Loss of Lean Mass while in Ketosis

Options
Has anyone out there measured their BF% (with an accurate method such as Bod Pod) and found they were losing lean body mass?

Replies

• QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've not, but don't forget that you lose a lot of water when you get into ketosis which could show up as a loss of lean body mass.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what my BF% is but I will say that adding resistance training (just some push ups and pull-ups for me) has kicked me along nicely muscle-wise. Definitely more muscle these days.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would think that you would lose lean body mass by eating a high protein and lower fat and lower carb diet. Or by not working out as much due to fatigue?
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet should not result in extended fatigue. Cutting out carbs doesn't take away your body's energy source it just makes your body use a different energy source.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've not, but don't forget that you lose a lot of water when you get into ketosis which could show up as a loss of lean body mass.

This is a really good point, but I think I was actually out of ketosis when I got it done, as I had a slip up the night before, and one too many glasses of prosecco. Not sure if I would have rehydrated within about 24 hr though, so maybe it was the water. Anyway, I'm going to step on the weight training, and get it redone in another 13 lbs or so. I got a package of Bod Pod assessments, so I will know if it's working.
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet should not result in extended fatigue. Cutting out carbs doesn't take away your body's energy source it just makes your body use a different energy source.

Mine lasted about 3 weeks... it was horrible. But you're right - it went away.... once I increased my fiber and my carbs by about 10. Now I feel awesome!

I do not have more energy than when I ate carbs tho - many people say they do. I have less for sure. But not so little that it's a big deal. I'm guessing some of the lower energy is because I'm not high on sugar at all times! :)
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If you are eating enough protein and fat the chance of loss of lean muscle mass on a low carb diet is very, very unlikely. I've actually put on weight recently while lifting moderate weights, and a measurements of BF suggests a gain in lean mass with very little effort.

In the past with no effort (exercise) at all I was able to loose all fat and no lean mass on a very low carb diet (0-20g a day).
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've only measured via an electronic monitor but if anything I've maintained my lean mass while dropping weight. I start weight training again next week after a week off so I'm anxious to see if I can gain lean muscle during keto.