First Sprint Triathlon

Options
Hey, I'm hoping to get some insight from those who have previously completed a sprint triathlon. I have one on Sept 30th 2012, and it will be my first.

Any advice or helpful hints? I think my biggest worry would be transitions, which I know you're supposed to practice, and the bike to run portion.

It's an indoor swim then outdoor bike and run. I assume I'll be wearing my wet swimsuit through out, so will I be ok with shorts and a shirt to do my bike/run in?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

-Samantha

Replies

• justal123
    Options
    You could get a tri-suit and just wear that throughout - That will save you precious seconds in transition as you won't need to put anything on other than your shoes.

Al.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    I could, and if I enjoy this tri and want to do others in the future that may be a good investment. But since this is my first and I may not like it, I want to hold off on investing a lot.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    No..You will not be in a wetsuit..in a pool...or at least unless its less then 72 degrees..I wouldnt bother with a wet suit regardless for a sprint. You'll be struggling taking it off longer then your swim.
    The main thing with tris is your set up. Get organized at your bike station. Make sure your bike is racked properly. You have your helmet, sunglasses, gloves and shoes ready to go. All your bottles are filled and your Garmin is on and ready. Also have a towel on the ground with your running shoes out and un tied and socks ready to go. Visor out and number is attached to a spy belt/number belt.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Thanks CoronaLime! I assumed a swimsuit and throwing on running shorts or compression shorts would be alright for a first timer. It's a learning experience. The less I have into invest into something I may not like the better.

I will make sure I have everything orgainzed, that's a good point with the shoes and other items. Does my bike need a kickstand? Or do they just lay them down? Every tri is different.

This is their 4th time hosting it, but there wasn't a lot of information about the course other than the indoor swim and I think the run was through a park.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I had my first Tri yesterday and wondered about the same things you did - here's what I did & what I would do differently next time.
    Indoor swim done in usual swim trunks.
    Bike set up with number on it, compression top with number already pinned on, shorts and towel over the handlebars, shoes on the ground.
    I spent 2 minutes in T1, mostly trying to get dry socks on over wet feet - I noticed a few people filling their socks with talcum powder - would definitely do that next time! I wasted a lot of time trying to get a compression top on over a wet body - next time I'd wear a thin lycra compression top during the swim as it will dry out pretty quick once your out on the bike! I'd also pin my number to a snap on belt rather than onto the shirt.
    I use SPDs on the bike which meant in T2 I had to change shoes, which was another point where I could have saved some time - a few of the more serious athletes there had toe clips & straps rather than cleats and did the bike section in their running shoes.

Pace yourself, smile & enjoy the experience !!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much support you need you might want to add a sports bra under your swimsuit ...make sure your shorts are quick drying if your putting them on over a wet swimsuit

Have fun and enjoy
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first sprint triathlon yesterday (Sunday 8/12). I'll tell you about it and if you have any other questions, just let me know. First, let me say that I'm not a swimmer- I can swim, but I rarely like being in the water. Second, my workout routine includes jogging around 2-3 miles twice a week, weights once a week, and biking once a week at a 12-14 mph pace. There's some variation to that because I have 2 toddlers; I do what I can when I can.

The sprint was 300 yards of open water swimming (at a local lake), followed by an 11 mile bike on concrete through the park, and finally a 3 mile jog over an asphalt trail and dirt/pebble trail. I'll note more about the transition after I describe each section.

I'm glad the swimming cam first because it stressed me out just thinking about it. I took 14 minutes to complete, which I know is very slow. I swam freestyle for probably 75 yards and swam the other portion on my back. I went back and forth between the two. There were lifegaurds with noodles to help people who needed to stop for a break, and people on boats to help anyone who needed to be brought back in. While I was awful, I didn't have to stop for help and I got it done!

We went into the transititon area get our bikes. That went very smooth for me. I put on my shirt with the number already pinned, put on my helmet and gloves and walked my bike out. You can't ride your bike out of transition. There is a marker/sign that says when you can get on. We returned to transition the way we left from the bike ride. I finished in about 50 minutes. I'm normally quicker, but I hadn't counted on being so winded from swimming.

I dropped my bike, refreshed with some water and was off jogging. I jogged the 3 miles at about 35 minutes. Again, not my normal pace because I was fatigued. I normally keep a 10.5-11 mph pace. But I sprinted at the end and finished with an overall time around 1 hr 45 min. That was where I had expected to be, but only because I had over-estimated the swim time in my head.

