Study: Sodium-to-potassium ratio a key to heart health

Options
ronaldmcyd
ronaldmcyd Posts: 54 Member
I've been reading up on this, and it would seem the actual numbers of sodium and potassium you get each day don't matter as much as the ratio. From what I've come to understand your body uses potassium to get rid of sodium

they recommend twice as much potassium as sodium.

Replies

• ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    sounds about right.... MFP guidelines have me at 1500 sodium and 3500 potassium.

The days when my my sodium intake skyrockets.... I notice those foods usually don't have much potassium.
    When I stay dedicated and keep my sodium under 1500, my potassium is usually over and my calories are under goal.
  • ChrissieNer
    ChrissieNer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with high BP this week and now am trying to get informed. I had read how potassium affect sodium levels, but this ratio information is so helpful - thank you!!
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Welcome to the group Chrissie! There is a lot of good information in the forums and a lot of support. Together we can all get healthy and improve our BP.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Yes, welcome Chrissie. I have reduced my blood pressure substantially through weight loss and dietary changes alone. I focus on potassium rich foods (mostly fruits and veggies) and watch sodium. The K to Na ratio is very useful.

My blood pressure had been typically 145/95. Today it was 117/75. Yea!!!
  • ChrissieNer
    ChrissieNer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! And WTG, themedalist - that's a great reading!! I hope to learn as much as possible about hypertension through the forums and online. My mother, who's a recently retired RN and also has high BP is also a great source of info and support. This week I've been working on my low sodium diet (keeping it under 1400g) and increasing my potassium intake. I found great lists for potassium rich food online such as this one - http://potassiumrichfoods.com/potassium-rich-foods-list/ which is very helpful as I do a lot of home/from scratch cooking and don't plan on giving that up. I just need to focus more on creating healthier recipes and tweaking the favorites. It'll be a rewarding challenge!

I learned today that I have a slightly enlarged heart from my high BP and am waiting to hear from my doc whether I'll be put on another BP med to resolve this issue. Wish me luck!

In the meantime, my doc's PA suggested I purchase a BP monitor to to readings at home. Going to pick one up tomorrow. I'm assuming it's not difficult to learn how to read one's own BP, right? Any particular brand/model you'd recommend?
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group. I beleive I have to start watching my sodium intake - my BP is slightly high at times.
    I saw a doc today and it was 140 /90ish if I recall. I told her that my home cuff gives me lower readings (and yes I do know about the white coat phenomenon) however when I got home and tested it wasn't much bettter - perhaps the "good" readings I have been getting are because its 1st / last thing in the day and therefore not really applicable to the "real world".

With that intro over: sorry if this has been covered before but what's the word on salt alternatives like potassium chloride?

Thanks..
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Afraid I don't much alternative salt info for you... I've learned to do without salt and don't really miss it. initially i bought some DASH salt substitute, but never opened it.
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Afraid I don't much alternative salt info for you... I've learned to do without salt and don't really miss it. initially i bought some DASH salt substitute, but never opened it.
    Thanks Scott.
    I bought some of the potassium salt substitute as well over the weekend - so far I haven't openend it either! :-)