over 40's...is it just impossible for us to lose weight?

Options
I have been watching out, working out, staying active, my darn scale would NOT move. I am just frustrated and my motivation, like metabolism is starting to run thin. This wasn't always the case, when I was younger losing 5 lbs in a week or two was the norm. I would love to hear some success stories for us, women over 40 losing a ton of weight. any tips would be awesome too!

Replies

• ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible, just tougher than it used to be. It's vital to unhook from what you used to be able to do.That 5 pounds a week isn't feasible anymore - or even advisable. Every move you're making to eat better and move more is beneficial, so don't feel like your effort is wasted. Every day you start to look and feel better, which has value regardless of the scale moving.

I had a nearly 10 month plateau that just ended where I lost and gained the same four pounds over and over while trying various strategies - eating more, eating less, lifting heavy - until I caved and started seeing a nutritionist who could give me some more accurate guidance on my best calorie intake. With her advice I have greatly increased the quality of what I'm eating even though calorie-wise I'm only about 100-200 calories before where I was. I also shelved the heavy weight training in favor of more cardio and resistance training (still want to maintain the muscle mass I built in the last year). This past week I saw the lowest number on the scale since 1998 and I feel confident I'm headed in the right direction. I'm convinced that it's really about the quality of what we eat and getting regular activity - even if it's just a daily walk - that makes the difference.
  • jennie222
    Options
    thank you for the sheer light of optimism! I have been losing and gaining 4-5lbs for last 15 months. I should take a good look at what I am eating.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Agree--not impossible, just harder. Great advice from ruststar. Diet has to be a lot stricter, I've noticed. But there's no way could I have gone out and run 5 miles 20 years ago like I can now so you can definitely still be successful :flowerforyou:
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in May and yes, its totally possible to lose weight if you are older. I joined MFP on the 6th Jan '12 and in 220 days, I have lost 75lb's (34kg's).

At the onset I went to both my doctor and his nutritionist and they have me on a very strict routine. I have eliminated all wheat and gluten due to health issues. My daily sodium intake is 1500mg per day and not the recommended 2500mg. I drink a minimum of 12 cups (250ml) of water per day. I keep processed foods to the absolute minimum due to all the hidden sodium, fats, wheat and sugars. Eat a ton of fresh vegetables and lean meats. I exercise 6 days a week. Remember that we are all different and our bodies will respond differently.
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    It's hard and I've lost and gain back 30 pounds. Great advice here that's why I haven't totally quit. I hope to see a nutritionist next time I see my Dr.
  • pammee44
    pammee44 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this post, I needed it today too. I'm almost 44 (November) and have been feeling the stress of working out like crazy and the pounds not coming off at all, instead some are coming on. I know a lot is muscle, but the pounds coming on are frustrating the hell out of me. I need to back off of myself and reevaluate my eating I think. UGH!

Good luck to everyone and those that have lost good work and thanks for the motivation!
  • claresusan
    claresusan Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Helenasnan
    Helenasnan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    journal every thing you eat...its the best way to catch BLT's (bites, licks and tastes)
    its not impossible, just takes time and patience.....
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The weight coming off may be a bit slower but it is not impossible. I think of it like a marathon race. You may not be the fastest runner but you WILL cross the finish line as long as you do NOT give up. You cannot let your mind dictate your progress.
    You can do it !
  • bummy0325
    bummy0325 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm 47 and can't lose a single pound to save my life. In fact, over the past 3 months I have gained 15 pounds (despite a hefty workout) and am very pissed off about it because in 2014 I lost about 30 pounds but now I'm heading back into those clothes that got too big. I have actually stopped working out because I'm depressed seeing it have the opposite effect. I'm getting married in 10 months so it would be nice to lose anything.

I do have peri-menopausal symptoms of which weight gain is one of them. Grrrr. I haven't been to a doctor about this specifically yet. I've started weighing and writing down everything I eat and am cutting out anything "junky" completely - even if it's just a taste of something. Being Italian, it's hard but I can do it! I haven't tried the gluten thing yet though - is that something I should ask about?

I don't go crazy with drinking water, although I keep myself hydrated well. The water thing has been a medical myth for decades (however not a bad one!) but there is water in pretty much everything we eat so if I don't drink a ton of it, I don't get mad at myself. But, if anyone has any suggestions on menopausal weight loss I would greatly appreciate it!
  • j9swimer
    j9swimer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi (waving) ... new to this group, but not to MFP. Wanted to say that starting in my mid 40s I began to put on weight. I figured I would simply reduce my daily calories, and up the exercise. This plan did not work. I was gaining weight, especially belly fat, despite eating low-fat, low calorie (about 1500/day)! Fast forward to mid 50's and damn... I found myself wearing size 16s and 40 to 50 lbs heavier than I believed was healthy for me!

Blood tests revealed I was "insulin resistant" and my calorie counting, low-fat diet was the wrong way FOR ME to eat if I wanted to be healthy (and less fat). I want to emphasize here that whatever I write is true for me (N of 1), and may not apply to others here. I recognize that it is standard in the weight-loss arena to talk about low-fat and calories as the key, but for me, a low-fat diet, even one with reduced calories, caused weight gain!

After learning of my insulin resistance, and at the encouragement of an MD, I eliminated the 3 basic food categories that caused the spiky sugar (and hence the easy ability to put fat on):
    #1 - refined carbs (wheat, rice, oats too!)
    #2 - refined sugars (including honey, maple syrup, agave syrup)
    #3 - milk products (especially non fat and low fat milk products) with the exception of full fat cream/sourcream/full fat cheeses.
    I also altered the kind of fruits I ate (more berries, less other fruits).
    And finally, I increased my fat consumption (my MD was picky about the kind of fats I consumed).

Without counting macros or calories, but attempting to follow the basic guidelines above, I quickly dropped about 15 lbs. Then I joined MFP and started keeping track of numbers and began to get a good feel of this new way of eating. When I joined MFP my goal was to lose an additional 37 more lbs. I lost 28 lbs and have easily maintained the weight loss (total is 43 lbs since Summer 2013). But now ... I am aiming for that final 9 lbs off by New Years, so will likely need to watch the macro numbers and keep the calories in balance with energy output too!

Again, I can not say that the way I eat is exactly right for every female 40+. I only know that for me, it is working for my over-all health and keeps my weight in check ... even allows me to loose. I feel better than ever, my joints no longer ache, and I am not "puffy". Oh, and zero hot flashes too (but they might have gone away no matter what?). Oh... and I am now age 60! So, have hope those of you who are struggling. The key could be in the macro percentages that work best for your health and well being.
  • sbrmom
    sbrmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! New to this group, sort of new to MFP. I am 45, a former college athlete (volleyball), and in the last 10 years I have been doing triathlons off and on. Once I hit 40, though, it became much harder to stay at a certain weight or even lose.

My weight has stayed in an "ok" range and I know I probably will not get down to my volleyball days weight (145 and I am 5'9"), but in the last year my weight has gone up to 185 and that is not comfortable for me! Ideally, I would like to be at 155-160 and I know there are areas in my eating habits that need to change (Frappacinos, wine with dinner, sugar addiction, etc.) and I am working on those, but man, it is hard!

So, I am hoping that some accountability will keep me on track. I am also looking for ideas, encouragement and a swift kick in the butt to make some changes!

Thanks for reading! -Melissa