Transitions: I'm very organized so that helped a bunch! I had a backpack with water, gatorade, a hand towel, socks, shoes, helmet, bike gloves, shirt, and nike watch. No headphones were allowed. I made sure my numbers were pinned on the shirt and stuck on my hemet the night before. When I set up my transition area, I had everything out in 2 groups: bike and run. I made sure and drank fluids during transition, but I wish I had remembered my goo/gatorade chews for that added boost. The one thing I didn't think of was a small mat to lay all my things on.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm not an expert, but feel free to ask me anything I might have forgotten. I was very nervous to do this, but I'm glad I did.

~Lindsay
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My first sprint is on Sunday and I have just started thinking about the transitions. I found this article very helpful: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=115

My bike is getting a quick adjustment but as soon as I get it back I'm going to do a couple of run-throughs. My swim may be in a lake, but may get moved to the pool at the last minute so need to practice both with wetsuit and without. I'm wearing a tri suit regardless, and plan on using a race belt for my run number. My only other decision is socks or no socks - will have to see if my shoes are broken in enough to not cause a blister and will see later this week

Good luck on yours! This is so exciting!
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My first sprint was Sunday. My best advice to you is to relax, and pace yourself well. I knew going into this that I wasn't really proficient with my breathing on the front crawl, something about not exhaling all the way, making myself hypoxic and feeling like I couldn't breathe. So, I opted for breast stroke for the better part of 500 yards. It was slow going, but I passed quit a few people that would take 4 or 5 strokes, get tired and tread water. I just told myself that I had to keep going.

I was worried about the transition, even though I read everywhere to practice them, I never got to, but set everything out neatly and in order. Our bikes were all set up on racks. There are quite a few people that get real serious about these events and they have very expensive bikes which they shave every extra bit of weight off and would never consider a kick stand, so don't worry about that.

Biking is my strongest event, so I used up most of my energy doing that. I caught up and passed quite a few people from the 3rd and 2nd wave, so I felt good about that, even though most of them passed me on the run.

Last transition into running was the worst only for the fact that after hammering that hard on the bike segment, my legs felt like warm cheese. I forgot to take off my bike gloves, but decided that they would be helpful in wiping away sweat. I also made the mistake of cramming 3 shot blocks in my mouth at once. I figured if I put them in the pocket of my wet tri top, they would just get sticky everywhere. Crappy too because my husband took a bunch of pics of me at this point and I look like I'm playing Chubby Bunny, Ugh!

I ran really slow, but again, didn't stop. I set a goal of 2 hours and came in around 1:45. I hope you can learn something from this rant, but I also think it's fun to share our stories on here. Best of luck to you and I hope to hear all about it! Cheers.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've never done a Triathlon from a pool but from what I've seen a lot of females that do tri's in a bathing suit just throw shorts and shirt over top of their swim suit. Usually quick drying clothes are the best as they'll dry pretty quick on the bike.

Transition set up for me is
    1. There is usually racks for bikes so for me the back of my seat goes on the bar. I've tried with the handle bars on it but it's quicker with just the seat.
    2. I have a mat laid on the ground that I can put my stuff on. There is rules as to how big this should be. It doesn't need to be that big.
    3. My running shoes are on the mat furthest away as they are the last change. Make sure they are open and elastic laces or quick tie laces are best as you don't need to fumble around with tying your shoes, again this saves precious time. I personally don't wear socks.
    4. Next on the mat closest to me is my bike shoes, again they are open so can be easily slipped on, I don't wear socks in these either.
    5. On top of my shoes is my helmet with straps open. Inside the helmet I have my sunglasses open.
    6. I use a race belt so it is sitting on top of my helmet open.
    7. If I'm going to use any energy gels I'll have them in my shoes so they don't get lost and take them out before putting on my shoes. They then go into my pockets.
    8. Water bottle is on the bike already. No need to waste time in transition taking a drink. Do it on the bike ride. The run has water stations as well.
    That's it for transition set up other than a towel is in there somewhere if needed.

t_16671-874-16249279.jpg

Practice Brick workouts. These are bike workouts with a run right after. It helps your legs get used to the transition from bike to run.

I usually get there an hour and a half before. It helps to register, get set up, do a warm-up jog. do some stretching, talk to others and wait in the long line-ups for the port-a-potties. I also like to try and get a warm-up swim in just before the race. I'm not sure if that's an option in pools though.

Relax and have fun. It's your first one so enjoy it. There's usually a lot of other first time people in a race. Everyone has fun.

Good Luck
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    My best advice? Don't over think it.

Wear what you want
    Ride the bike you have
    Run with the shoes you have.

