Questions for those with experience with HIIT

Options
Hey all! I've been scouring the boards on MFP for the past couple of days, as well as the internet at large, looking for info on HIIT. I've seen that it's great for weight loss, that it's no better than anything else, etc. What I'm hoping for is opinions and thoughts from some of you who do or have done HIIT with EM2WL and your recommendations.

Here we go:

1. I have knee problems. They are getting better as I lose, but I've had them a long time, so I know they won't go away completely. I'm wondering if HIIT is even a good option for me with this.

2. Do you feel it is effective for weight loss?

3. From what I've read, it seems to sub for your standard cardio workout, but I've also read that it's hard on your body, so doing this plus lifting may put too much strain on your body. Do you feel this is accurate? I would love to ditch alot of cardio, if I'm honest, but I enjoy strength and lifting.

4. Assuming we're a go at this point, how frequently do you recommend? I'm trying to get an idea here as I want a good workout, but I don't want to injure myself to do it, and I'm alittle concerned about overuse. Would you recommend something like HIIT 3x/wk, strength/lifting 3x/wk? Never on the same day? You get the idea.

5. I currently do an intense yoga session 1x/wk, with 2-3 other yoga sessions per week. Strength/lifting 3x/wk, and pure cardio (think elliptical) 3x/wk.

Any advice or sharing your experiences with it would be greatly appreciated! I'm still looking for more information about it in hopes something will just click. Thanks in advance!

Candace

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I am curious. . . .what is HIIT?
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    High Intensity Interval Training....and I know no more about it than the OP.
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think Kiki or Lucia just posted something about Cardio/HIIT on EM2WL facebook page. Check it out. I will try to find the link and post it. It will answer some of your questions
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think Kiki or Lucia just posted something about Cardio/HIIT on EM2WL facebook page. Check it out. I will try to find the link and post it. It will answer some of your questions

Here you go:

http://workout911.com/?p=2790
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I only do HIIT once a week and it's usually on an elliptical to reduce impact.
  • candace_ndiaye
    candace_ndiaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And thanks to konswela for the link; I'll check it out :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I also do it just once per week usually.

I have read that it's best to have all types of cardio in your routine...HIIT and steady state. I walk a few times a week at a moderate pace and then do some HIIT training like spin class or treadmill intervals.
  • candace_ndiaye
    Options
    Thanks all! I think what I'm going to do it try to do HIIT 2x/wk and steady cardio 1x/wk for two weeks as a kindof test, and see how it goes and if I feel like I'm getting anything out of it.

Continue lifting and yoga a couple of times a week.

I'll report back and let everyone know my experience with it. Have a good weekend all!
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I do it once or twice per week for about 20-25 minutes. I also don't have the greatest knees though I feel NROLFW is helping with my leg strength which helps to support my weak knees. I usually do my intervals on the elliptical too because running, especially on the treadmill is the worst for my knees. My favorite part of it is that it's quick. I can get a great workout in a shorter period of time, and I don't always have a long time to work out. I enjoy brisk walks with my son and dog twice per week and do strength training 2-3 times/week. I'd rather do my steady state cardio outside, so this works for me.

As far as fat loss, it's difficult for me to say, really. I have lost about 8 lbs since the end of May doing what I described above. I was at a sort of plateau for the entire first stage of New Rules, I think do to the muscle mass I was gaining combined with the related water retention. This morning I weighed and had a three pound loss since I haven't lifted for the last week. I have definitely become more toned/lost inches even while I weighed the same.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Ideally, I would do HIIT once a week. It is hard on your body and can cause injury, so if your body says you are going too hard, listen to it.

I say ideally because my workouts have been so out of whack the last two months for a variety of reasons (right now it's pneumonia). My ideal schedule would be like this:
    M: long slow run
    T: lift
    W: tempo 5k run
    R: HIIT
    F: lift

With some walks/rides in evenings and weekends with the family (while it is nice out anyway).
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    NROL4W adds in brief (15-20 minutes) HIIT sessions in Stage 3, I believe, following the B workout (which means that if you're lifting three times a week, you'd be doing HIIT 1-2 times a week). They recommend doing this on the same day following the weight workout.

I've actually added HIIT to my Stage 1 workouts, because I enjoy it. The bursts are certainly more intense, but I would think that longer, sustained sessions would actually be harder on your knees. That certainly seems to be the case for me.
  • candace_ndiaye
    Options
    Thanks all! Well, as of yet, I've not added it in. Very much off my schedule this last week; I've completely dropped the ball on my workouts for the most part. But I'm getting back at it; going hiking with a friend on Friday.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I've been alternating HIIT and lifting, with a rest day or two. I do mine for 20-25 mins and on the elliptical, so it's not so hard on the knees.