we've got to come back we can bring our baby with us.
    From my research, I second the FMLA giving you job protection for up to 12 weeks. Legally (as long as they fall within the requirements of company size and where those employees live/work) they can't replace you or lower your wage or position. They can move you, laterally, but you will have a job after 12 weeks leave.
    Agreed. And if they don't keep your job, you can fight back under FMLA. If you're seriously considering taking 10 weeks off, just tactifully remind them (if they are indeed subject to FMLA) that they have a responsibility to allow you up to 12 weeks while protecting your job and you want to take more time than the 6 weeks, and if they feel it necessary to go against FMLA, you'll find a lawyer to dispute their actions (wording is so important so as to not burn bridges, cause if you go back you don't want to make enemies).
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    my job didn't have a maternity policy so being the first prego my boss agreed to giving me 6 weeks paid to stay home under the condition I'll be working from home and coming into the office once a week for a couple of hours, then I will be returning full-time with the baby for 12 weeks. I am the only person in the accounting department so if I'm on absolute leave than no bills would be paid and our 2012 tax returns won't be on time.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    my company does not offer maternity leave or disability and being the one with the bigger income I am not sure how much time I can take off- I am hoping for at least 6 weeks- my husband and I are putting as much money into savings as possible to cover all our bills the month that I am off.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am so pissed off by the way they handle maternity leave here. You're in a really tough position. Since they seem to be so hell-bent on you working from home, is it possible that you agree to do so, but with your full salary benefits?