Running Routine

Options
urbansmamma
urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
I ran a half marathon back in June and did really well. I took it really easy in the beginning and had a really strong finish gradually increasing my speed in the last 5 miles and finished in an all out sprint. I was really happy with my run and have the itch to do a marathon, but I'm making myself do another half before I take on a full. So my next half marathon is in October and am wondering if running only 4 days a week is taking it too easy. Should I add another day on or two?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Some people do just fine with 4 days a week and others will respond to 5-7. It really depends on you. How many miles per week are you running? Are all the miles easy or are you doing speedwork/tempo/hills?
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Four days a week of running sounds great at this point in the game. Rather than adding more days of running, you might consider adding some cross-training, like a circuit class of some sort (P90-HIIT-Insanity).
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 20-25 miles per week and incorporating hills at least twice per week. I haven't done any speed or tempo work.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi I am getting ready for my first 13.1 in December. You may want to checkout http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

Good Luck to you.
    Patsy
  • jlshaw77
    jlshaw77 Posts: 23
    Options
    First off -- I have little actual experience. But I have been training for a 1/2 in Sept at 3 days/week, 1 long run, 2 runs 4-5 miles with speed and tempo work. I do strength work on 2 others days. It feels like enough so far and it is something that is manageable over the long term for me.