on belts and overhead press

Options
taso42
taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
Recently got myself a belt (4", 10mm lever belt) and just breaking it in and getting the hang of it. Yesterday I did OHP with it for the first time. I found that when I press up, my core gets narrower so it's quite difficult to maintain pressure against the belt. I really had to focus hard on this on the last couple of reps (and perhaps this is part of the belt doing its job), but ideally it seems the belt should have been tighter. Just wondering, do those of you who use a belt make it tighter for OHP as compared to say Squats, or just try to find a happy compromise? If I made it one notch tighter, it would probably be ideal for pressing, but then probably too tight for squats. One annoyance here is that the lever is screwed in to the belt with 2 screws - not exactly something I want to be adjusting back and forth every couple of days.

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've never actually thought about this. The belt on OHP for me is more like a "reminder" not to lean backwards.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I make it pretty tight and brace myself by flexing. It puts pressure on my core against the belt
  • taso42
    Options
    So would you say you have it on tighter than you would with squats? This almost makes me wish I got the non-lever type belt so I could easily change tightness without whipping out a screwdriver.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I haven't used the belt on the overhead press as the bench I sit down on has back support. But I make it pretty tight on squats. ie... I have to unbuckle it fairly fast so I can breath 100%

The one I use now looks like this 5K35Fe5H93G53F53H8c6rfd3f8f040e6e14d2.jpg
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    why the tapered belt??

If/when I wear mine to press, I think I use the same loop as squats and just really push my stomach outward.
    The only time I wear it a notch bigger is when I deadlift..
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    why the tapered belt??

If/when I wear mine to press, I think I use the same loop as squats and just really push my stomach outward.
    The only time I wear it a notch bigger is when I deadlift..

I would prefer this type (I have one but it's too small hahaha) weight-lifting-belts2.jpg

I didn't know how heavy I was going to go so I didn't want to shell out for the serious one. as far as the tapered one, I waned one that was wide in back but didn't pinch in the stomach.
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Okay so an uninformed question -- but why wear a belt at all? I don't quite understand unless a person is powerlifting in a competition.
  • taso42
    Options
    Okay so an uninformed question -- but why wear a belt at all? I don't quite understand unless a person is powerlifting in a competition.

here's a pretty good writeup
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/aa060201a.htm
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

it helps you stay tight during lifts. push your stomach into it and it stabilizes your back.

even if you aren't competing, lifting heavy is the thing to do.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'm approaching the point where the weights are getting closer to my 1-4 rep maxes. Sure I can lift that weight w/o a belt. But if I move slightly wrong or lose concentration, I risk injury and being out of the game for months. At this stage, I'd rather be safe than try to max out raw. ie... this is where I am. I'm 44, 33' waist, 175lbs. 5'7"

Bench. Going to try for a 1-2 count at 225lbs. my weakest lift but I don't wear a belt anyway.

Squats. I do 275lbs for reps of 3-4 w/ and w/o a belt. I prefer the belt though. Migght consider moving up to 285lbs soon.

Deads: I do 2 sets of 315lbs for 1-3 reps. My limiting factor is my grip. I have to let go of the bar sometimes not because I can't lift it but because I lose my grip.

These aren't super numbers for any serious lifter but they are heavy to me, that's for sure. haha
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    ^^Not bad numbers man.

I usually belt up w/ anything after the low 300s. So it definitely would be time to consider a belt.

W/ the grip thing, try some dead hangs from a pullup bar, or some farmer's walks w/ the heaviest DBs you can get.
    Or learn how to use over/under or the hook grip.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm approaching the point where the weights are getting closer to my 1-4 rep maxes. Sure I can lift that weight w/o a belt. But if I move slightly wrong or lose concentration, I risk injury and being out of the game for months. At this stage, I'd rather be safe than try to max out raw. ie... this is where I am. I'm 44, 33' waist, 175lbs. 5'7"

Bench. Going to try for a 1-2 count at 225lbs. my weakest lift but I don't wear a belt anyway.

Squats. I do 275lbs for reps of 3-4 w/ and w/o a belt. I prefer the belt though. Migght consider moving up to 285lbs soon.

Deads: I do 2 sets of 315lbs for 1-3 reps. My limiting factor is my grip. I have to let go of the bar sometimes not because I can't lift it but because I lose my grip.

These aren't super numbers for any serious lifter but they are heavy to me, that's for sure. haha

Are you using the reverse grip technique, and are you using gloves or straps. Make sure your hands are dry as heck or use glove with padded grip in the palm area if your hands are naturally small. For deadlifts I never used a belt really and If I do for some strange reason I go for the lighter belt. One thing that you can always do when you deadlift is to make sure your abdominal muscle has some type of contraction and bring your chest up as well.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I use over/under hand grip. I do have straps. And I should try to buy some chalk.

deads. I just need to get into that bad *kitten* attitude before the lift. You know?
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ^^Not bad numbers man.

I usually belt up w/ anything after the low 300s. So it definitely would be time to consider a belt.

W/ the grip thing, try some dead hangs from a pullup bar, or some farmer's walks w/ the heaviest DBs you can get.
    Or learn how to use over/under or the hook grip.

how much weight does wearing a belt add to your deadlift do you figure? i had a trainer once tell me you can lift 20% more weight with a belt on, but that seems high. i don't think the difference between a doing 4 plates a side vs 5 is simply just wearing a belt.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I think that's high. 10% maybe
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

how much weight does wearing a belt add to your deadlift do you figure? i had a trainer once tell me you can lift 20% more weight with a belt on, but that seems high. i don't think the difference between a doing 4 plates a side vs 5 is simply just wearing a belt.

I dont neccessarily say that it adds a lot to deads. But I wear it for support/protection.
    My form will slowly go to sh** if I'm not wearing a belt and pushing out w/ my stomach.

Squats feel much easier to me when I throw a belt on. So I do feel like my squats would be a lot lower if I didn't use a belt.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    The only time I really wear a belt for deadlifting is when I max out.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

Hey. Yesterday I was able to do 225lbs on the bench. One unassisted and 1 with a slight spot. And that's still with triple setting the bench with pull ups and lunges.

I was also able to do 185lbs on the incline for a 4 count
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    A belt doesnt really add weight in the way that wraps or a suit does. Some people speculate you can get a extra 5kgs out of a belt, but i think its more about form than weight. Im not sure why you would want it tighter to press than to squat though, plus its fiddly unscrewing your belt all the time, i personally dont belt up for pressing, but ive seen videos of Wendler wearing one to press