The basics please !!

Options
Watched the recent Horizon program on the benefits of fasting and instantly hooked.

Just started doing Alternate day fasting ( 4 days ) ,a day is from getting up in the the morning through to going to bed in the evening.

Read a lot of the posts in the group forum and did not know you can set set uptime frames to eat,ie 8/16 & 6/18.

I am eating 1200 cals and 500 cals alternately each day .Enjoying it so far,but would loke a few more guideline /rules to follow and stick to.

Any help appreciated ?

Replies

• maidofstone
    maidofstone Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm not 100% sure on the rules, as there are all different ways to do fasting, i just follow the john sons updaydownday diet, i looked on the website,.

I'm eating slightly less on up days than suggested though, i'm actually doing similar to you.

Some down days i just drink water as i find it easier than eating the 500 cals .

I'm struggling to get online at the min with the summer hols and 3 kids!, but i shall be be on properly soon ,

When did you start and how much weight have you lost so far?

I've actually lost about 10lbs but i only joined MFP recently and just started logging from scratch, the weight loss has slowed right down now though :( hope to get it moving again soon.

good luck let me know how you get on x
  • jennelinow
    jennelinow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The fasting gives people a lot of options to make sure you pick something you can handle, I think as with all diets the key here is what works for you and what can you stick with. Some people do 18/6, 18 hr fast 6 hrs eating, Im on the 5:2 where you eat 500 for womenn 600 for men, 2 days a week. Even there some people eat one big meal for breakfast some eat 500 for dinner. I find it easier to have a piece of fruit for breakfast then load up on low cal raw veggies for lunch and have a 200 or so calorie dinner. Or as maidofstone noted some people find it easier just not to eat. Most details are online and you might need to try some styles to see whats best for you.
  • Lazychu
    Lazychu Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm new too, today is my first day of fasting and it seems to be going ok so far. I watched the Horizon programme too. Does the 5:2 give the same benefits as ADF and do I have to fast for two days together or can I separate them?
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options

I am eating 1200 cals and 500 cals alternately each day .Enjoying it so far,but would loke a few more guideline /rules to follow and stick to.

Any help appreciated ?

I think that's a bit low, really. As I understand it, Dr. Mosely eats whatever he wants on his "up" days. Obviously, we should eat nutritious food. I just don't think there's any need to count calories on those days.

I track my calories out of curiosity - just to see what I'm eating. However, I'm not obsessively weighing and logging everything, so my accuracy is not as great as it is on the days I restrict calories.
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with Katy, 1200 calories are not enough for your up day:smile:

Here is a link to the BEST site I have found on the internet about alternate day dieting, I have lurked there for many, many weeks, and read the forums before I decided to give it a try. I lost 11 pounds my first month...and no it was not water weight, because at that time I had already been dieting for over 4 month, so the water was gone. Go check it out, it will give you all the information you need, you can stay in the background and just read like I did, but I did eventually "come out" LOL. The girls there are great and of SOOO much help, I think you will love it there!:smile:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/