Should I do a reset?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking to start losing weight after several years of consciously not dieting (because of eating disorder recovery) and am trying to find a healthy way to lose weight without starving myself on 1000 calories a day. However, I'm still a little fuzzy on the details. I've calculated that I should be eating around 1700 calories a day after calculating my BMR (1546) and TDEE (2125). Does 1700 cal sound like enough based on my numbers? I was wondering if it's necessary to do a total reset since I haven't been keeping track of calories at all (and have not lost weight in a long time). I really don't want to GAIN more weight while I'm trying to lose.

Thank you for your help! I am so encouraged by this community of people who have realized that you don't have to lose your life to lose weight. :)

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome!
    I think you found the right place to lose weight in a healthy way
    If you have not been on low cals a reset is not needed.
    I would not do more than a 15%cut maybe even only 10% depending on how much you have to lose.
    I am glad to hear you found your way out of the ED.
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, Noor! I should have added that I'm trying to go from 200 lbs to 140 lbs. What percent cut would you recommend?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Start off with 15% and see how it goes. We never recommend to go higher, cause your body needs enough fuel to let willingly go of the lbs. If you cut too high the opposite will happen.
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you!