Enjoy it, you only get one first triathlon, and it will be something you never forget.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 2nd sprint tri next month so I will definitely try to follow some of these tips too:smile:
    I wish mine was in an indoor pool you'll breeze by that section easy. My races include open water swims, so the waves and murky waters make it harder
    Oh but what I've learned from other races. Try and go to the bathroom early, that way they're not as gross and you don't have to wait in line
  • sasicek
    sasicek Posts: 11
    Options
    Because there is already a lot of good advice here, I am just going to say, that when I finished my first triathlon (and beat my friends that I thought were fitter than me) I was so overwhelmed with emotions that I actually did it, that I just sat down and cried. With happiness of course. It was just that awesome and I am a little bit jealous that you only experience that "first time" emotion once. So good luck, and most of all enjoy.
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! My first sprint is on Sunday, and I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind. :-)

Can't wait to be an Iron Girl!
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've just signed up for my first sprint triathlon.

I was just wondering what the atmosphere was like there? I'm doing it as a challenge - to see if I can get through to the finish. I'm not really concerned about my time.

Are there likely to be many people like me there? I don't think I'd feel comfortable if everyone is super-serious triathletes and I'm left looking like an unfit slob at the back....
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hey, I signed up for a sprint tri on Sept 9th (my first too!)

On Tuesday of last week I found a group about an hour and a half away that does weekly triathlons. It's 1/4 mile swim, 8k offroad bike, 5k trail run. I did it last week and it was TOUGH. But, it gave me a good idea about what happens during transitions, where you want to keep your stuff, how you want it lined up, how to pace yourself (DO NOT START THE SWIM AT FULL SPEED) and what it's like swimming with a bunch of other people. It was timed, an actual race, but most people were using these events as training and for self-improvement. I highly suggest looking for a group in your area that does triathlon training. Also, for a lot of triathlons they will let you go over the course the day before, or do some kind of introduction. Take advantage of every resource they give you.

The swim is the toughest part of the tri, mostly because you are swimming over and under other people. They will hit you in the face and they will knock you around a little bit. If you can find a way to accustom yourself to this part, do it! I consider myself a strong swimmer and I panicked a little bit last week. Glad I got that experience out of the way before the "real" tri.

As far as what to wear... Whatever you're comfortable swimming and running in. As per my picture... I wear Danskin tri shorts and a quick-drying top with mesh. Lots of people wear a swimsuit top and spandex shorts. Since this is a sprint distance, don't worry too much about padding in the seat, if you're comfortable doing an activity in it for 40 minutes then you'll be totally fine.

But yeah if you can, check to see if there's any tri training group near you!! Check meetup.com, they usually have triathlon groups.
  • pollard775
    pollard775 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    8. Water bottle is on the bike already. No need to waste time in transition taking a drink. Do it on the bike ride. The run has water stations as well.

I love number 8. Hydration during transitions was drilled into my head last year, so I made sure to drink during both transitions. I will definitely do number 8 this year. My sprint tri in a year is coming up on Sept 30. :smile:
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple more tips and things I wish I'd done on Sunday at my first sprint Tri:

1. if its going to be hot where you are, freeze your water bottles over night. They will melt before you need to drink them on the bike, but this way they'll be cold.

2. bring a headlamp or flashlight for the morning. You're more than likely setting up in the dark.

3. pace yourself! I went too hard on the bike and really paid for it on the run. Turns out I never rode that fast during any of my training bricks. LOL!

I think you'll be fine. Stay focused when you're in transition and practice, practice, practice with the exact gear you plan on wearing. Go to a pool in the suit you want to wear and do just what you think you'll do clothing wise for bike and run. See if it's going to work or if it chafes or is uncomfortable. you don't want any surprises on race day.

If you can go w/o socks, do it! Bodyglide around the openings of your shoes and powder inside should keep you from blistering and making getting shoes on easier.

Good luck! Have Fun! It was an absolute blast for me and I can't wait for my next race on September 16th. :bigsmile:
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have my first tri in 6 weeks (400m pool swim, 22k bike, 8k run), SO glad that I found this thread!

I'm stil undecided between tri suit or 2 piece (sports bra is a given). OH is a tri veteran and is trying to convince me I'll be fine, the transitions are worrying me a bit, as it going off route as I'm not very fast - are the routes usually signed/ stewards?
  • inuit
    inuit Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have done one team one and a full one. One thing when entering try and get your swim time fairly accurate. My first one i thought it would take me 12 mins in took me under 10 (i put a lot of work into get it down between entering and actually doing it) however, swimming with people going a lot slower is really hard, my first one i needed to overtake people, i got hit in the ribs by a particulary unhelpful man. lol. Got stopped dead a couple of times.

Practice stopping half way down the lane and restarting from deep water, stopping and changing your rythm is also important as is learning to breath both sides if you use front crawl. it can be quite a fight in the pool sometimes lol. abit of practising stopping and starting will help, i struggled abit the first time as it was a bit of a scrum. The second one went really well and felt a lot more prepared.

You will love them, everyone is really friendly, most of the field are there to just do their best not win.